Author Topic: Cheapo Level Pak topic  (Read 170926 times)

Online Proxima

• View Profile
Re: Cheapo Level Pak topic
« Reply #420 on: April 26, 2005, 08:20:27 PM »
Sure, I'll PM my solution to Up the Pipe....... but I honestly have no idea what yours can be! (Though I suspect it's similar.)

As for The Careless Level, certainly there is what guest calls "the route-obvious factor"; there's also the factor of how hard it is to execute the correct route, but as I said on reflection I do think it belongs in the first category.

Still haven't solved Stairway to Somewhere.......

Offline Shvegait

• View Profile
« Reply #421 on: April 26, 2005, 08:37:41 PM »
Ahribar, Stairway to Somewhere took me a long time to figure out... You really have to wrap your mind around it and think of every possibility. I'm actually mad at myself that it took so long to get right because one of my levels (Try Climbing That, Lv. 8 in my LemEdit Remake set, which, by the way, has anyone tried yet...? Link is a few pages back if you haven't and want to...) is similar in that you have builders but no destructors and need to find a path that works. This is really a great level as a mind puzzle and it should at least be moved up to Menacing! It took me more time to figure out than any one level of Menacing...

Insane Steve: Chaotic 4 causes a crash for me. Any idea why? It looks like it uses your ISWorld style, but I haven't had any problems with that on your other levels.

Offline chaos_defrost

• the artist formerly known as Insane Steve
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: April 26, 2005, 11:19:46 PM »
Wait, I think I know. The ISWorld in the file MIGHT be an outdated version -- because Chaotic 4, and the two ISWorld levels in Set #4 all use the new music, and the old ISWorld style doesn't have this song. I'll need to upload the new ISWorld soon.

"Stairway To Somewhere" was, I think, the 3rd to last level in the first set of my notebooks. However, the last level was never used in this set* (Because it is a bit too similar to a couple levels later in the set, like A Towering Proposition, and "Honey, I Shrunk the Levels" [Which I've yet to re-make, but it goes in the middle of Set #4]) -- And the second to last level was the level that is now "The Rainbow Road" and I moved that one to Set #2, replacing the second to last level with 4 Pillars and a Trap, which was initially Difficult 23. Still other levels in my notebooks do not work in Cheapo. For example, a one of each task replica of "Keep your Hair in Mr. Lemming" (now with the "mine on steel to turn" trick removed) cannot work because the miner and bomber task work differently. I did a lot of moving levels around for my sets, and removed a lot of the levels whose solutions were too similar (That is, were superfluous). I've only got about 10-15 actual levels in my notebook to re-create... The other 25 or so will need to be designed on the spot. Maybe I can try and alter some of the levels I'm not using to make them unique.

*Think "Origins and Lemmings", but with only climbers, floaters, miners, and diggers given to you.
"こんなげーむにまじになっちゃってどうするの"

~"Beat" Takeshi Kitano

Online Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #423 on: April 27, 2005, 06:58:06 AM »
OK, I've passed Stairway to Somewhere, but if my solution is anything like right it should definitely go in the next category....... so that's all of Difficult passed. Moving on to Menacing now!

drumnbach

« Reply #424 on: April 27, 2005, 12:29:36 PM »
Just finished "Tribute to Benny Hill", and what a crazy looking level that was! They don't call ya Insane Steve for nuthin'...

Offline Isu

• View Profile
« Reply #425 on: April 27, 2005, 12:40:43 PM »
I'm yet to pass "Four pillars and a trap". HELP! &#A0;X_X
Once I finish that, I'd have completed difficult

Oh and I skipped ahead to Hopeless and kinda wished I hadn't. The first level doesn't particularly give you any leeway in the department of time does it?

Online Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #426 on: April 27, 2005, 01:38:03 PM »
OK..... a couple of hints for "Four Pillars". Hope Insane Steve doesn't mind.

You've got exactly four destructive skills, so you'll use one to break each pillar. The use of the other skills should be obvious except maybe the builder. All I'll say is that the builder is also there to help you break through the pillars.

Online Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #427 on: April 27, 2005, 02:35:49 PM »
OK, I've passed Menacing now.

My thoughts on the levels I hadn't seen before:

The Suicide Pact: both very clever, but once you've got one the other one's obvious.

Quaint Spiral: aaaaargh! (Though thank God for Cheapo's direction selecting.)

The Rainbow Road: cunning indeed -- but you really have to be precise with the blocker and bomber.

The Narrows: seemed rather straightforward, but the difficulty of executing the solution made up for the obviousness. If you wanted to put a harder version in a later set you could restrict the builders to 12.......

Triple Threat: I hate you for this. How dare you say that it looks easy?  :P  Actually, once you do a bit of thinking it's quite a bit _more_ straightforward than it looks, but the route is hard to find.

An Idiot's Tale: frustration city. At least you get a spare builder.

Offline chaos_defrost

• View Profile
« Reply #428 on: April 27, 2005, 08:20:29 PM »
@ drumnbach: Did "Tribute to Benny Hill" take you longer than 10 minutes? If not, you found a back-route and I need to fix it.

Speaking of fixed: The revised ISWorld file can be found HERE. It is needed to play Chaotic 4 and the two ISWorld levels in the Hopeless set.

Stairway to Somewhere... maybe it should go in Set #2. I'll see what other levels I can find for Set #1 -- if I can't find any fillers for #1, I can always make them -- levels of moderate difficulty aren't that hard to degisn.

"Inner Sanctum" is one of the few levels I've ever made where the timer is the biggest problem to passing the level. (Beat the Clock! has more of a puzzle element. -- Inner Sanctum has a rather direct route, but you have to be really fast to pass it.)

If anyone wants to give additional hints for the levels, I don't mind at all.
"こんなげーむにまじになっちゃってどうするの"

~"Beat" Takeshi Kitano

Online Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #429 on: April 27, 2005, 09:15:23 PM »
Well, maybe before making such a radical change as moving the level completely I'd better share my solution -- it's likely I've yet again found a harder one than the intended, which seems to be my specialty.

So I'll PM you with me "Stairway" solution and also "The Narrows" just because there's something I'm curious about on that level.

Continuing with the Chaotic set -- up to The Razor's Revenge now.

Offline Shvegait

• View Profile
« Reply #430 on: April 28, 2005, 11:02:54 PM »
Insane Steve, I doubt my solution to "A Tribute to Benny Hill" took more than 10 minutes, either... I wondered why you gave so much time...

Where did you get that awful music for "Super Happy Fun Panic Level"!? I wanted to pass it fast so I could get on to some better songs  X_X

As for "The Lobby", I'd argue the solution is rather obvious. There is really only one place you could potenitally use each tool. The annoying part of that level wasn't figuring out the solution, but timing the last part...

Up to "Rhapsody". I don't think I ever passed your LemEdit version (but believe me, I tried!), so this will be interesting :)

Offline chaos_defrost

• View Profile
« Reply #431 on: April 28, 2005, 11:52:12 PM »
I quite like the music to "Super Happy Fun Panic Level" -- but I will admit that it is rather ... strange... then again, so is the entirety of the ISWorld style.

I think I have an idea for a revision for the myriad of back-routes to "Tribute to Benny Hill" -- and I plan to switch the locations of it and "The Lobby" once I change it, because the revision will probably make the level somewhat harder to figure out. It should also result in only the intended (10+ minute) route being possible.

I may have a new version of the sets up (with one or two new levels and the glaring back-routes eradicated [I hope])) Saturday.
"こんなげーむにまじになっちゃってどうするの"

~"Beat" Takeshi Kitano

Offline Isu

• View Profile
« Reply #432 on: April 29, 2005, 08:13:21 AM »
I made a level that needs backroute testing.

It's here

I feel it maybe prone to various backroutes and I would like some feedback on it

Thanks

Online Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #433 on: April 29, 2005, 08:33:27 AM »
 Thanks for the level, ISU! I'm PMing you my solution.

Shvegait: if you liked "Rhapsody", you might want to have a look at a sequel to it I made (with Insane Steve's permission): http://www.geocities.com/zarathustra47/Rhapsody.ZIP

(And Insane Steve: you might want to have another look at that level, since it's been rather de-backrouted since you last saw it.)

Offline Isu

• View Profile
« Reply #434 on: April 29, 2005, 01:45:17 PM »
Dang! your solution is a backroute  X_X. You're not supposed to use the bomber, it's there for consistency. How long did it take you to find the solution though? If it took you long enough I might just leave it in there.