Author Topic: Cheapo Level Pak topic  (Read 170802 times)

Offline chaos_defrost

• the artist formerly known as Insane Steve
    • View Profile
Re: Cheapo Level Pak topic
« Reply #405 on: April 25, 2005, 03:30:34 AM »
Level 10 has a backroute -- one I carelessly tried to fix but failed to. I changed it a bit, and will re-upload the set later tomorrow. The backroute no longer works.

Level 17 was in one of my LemEdit packs. I think it was either 8.1 or 9.1, not sure. I know it was the first level. There's a few levels in there you'll have seen in my LemEdit packs if you've played them.

Thanks for the comments thus far! As I said, the first couple sets shouldn't be that bad; all the hard ones are in the other two sets.
"こんなげーむにまじになっちゃってどうするの"

~"Beat" Takeshi Kitano

Offline Shvegait

• View Profile
« Reply #406 on: April 25, 2005, 04:31:41 AM »
Level 17 was in one of my LemEdit packs. I think it was either 8.1 or 9.1, not sure. I know it was the first level. There's a few levels in there you'll have seen in my LemEdit packs if you've played them.

Ah! That was it (8th pack). Thanks :)

Offline Isu

• View Profile
I.S's notebook
« Reply #407 on: April 25, 2005, 12:14:05 PM »
Tell me which ones are busted, and I'll add the style to be downloaded.

I can't play any level with the same style as the first level in difficult, and many others close the game. I have that problem with a lot of your levels. In fact, it's so many that it isn't funny anymore

Online Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #408 on: April 25, 2005, 12:56:36 PM »
OK, I've looked through all of Adam's levels -- some I'd seen before, of course -- haven't actually completed them all yet though.

Quote from: Shvegait  link=1089162351/390#399 date=1114366689
Level 3: Why do you need the hidden exit? I managed to save them both in the visible exit.

Levels 5 and 19: Hint, please!? I can't imagine how you can do that with only 2 diggers, but maybe I'm missing something....

The hidden exit is, I guess, a jest, like that on "I've lost that lemming feeling" -- the visible one is the main one.

Your hint for level 5: you only need one digger! And almost exactly the same solution solves level 19. Very clever  :D

Time to try Insane Steve's levels now......

Special_Gunpowder

« Reply #409 on: April 25, 2005, 01:22:45 PM »
Quote from: Ahribar  link=1089162351/405#408 date=1114433796
The hidden exit is, I guess, a jest, like that on "I've lost that lemming feeling" -- the visible one is the main one.

I put one of those in my level "Bricklayer's guide" as well.

Offline Shvegait

• View Profile
« Reply #410 on: April 25, 2005, 01:27:13 PM »
Your hint for level 5: you only need one digger! And almost exactly the same solution solves level 19. Very clever

When I played those levels, the skills were messed up. I've beaten 19, now I'll go try 5.

Online Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #411 on: April 25, 2005, 02:02:17 PM »
I've played all of Insane Steve's "Difficult" levels; so far beaten all except "Up the Pipe" and "Stairway to Somewhere". Thoughts so far (on those I hadn't seen before):

Minimalist Quandry -- should be Quandary. Other than that, nice level.

Persistance Builds Character -- should be Persistence. Very annoying, but simple to solve.

Beat the Clock! -- very clever. Took me a couple of goes before I twigged.

The Lemming Mental Insitution -- good fun, especially to go for 100%!

Twin Paradox -- both very clever, but your hint to part two is wrong. I had two skills left : climber and floater.

The Careless Level -- is the direct route meant to be impossible? I found it easy, but then I couldn't think of any other way to solve it. Yet the hint suggests there is one......

The last two I might comment on when I've solved them!

Offline Shvegait

• View Profile
« Reply #412 on: April 25, 2005, 02:26:46 PM »
Twin Paradox -- both very clever, but your hint to part two is wrong. I had two skills left : climber and floater.

No... seems you found a backroute.

The Careless Level -- is the direct route meant to be impossible? I found it easy, but then I couldn't think of any other way to solve it. Yet the hint suggests there is one......

I beat it the direct way as well...

Right now I'm up to Menacing 14: "Mental Process". The first half of menacing is easier than the last few of Difficult. Fun levels still :) "The Narrows" was a little annoying, I wonder what the intended solution is... or is it supposed to be just one of those you have to fudge?

Online Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #413 on: April 25, 2005, 05:27:12 PM »
Shvegait's sent me his solution to "Twin Paradox 2", so it seems I do have a backroute after all.

Block. Build a bridge to just touch the wall. One bashes through from top of bridge, another bashes a hole in the bridge. First basher builds to exit; stretch bridges so he hits the wall and turns. Make him a bomber to get the other lemmings up the "step".

(If you want my advice for a fix, you could move the exit platform a little further so that stretching the bridge far enough to hit it is impossible. My solution could still work by making one lemming in the crowd a climb-bomber, but then I think you'd have two solutions of equal value, not a backroute -- which I always consider a good thing.)

Offline chaos_defrost

• View Profile
« Reply #414 on: April 25, 2005, 08:11:15 PM »
@ISU -- You accidently copied the "ISWorld" style into the set folder. The very first level is with the ISWorld style -- and so are about 10 or so levels in the entire pack series.

"Twin Paradox 2" is a back-route, and one I can't seem to think of how to fix right now. Granted, Ahribar, your solution isn't THAT much different than mine, although mine is set up so that you need the climber.

"The Careless Level" is not meant to be directly cleared. A simple piece of steel may be able to fix that back-route. Looks like the title was more accurate than I intended.  X_X

"The Narrows" has a certain trick-ish thing required to pass it; it isn't a "direct, fudge the level" kind of level. Can you send me your solution so I can see if I can remove it (If it's too different than I had intended)?

Thanks for the comments thus far -- The first few levels of each set should be somewhat easier than the last levels of the previous set -- when I first made these levels, it was assumed that the player would not be able to play the levels in any order, so I set it up so the first few levels of a set were a bit easy overall.
"こんなげーむにまじになっちゃってどうするの"

~"Beat" Takeshi Kitano

Online Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #415 on: April 25, 2005, 08:21:30 PM »
Quote from: Insane Steve  link=1089162351/405#414 date=1114459875
"Twin Paradox 2" is a back-route, and one I can't seem to think of how to fix right now. Granted, Ahribar, your solution isn't THAT much different than mine, although mine is set up so that you need the climber.

You didn't like my fix? It would result in my route still being possible, but now needing the climber as well.

Offline chaos_defrost

• View Profile
« Reply #416 on: April 25, 2005, 08:44:17 PM »
How many pixels would I need to move the platform?
"こんなげーむにまじになっちゃってどうするの"

~"Beat" Takeshi Kitano

Online Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #417 on: April 26, 2005, 11:02:27 AM »
Ten. (Or fourteen to make my route completely impossible but leave yours in.) Incidentally, IMO the placement of the initial view window on that and some other levels is not ideal.

- - -

I solved Up the Pipe, but my solution seems to be different from yours yet again, since I needed all the skills.

Online Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #418 on: April 26, 2005, 11:19:49 AM »
I also solved The Careless Level the intended way. Neat -- I had doubts about whether it was in the right category, but on reflection I think it is. Nice of you to provide two more builders than needed, for one thing.

Offline chaos_defrost

• View Profile
« Reply #419 on: April 26, 2005, 07:57:17 PM »
Ok. I realise that opening window placement is spotty in a lot of my levels. It's something that tends to be an afterthought -- if and when I finish it, I will move the window to the right place.

The reason the intended solution to "The Careless Level" still keeps it in set #1 is because, once you realise that you shouldn't be able to build over the gap directly, what else can you do?

14 pixels? That's about a block width. I can remove one block and add a few pixels to the overhang. Thank you.

"Up The Pipe" is one of those levels that I honestly can't think of another route to. In my route, a lemming is made a blocker that isn't made a climber, but the other 59 eventually are. Can you send me what you did?

Shvegait, your route for "The Narrows" is kind of what I didn't want to be possible when I first made it. Couple pieces of steel should fix it.

Thanks for the comments. I need to re-make a few of these levels; I'll re-upload it all when I have finished.
"こんなげーむにまじになっちゃってどうするの"

~"Beat" Takeshi Kitano