Author Topic: Cheapo Level Pak topic  (Read 171045 times)

Special_Gunpowder

Re: Cheapo Level Pak topic
« Reply #285 on: April 08, 2005, 04:18:14 PM »
Ahriba, that does indeed sound like a backroute for level #4. Care to e-mail me at "purpletraitor[at]msn[dot]com" with the details?

Conway: Builder vs. Boulder only requires 2 blockers and 98%. Bear in mind that there are a LOT of builders at your disposal. Also, I am aware of that climber bug which I've had to work round in several different levels (check out that extra bit of pipe at the bottom of the one way wall in The Laserium!) but fortunately The Needy Bunch is still possible. Again, think about the builders!

That "Revolutions..." one sounds like it MAY be a backroute, although it's kind of designed so that there's more than one way of doing it. But feel free to e-mail me with your solution for it as well so I can check.

Oh, and there is no level called "Why Bother?" That's the name of the level pack. You're not thinking of "Oh well" by any chance are you?

Conway

« Reply #286 on: April 08, 2005, 04:28:22 PM »
Yes, 'Oh Well' is the level I passed with 2 diggers left!

I'll have to try 'The Needy Bunch' again knowing it's definitely possible.

I'll get on PMing you my solution to 'Revolutions' . . .

Again, cool levels! I've just passed 'Bricklayer's Guide to the Galaxy', and it seems quite badly placed. I found it far easier than a lot of levels before it, and I saved 100%.

Special_Gunpowder

« Reply #287 on: April 08, 2005, 04:32:15 PM »
Yeah, that shouldn't happen. I think I know where the backroute is on "Bricklayer's Guide" though, and have eliminated it for next time...I hope.

Speaking of which, I forgot to answer your question about which levels were updated for backroutes: levels 6 and 17 were the ones.

Conway

« Reply #288 on: April 08, 2005, 05:30:04 PM »
Out of curiosity, what was the backroute to level 6?

Special_Gunpowder

« Reply #289 on: April 08, 2005, 06:12:01 PM »
I don't want to give away too much but the original release rate was 50.

Conway

« Reply #290 on: April 08, 2005, 06:33:29 PM »
Is that the only change? Because I've just tried it the way I'd done before (which didn't rely on a release rate) and couldn't seem to do it the same way. But I'm sure it's still possible, unless other changes have been made . . .

Special_Gunpowder

« Reply #291 on: April 08, 2005, 06:50:31 PM »
No, the release rate is the only change. I did attempt to alter the landscape at one point but that just invoked even bigger shortcuts, so I've kept it the same and just increased the rate a bit.

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #292 on: April 08, 2005, 07:23:53 PM »
I've sent my backroute on Level 4 by e-mail.

Special_Gunpowder

« Reply #293 on: April 08, 2005, 07:31:53 PM »
I haven't received it yet. Conway's idea of PMing me is probably better.

EDIT: I think I may have spotted the backroute. It wouldn't be one of those "fall into the exit from a great height" shortcuts would it?

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #294 on: April 08, 2005, 07:41:29 PM »
Yes. :D

Special_Gunpowder

« Reply #295 on: April 08, 2005, 07:48:14 PM »
You sneak! Still, there was a little bit of skill required to make that work, so good job. *goes off to add a strategically placed tree to his level*

EDIT: Actually, that incident has led me to find another backroute that exists in the level that leaves you with 16 miners and the floater. However, this one is also easily rectified.

drumnbach

« Reply #296 on: April 08, 2005, 11:15:29 PM »
Yep, 'The Needy Bunch' is a real stumper  :???:

Conway, congrats on finishing my level :) Could you PM me your solution, so I could fix the 'backdoor'. I'll probably keep it in if the backdoor is ingenious enough  :devil:

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #297 on: April 09, 2005, 11:37:21 AM »
OK, wtf is up with The Laserium?

I've _nearly_ solved it, but the last part is incredibly hard. I tried bashing left under the exit then building back up to it, but he seems to hit his head on some ground that shouldn't be there! Is there hidden ground behind the exit?

And I give you fair warning that I absolutely refuse to attempt a level that uses those evil icicle traps. It will take me a long time to recover from the shock.

EDIT: in fact you seem to be far too fond of hidden traps in general -- you don't exactly need them when the levels are so hard anyway! I'm afraid I'm not very impressed.

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #298 on: April 09, 2005, 11:55:57 AM »
Solved The Needy Bunch, btw.

Offline chaos_defrost

• the artist formerly known as Insane Steve
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: April 09, 2005, 02:52:34 PM »
@Ahribar, I'd stay far away from #5, then...

Anyways, your notebook. Some of the levels, and your descriptions of them, remind me a lot of my early notebook levels.

I've passed (so far) all but #9 and #10. As for #9, I'm completely stuck; I can't offhand see how to cut the 15 or so seconds you need off of your route. #10, admittedly, I haven't looked at as well as I could have.

Interesting levels, I must say. First few seem a bit easy, but it's the same with my notebooks. I think my route for the last 1 of each task level was quite a bit more complicated than you intended, but I couldn't figure out another way to pass it. Still, an enjoyable set. Nice work.

As for "Why Bother?" -- The Needy Bunch and Oh Well are two of those levels that look fairly simple but are giving me a LOT of problems. They are probably two of my favorite levels in the set.

The one gripe I have, and Ahribar hit on it already, is the number of hidden traps in the levels. Especially the icicle trap and the boulder trap: those freak me out when I can't see them coming. (That, and I rarely, if ever hide traps; I usually keep at least the activation button exposed when the trap is not.)
"こんなげーむにまじになっちゃってどうするの"

~"Beat" Takeshi Kitano