Author Topic: Cheapo Level Pak topic  (Read 170945 times)

Special_Gunpowder

Re: Cheapo Level Pak topic
« Reply #270 on: April 06, 2005, 04:58:48 PM »
So many questions, so little time...nah, just kidding, I've got all day.

Most of the levels didn't take too long to make as I had the ideas in my head before hand...although some took a lot of tweaking to make them work properly. "Savage Garden" in particular took ages to make work...and there's probably still a backroute in there somewhere!

Misspelling Pythagoras doesn't surprise me...I had the word "Aqueduct" spelled incorrectly for ages before I realised it was spelt with an 'e', not an 'a'.

"Pipe Down!" does look easy from the outset - the main challenge in the level is getting all the Lemmings into the exit within 3 minutes, which there's a little trick to. It probably is one of the easiest though - it's sometimes hard to tell what's harder than what when you make these levels because you know all the solutions to them, so you can't really distance yourself and see how difficult the solutions will be for others to find.

The music was a last minute thing on my part as I tend to play the game with the music off so I only thought about assigning different music at the end. I did wonder about that though: when I tried to do "The Monolith" the game crashed so I changed the music and it worked fine. I'll sort that out for you.

Finally, yes, I can guarantee that all the levels are possible - I made them in Cheapo and tested them all. Some of the later levels are a bit fiddly - "The Aqueduct" in particular will probably send the "P" key on your keyboard into early retirement - but still entirely possible.

« Reply #271 on: April 06, 2005, 05:58:12 PM »
Quote from: Ahribar  link=1089162351/255#269 date=1112793423
You misspelled " Pythagoras", which is a heinous sin.

Isn't it ironic that only months ago, we had this heated discussion about someone's complaint of Mike's mispellings?  ;)

(yeah I know the circumstances and the contention were quite different, still, interesting how different the reactions had been, and also how interesting that the last time people focused on the spelling aspect so much even though the real issue was something else...)

Offline chaos_defrost

• the artist formerly known as Insane Steve
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: April 06, 2005, 09:01:49 PM »
Ok, the new set is uploaded, same link as before.

These are possibly the most difficult set of 30 levels I've seen. The first level is eeriely similar to a level in the SECOND set of my stages... And About 2/3 of these levels of yours would probably go in the latter half of my 4th set. They are challenging and very well designed, although I've only passed about 5 of them thus far, most in the early few.

I was about to report the last few not working, myself, still -- excellent levels!

Actually, stage ... I think it was 22? is still not working. It's the one with the barrels stacked.

And I passed Stage #9 with one fewer basher and climber. Might be a back-route.
"こんなげーむにまじになっちゃってどうするの"

~"Beat" Takeshi Kitano

Special_Gunpowder

« Reply #273 on: April 06, 2005, 11:12:47 PM »
Nah, it's not a backroute. The extra builder and climber are there for...well, maybe I shouldn't give it away. Just to speed things up to reach the 3 minute time limit, although I guess they're not needed.

I'll sort out level 22 now. And also I've edited one level as Ben (who made the level Oh Well) spotted loads of backroutes in it. I'll send it tomorrow, once I sort my PC out (it's suddenly gone a bit slow).

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #274 on: April 07, 2005, 02:47:28 PM »
I solved Level 2! I'm so happy..........

Offline chaos_defrost

• View Profile
« Reply #275 on: April 07, 2005, 08:04:12 PM »
Level 2 is clever. Took me about 3 or 4 minutes to work out, and a few attempts to, well, you know... (Don't want to give away the answer...)

Right now, I have a little less than half the levels cleared, routes for another 5-7 of them that may be right but I haven't gotten to work yet, and the rest I'm completely stumped on. As of right now.

The link is updated, once again. 22 is working and a couple back-routes are fixed.
"こんなげーむにまじになっちゃってどうするの"

~"Beat" Takeshi Kitano

Special_Gunpowder

« Reply #276 on: April 07, 2005, 08:49:44 PM »
Which levels have you cleared, Steve, out of curiosity?

Offline chaos_defrost

• View Profile
« Reply #277 on: April 07, 2005, 08:57:49 PM »
Lesse here:

1, 2, 4, 6, 7, 9, 10, 12, 15, 17, 26.

11. I thought I had a couple more, but I guess more of them are in the "Cleared in mind" category instead of the "cleared in game" category.
"こんなげーむにまじになっちゃってどうするの"

~"Beat" Takeshi Kitano

Special_Gunpowder

« Reply #278 on: April 07, 2005, 09:14:38 PM »
With levels 12 and 15, did they seem a bit too straightforward when you played them through or did the problems of time make themselves known? Serious question.

drumnbach

« Reply #279 on: April 07, 2005, 09:18:41 PM »
Ben here (author of Oh Well), signing in  ;P

Offline chaos_defrost

• View Profile
« Reply #280 on: April 07, 2005, 09:20:13 PM »
I passed #12 with about 0:06 on the clock. However, I found it one of the easier levels in the set.

#15, I didn't offhand notice the clock, if I remember right. I'll re-play my solution to see what the timer says when I pass it.

EDIT: 0:04. I guess the timer was a bit tighter than I figured. Although, I DID save 100%, and didn't need the bomber.

Oh Well is one of those levels that I'm sitting there, going "How the--?" at. No idea whatsoever what to do with that one. Yet.
"こんなげーむにまじになっちゃってどうするの"

~"Beat" Takeshi Kitano

Special_Gunpowder

« Reply #281 on: April 07, 2005, 09:31:16 PM »
Could you e-mail me your solutions to 12 and 15? I'm interested to know how you did it without a bomber.

Offline chaos_defrost

• View Profile
« Reply #282 on: April 07, 2005, 09:54:55 PM »
Ok, my answers have been sent. If my answer to #15 is not the intended one, it seems like it'd be VERY easy to revise the level to fix it.
"こんなげーむにまじになっちゃってどうするの"

~"Beat" Takeshi Kitano

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #283 on: April 08, 2005, 10:20:55 AM »
Solved level 4, think it may be a backroute. I only needed three of the miners.

Steve, I know "Why Bother?" is stealing the limelight at the moment, and deservedly so, but I still hope you will be able to find time to comment on my notebook set.

Conway

« Reply #284 on: April 08, 2005, 12:44:48 PM »
Gunpowder, which levels have been updated for backroutes? So far I've passed 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 7, 8, 9 and 12. A few questions:

Doesn't Builder vs. Boulder require 3 blockers and 97%? That's the only way I can think of!

Are you sure The Needy Bunch is possible? Because there's a bug where lemmings can't climb near the bottom of the screen.

Cool levels, and very well designed! I'm off to try levels 13+ . . . I'll comment on all of them when I've cleared the pack.

btw, welcome to the site, Gunpowder and Ben! (my name's Ben as well!)

edit: I've just passed The Revolutions will not be Lemevised. Very clever design, and it took ages to figure out! Although I think it's a backroute. I had 1:07 left and saved 99.

edit edit: I've just spent the last 25 minutes trying in vain to figure out Why Bother?, and I'm still no closer to finding a solution. Can I assume that there isn't a hidden exit and the solution doesn't involve the small thing in the top right-hand corner? :???:

edit edit edit: Woohoo! Just passed Why Bother?! It took a few attempts, but it was well worth it. Very clever! Not sure it's the intended solution, but I can't imagine there being any other. I passed it with 2 diggers left and 1:05 remaining on the clock.