Author Topic: Cheapo Level Pak topic  (Read 170897 times)

Conway

Re: Cheapo Level Pak topic
« Reply #255 on: March 23, 2005, 06:20:06 PM »
I don't know what's wrong, but Cheapo can't play it! :-(

SyNTaX

« Reply #256 on: March 24, 2005, 08:38:57 AM »
Anybody else tried them?

Offline Isu

• View Profile
« Reply #257 on: March 24, 2005, 05:01:55 PM »
Yup, I have, and it works fine, I haven't tried some levels yet

Conway

« Reply #258 on: March 25, 2005, 01:03:15 PM »
Syntax, it seems it's a problem, either with the server or with Mozilla. When I downloaded it with Mozilla the file was corrupted, but I've downloaded them with IE and they work! :???: Anyway, now I can play them . . .

Can anyone else download them with Mozilla?

edit:

Okay, I've just finished the pack. You have some very enjoyable and well designed levels, Syntax! The last two took some thought. My favourite are Little Galactoids (but why all the arrows?) and The Roughinery (clever use of the fall-directly-into-the exit trick!)

edit: My full review is on Garjen.

Conway

« Reply #259 on: March 29, 2005, 04:15:54 PM »
Please try this: http://uk.geocities.com/benjconway79/spaces.zip (edited to give 35 builers, from 30) (re-edited back down to 30)

Well, I did have a post saying that I couldn't pass it, but now I just have. Oh well, I'll keep it up for anyone else to try.

Have fun!

Online Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #260 on: March 30, 2005, 01:30:01 PM »
Heh, nice level. A bit hard for me, but I get the general idea easily enough.

- - -

I have a new Cheapo set for download! It's the one I mentioned a while ago, based on the old notebook levels I recently found that I designed when I was around nine or ten. Most of the levels weren't worth saving at all, but I've picked out ten of the best for your amusement.

Download:
http://www.geocities.com/zarathustra47/Notebook.ZIP

EDIT: I've also done a sequel to "Somewhere Under the Rainbow", one of the levels from the notebook set. Download it here (but try the original level first):

http://www.geocities.com/zarathustra47/cheapo.ZIP

Conway

« Reply #261 on: March 31, 2005, 05:18:10 PM »
Cool levels! I've passed all but Behind Bars and Under the Rainbow part two. Any hints?

Online Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #262 on: March 31, 2005, 06:10:42 PM »
Aah...... oops. Behind Bars wasn't possible the way I intended; however, if you download it again (same link) it should be possible now. I've had to change the skills a little.....

Somewhere Under the Rainbow II should be easy to think of the solution...... after all, there aren't a lot of possible routes to try. (Working out how exactly to implement it is the hard bit, and I'll give you one hint. It involves changing the release rate to 99 at a specific time.)

Offline chaos_defrost

• the artist formerly known as Insane Steve
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: April 02, 2005, 08:12:40 PM »
I haven't worked on my notebook sets in ages -- I may just drop the number of levels per set to 20 each and move a few around.

Anyways, I just DLed your set, Ahribar, and I'll comment on it shortly.
"こんなげーむにまじになっちゃってどうするの"

~"Beat" Takeshi Kitano

Special_Gunpowder

« Reply #264 on: April 05, 2005, 09:45:14 PM »
I've made a 30-strong set called "Why Bother?", but would anybody be willing to host it, given that I don't actually have a website to do so with?

Offline chaos_defrost

• View Profile
« Reply #265 on: April 05, 2005, 11:08:19 PM »
I'll do it. I have an FTP account on the domain "noblesse-oblige.org". Ship the file to the e-mail

"stem_balo[at]sbcglobal[dot]net" And I'll host it for you.
"こんなげーむにまじになっちゃってどうするの"

~"Beat" Takeshi Kitano

Special_Gunpowder

« Reply #266 on: April 05, 2005, 11:24:20 PM »
Ta muchly. I've just sent it.

Offline chaos_defrost

• View Profile
« Reply #267 on: April 05, 2005, 11:37:55 PM »
Ok, your set can be downloaded here:

http://www.noblesse-oblige.org/insanesteve/Why_Bother.set

Thanks! I'll play it soon as I have the time to.
"こんなげーむにまじになっちゃってどうするの"

~"Beat" Takeshi Kitano

Special_Gunpowder

« Reply #268 on: April 05, 2005, 11:51:41 PM »
Cheers! Just a few notes for anyone downloading it: it's of Sunsoft difficulty for the most part I think, although the early levels are quite a bit easier than the later ones. If anyone finds what they believe to be shortcuts in any of the levels, do let me know.

Online Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #269 on: April 06, 2005, 01:17:03 PM »
aaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggghhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

<whatever other emoticons, words, anything else might possibly express my complete awe>

OK, I've never played the real Sunsoft levels, so I don't know whether these really are better than them...... but they're definitely the best Cheapo levels I've seen. The visual appearance is awesome -- how long did they take you to make? -- and although I can't really tell until I complete them, they all seem extremely well designed. Would you care to give me a tutorial some time?

I completed Level 1 without too much trouble -- nice gentle start there.

You misspelled " Pythagoras", which is a heinous sin.

Unless there's a trick to it that I've missed, Level 12, Pipe Down!, seems a bit too easy for its place? I mean, it's practically the only one that I think I can see how to solve.

The late levels (22 onwards) don't work because you've used the level number as the music number in all cases, and the standard styles don't actually contain that many musics. You'll have to either re-use musics or use different styles (I highly recommend the Lemmus styles if you want them).

And finally...... someone had to say it...... can you guarantee that those are all possible in their Cheapo incarnations? (The music bug does make me suspect you converted them from something else and haven't playtested the Cheapo versions -- forgive me if I'm jumping to conclusions.)