Author Topic: Cheapo Level Pak topic  (Read 171022 times)

Offline chaos_defrost

• the artist formerly known as Insane Steve
    • View Profile
Re: Cheapo Level Pak topic
« Reply #225 on: February 07, 2005, 04:40:53 AM »
Your current solution actually uses a lot of the elements from my intended solution, in slightly different manners.

So... would a small steel block on the top left of the structure solve anything? I'm more worried that that would create even more backroutes. Thin layer of left-facing arrows on the top?
"こんなげーむにまじになっちゃってどうするの"

~"Beat" Takeshi Kitano

« Reply #226 on: February 07, 2005, 04:54:46 AM »
That's a possibility although I have to try it out to see.  I guess it basically boils down to whether the proposed change would prevent the first collision timing from happening.

From looking at one of my screenshots for the earlier collision-timing solution (ie. not the one I e-mailed you), seems like it's possible to have 2 columns of pixels left on the right end of the top leg of mining, so you'd probably need your steel/one-way wall to be 2 pixels wide at least.

As for introducing new backroutes, if you keep the addition small in area it should probably be safe, but you never know.

Offline chaos_defrost

• View Profile
« Reply #227 on: February 07, 2005, 05:01:56 AM »
I was thinking more a 4-pixel thick layer of left arrows across the entire top of the structure. Forcing the player to mine to the left if he wants to start from the top.
"こんなげーむにまじになっちゃってどうするの"

~"Beat" Takeshi Kitano

« Reply #228 on: February 07, 2005, 05:09:52 AM »
That works even better, and I certainly don't have any ideas now how I could use the addition to my advantage for backroute purposes.

« Reply #229 on: February 07, 2005, 05:19:55 AM »
Quote from: Insane Steve  link=1089162351/225#227 date=1107752516
I was thinking more a 4-pixel thick layer of left arrows across the entire top of the structure. Forcing the player to mine to the left if he wants to start from the top.

Actually, that might not be quite enough in itself.  Remember the earlier collision-timing solution, the one that only has about 2 seconds left and you asked me whether I can get it to finish with 8-10 seconds left?

In that one, although I didn't do it that way, it seems possible to vary it slightly simply by having the miner at the top left dig down a little first and then mine.  If that's the case, then I could probably circumvene it and still mine to the right to some degree.  The only question is whether the "opening" is big enough to allow me to build up to the exit's floor.  Anyway, I probably will need to try it out and see (have you made changes to the level yet?)  I suppose you can always eliminate the 2-second solution this is based on, by tightening the time limit.

Offline DragonsLover

• Do you want fire?
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: February 07, 2005, 01:04:01 PM »
Yippie! I completed all levels of the first Cheapo Copycat! B)
I like dragons! They're the center of my life! I'll never forget them...

Conway

« Reply #231 on: February 08, 2005, 01:02:14 PM »
Cool, well done! Which level is your favourite? Mine is Mayhem 20 - 'Prison Escape Plan'.

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #232 on: February 08, 2005, 06:25:25 PM »
I think I've got to the point where the levels are too hard for me........ hints for Taxing 23 please?

And more importantly, hints for how I can get better at solving levels, because I'm obviously absolutely crap compared to you lot?

« Reply #233 on: February 08, 2005, 10:01:28 PM »
Taxing 23 is probably one of Essman's harder levels, especially now that he's fixed the backroutes.

But it should be well within your grasp...after all, you made a level yourself that uses a similar trick.

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #234 on: February 09, 2005, 10:38:13 AM »
Oh dear....... you were right............

Still, I don't think I'd have got it at all without that hint. Thanks!

Offline chaos_defrost

• View Profile
« Reply #235 on: February 09, 2005, 08:56:45 PM »
Wait, where do you get the updated versions of these packs? Taxing 23 was VERY easy to me... and I'm quite certain it is a back-route.
"こんなげーむにまじになっちゃってどうするの"

~"Beat" Takeshi Kitano

« Reply #236 on: February 10, 2005, 12:22:46 AM »
Just download it from the same place you got the set from before, namely here.

The updates occurred some weeks ago when Conway starts critiqueing the levels.  There were at least 2 or 3 levels I remember being corrected.  And you definitely want Taxing 23 corrected.

Conway

« Reply #237 on: February 11, 2005, 01:19:31 AM »
Guess what everybody?! I've now got 21 Cheapo levels for my LemEdit Remake set. I'm planning to release it when I have 30. I've done most of the good ones that can be done in Cheapo from my LemEdit packs. Any suggestions for ones I might have missed?

« Reply #238 on: February 11, 2005, 11:30:49 AM »
Quote from: Insane Steve  link=1089162351/225#225 date=1107751253
So... would a small steel block on the top left of the structure solve anything? I'm more worried that that would create even more backroutes. Thin layer of left-facing arrows on the top?

Ok, check your e-mail for the latest backroute.  It has nothing to do w/ your proposed change above.  It has no collision timing involved, and in fact it resembles far more one of my earlier backroutes than those recent collision-timing solutions.

I don't know why I've overlooked it for so long, probably because it didn't seem like it would actually work out but hey it does.

This one actually saves exactly 28/40 and has more than half a minute left.

Don't think though that just because it's 28/40 you can eliminate it by increasing the requirements.  It's difficult to say for sure, but I do have a few spare bashers left, and so it's conceivable that they can be used to help squeeze in 1 or 2 more lemmings.  Of course it'd make things trickier I suppose.

« Reply #239 on: February 11, 2005, 12:54:54 PM »
Just occurred to me that a simple way to eliminate my latest backroute is to flip the left entrance, assuming that it doesn't affect your intended solution.