Author Topic: Cheapo Level Pak topic  (Read 171079 times)

Re: Cheapo Level Pak topic
« Reply #150 on: January 24, 2005, 05:26:26 AM »
Quote from: Insane Steve  link=1089162351/135#149 date=1106532363
All I did was flip that left exit.

The URL is the same as last time. The backroute (and its varients) is removed

Actually, I think you better use the steel-block fix instead, because I managed to backroute your level with another fast-forward solution.  Maybe it's even the one you said might be fixable via 2:08.

I also think I finally had an idea what the intended solution is...stay tuned.

« Reply #151 on: January 24, 2005, 05:35:35 AM »
Yes!  I've got it, the intended solution, exactly as steve described (2-3 seconds left, no digging by the left lemmings).

It turned out to be merely a combination of two solutions I tried that didn't work.  I apparently already have the key move since yesterday.

That is some interesting dream you had Steve, to have observed something so, in a way, subtle.

« Reply #152 on: January 25, 2005, 03:59:01 AM »
I took a second look at my level "If Only They Could Swim...", and it suddenly occurred to me there is something in that level that might be slightly misleading.

Just in case it is actually misleading to many, and just so people wouldn't then cry foul over it, I decided to post a clarification on the site where you can download the level.  However, I much prefer you don't read the clarification.

« Reply #153 on: January 25, 2005, 11:16:37 AM »
Alright, after considerable testing and self-debate, I finally decided to make a tiny change to my level "If Only They Could Swim...".  The change is practically unnoticeable, does not change the intended solution, and probably wouldn't affect anything anyone has tried so far.  Still, please redownload the level from the site.

Conway

« Reply #154 on: January 25, 2005, 05:06:38 PM »
In 'If Only they could Fly', surely only the third exit can be used!? In that case, I can only save 79. Your 'clarification' was that (spoiler warning!) 'The water at the small pond near the right exit is shallow.' That doesn't really help much. I knew that, and I gather I have to dig and bash under the small pond. Then I can get up to the exit with just one builder. And the rest of the builders are to get across the big pool, one builder on each side. I guess I've got something wrong. I have a feeling the contraption to the right of the accessible exit has something to do with it, but if I bash into it they land beside the exit and die from the fall. Any hints?

Offline Shvegait

• View Profile
« Reply #155 on: January 25, 2005, 05:20:14 PM »
Out of curiosity, which lemming dies, and how?

Online Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #156 on: January 25, 2005, 07:34:05 PM »
One of the two builders going across the large pool.

I had the same problem. Two builders are needed to cross the large pool, since if you build from just one side they splat at the other. But if you do it the most straightforward way -- the only way I've yet been able to work out -- the right-hand builder starts before the left, and that means you have to let him drown after his fourth bridge while the left one builds his fifth.

(I should add that I got this far without reading the clarification, but, having read it, it's obvious that going under that exit is indeed intended. Guest confirmed in an e-mail that the submerged exits are meant to be unreachable.)

Conway

« Reply #157 on: January 25, 2005, 08:43:34 PM »
Yes, that's where I'm stuck as well. Are you still stuck, Ahribar, or did you solve it?

Online Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #158 on: January 25, 2005, 09:51:42 PM »
Still stuck, though, since I'm at work now, I haven't had much chance to solve it.

By the way, did you get anywhere with Twenty-Second Teaser?

Offline Shvegait

• View Profile
« Reply #159 on: January 25, 2005, 10:12:25 PM »
I know this was directed at Conway, but I just beat Twenty Second Teaser last night. I had been trying it here and there since Adam sent me Cheapo + whatever levels he had lying around a couple months ago. But you know, I don't even know if my solution is reproduceable. I just tried putting a bunch of random stuff together and eventually it worked. Nice level for something so short!

For guest's "If Only They Could Swim...", I don't know if I'm authorized to give hints, but think of what would theoretically need to happen in order to save them all, look at what you have available, and make it happen.

« Reply #160 on: January 25, 2005, 10:48:02 PM »
Quote from: Conway  link=1089162351/150#154 date=1106672798
Your 'clarification' was that (spoiler warning!) 'The water at the small pond near the right exit is shallow.' That doesn't really help much.

Well it wasn't meant to be a hint.  I was just worried, due to comments from one of the player's attempt, that it was "counterintuitive" you can take a path under the small pond.  The thing is I can't actually restrict the body of water to be just where it is visible, the actual water object extends a little below and to the right.

It's conceivable, especially given that the water object in the default styles by Essman is much larger, that someone might incorrectly think the water in the small pond extends all the way to the bottom of the level, just like every other body of water in that level are.

It's certainly something anyone can easily check, but just in case this leads someone to say the level is "cheap" I decided to clarify that part to cover my a__, so to speak.  In retrospect I probably overreacted.  :-[  I might remove the clarification from the site tonight.

Online Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #161 on: January 25, 2005, 10:58:20 PM »
Quote from: Shvegait  link=1089162351/150#159 date=1106691145
I know this was directed at Conway, but I just beat Twenty Second Teaser last night. I had been trying it here and there since Adam sent me Cheapo + whatever levels he had lying around a couple months ago. But you know, I don't even know if my solution is reproduceable. I just tried putting a bunch of random stuff together and eventually it worked. Nice level for something so short!

I'm so sorry........ in that case it sounds like you have an out-of-date copy of the level.

The Teaser now has no floater and no digger, and I've written a sequel, Surely You're Joking Mr Lemming, with all the skills but in which 100% is required.

Good luck.........

Offline Shvegait

• View Profile
« Reply #162 on: January 26, 2005, 12:14:17 AM »
Where can I get your levels, Ahribar?

No floater!  X_X
Haha, seriously though, I did use the digger, but I think I might be able to do it without it... hmm...

Conway

« Reply #163 on: January 26, 2005, 12:54:27 AM »
I tried the two twenty-second levels, each about ten times, with no success. I haven't tried since. I might do later when I've passed all the other ones I'm stuck on!

Offline chaos_defrost

• the artist formerly known as Insane Steve
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: January 26, 2005, 01:46:09 AM »
Ok, a few people have passed the level I put up, and I made all required revisions. Thank you all for testing it.

I came up with a crazy back-route to the original Twenty-Second Teaser level, but it used the digger. I do know the real solution... for a couple reasons, actually. I've yet to figure out the harder version.
"こんなげーむにまじになっちゃってどうするの"

~"Beat" Takeshi Kitano