Author Topic: Cheapo Level Pak topic  (Read 170788 times)

Offline Shvegait

• View Profile
Re: Cheapo Level Pak topic
« Reply #135 on: January 23, 2005, 02:10:16 AM »
Guest managed to find yet another backroute so I updated Dual Action Lemmings yet again (wider gap in the center).

And another (taller columns in the center area now).

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #136 on: January 23, 2005, 10:25:01 AM »
I've solved Attack of the Subconscious.

I'm sure it is the intended solution, and that there is one backroute, but only one. The backroute involves the fast-forward trick to get the lemmings in in time; that should be the only hint Steve needs to find and remove it.

Offline Shvegait

• View Profile
« Reply #137 on: January 23, 2005, 04:31:52 PM »
Yeah, I found that backroute also and sent a message to Insane_Steve. I was wondering about the time limit, though, 2:09 is a strange number for the backroute to barely work with the FF trick, but I haven't found the intended solution yet so I don't know how much time that needs...

Edit: And yep, that's right, guest found yet another backroute to my level. Same URL for the update.

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #138 on: January 23, 2005, 05:10:10 PM »
Slight hint: the intended route is very similar to the backroute. VERY similar.

Offline Shvegait

• View Profile
« Reply #139 on: January 23, 2005, 05:20:31 PM »
Hmm, I've managed to save 69/70 without using fast forward... I'll have to think about it some more.

Ok, got it. :)

Offline chaos_defrost

• the artist formerly known as Insane Steve
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: January 23, 2005, 05:59:54 PM »
The solution shouldn't require Fast Forward. You should have about 2 or 3 seconds left when you are done.

Although, I did find out about a neat back-route -- should be fixable by chopping the time limit to 2:08. The intended solution does not involve digging on the far right with the first lemming on the left. Both solutions I received mentioned this idea.

If you've found any different-looking solutions, send them over. Thanks.

As for odd time limits, almost all of my levels use uneven time limits. Just a habit I have.
"こんなげーむにまじになっちゃってどうするの"

~"Beat" Takeshi Kitano

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #141 on: January 23, 2005, 06:39:34 PM »
Oh, how weird. That wasn't the intended solution after all, then..... but I really cannot see how another solution is possible. Hmm...........

I'm also completely stuck on the revised Dual Action Lemmings and guest's If Only They Could Swim. Any kind persons out there want to give even a small hint for either?

Offline Shvegait

• View Profile
« Reply #142 on: January 23, 2005, 07:22:35 PM »
Insane_Steve, the backroute involving digging with the first lemming from the left lets you save all of the lemmings with 4 seconds to spare with a careful change in the release rate, so lowering the time limit will not be enough by itself.

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #143 on: January 23, 2005, 08:34:44 PM »
Especially as, for a backroute elimination to be completely satisfactory, it ought to fail even when the fast-forward trick is used. I always try to make sure there are no fast-forward backroutes on my level, though I am aware of one (on Surely You're Joking) that I don't think it will be possible to get rid of.

Offline chaos_defrost

• View Profile
« Reply #144 on: January 24, 2005, 12:53:52 AM »
Quote from: Ahribar  link=1089162351/135#141 date=1106505574
Oh, how weird. That wasn't the intended solution after all, then..... but I really cannot see how another solution is possible. Hmm...........

The intended solution is quite clever (but difficult to find, I think), although easy to pull off once you know how. Still, I don't think it'll be that hard to remove the digger trick from the level. I'm thinking either a steel floor or (Even more fun) flipping the left entrance so the lemmings go out to the left. I'll come up with something and probably re-post the level.

Still, thanks for pointing out that digger back-route to me. That's why I posted it early.
"こんなげーむにまじになっちゃってどうするの"

~"Beat" Takeshi Kitano

« Reply #145 on: January 24, 2005, 01:07:48 AM »
Quote from: Ahribar  link=1089162351/135#141 date=1106505574
I'm also completely stuck on the revised Dual Action Lemmings and guest's If Only They Could Swim. Any kind persons out there want to give even a small hint for either?

I can e-mail you hints to my level if you tell me (here or in e-mail) which part you're stuck on (or if you couldn't start at all).

I'm still working out Dual Action Lemmings myself.  I have managed to produce tons of backroutes, even some that I thought must be the intended solution, but so far no luck.

I'm glad that Attack of the Subconscious has been changed.  I found the fast-forward backroute fairly easily, but I couldn't even get some of the other routes you guys have mentioned to work.  At least now I know I shouldn't bother trying since they aren't intended.

« Reply #146 on: January 24, 2005, 01:09:38 AM »
Quote from: Insane_Steve  link=1089162351/135#144 date=1106528032
I'm thinking either a steel floor or (Even more fun) flipping the left entrance so the lemmings go out to the left.

Oh, I didn't even know you could do that to get the lemmings to go out facing left.

Do they fall up if you flip the entrance upside-down?  O_O

Conway

« Reply #147 on: January 24, 2005, 01:31:21 AM »
Yep! :D

Offline Shvegait

• View Profile
« Reply #148 on: January 24, 2005, 02:04:21 AM »
Updated my level once again for another backroute that guest found. This is the last time! Perhaps this is wishful thinking, but it's getting really hard to picture backroutes at this point.

Offline chaos_defrost

• View Profile
« Reply #149 on: January 24, 2005, 02:06:03 AM »
All I did was flip that left exit.

The URL is the same as last time. The backroute (and its varients) is removed, but the correct solution works exactly as usual.
"こんなげーむにまじになっちゃってどうするの"

~"Beat" Takeshi Kitano