Author Topic: Cheapo Level Pak topic  (Read 170994 times)

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
Re: Cheapo Level Pak topic
« Reply #105 on: January 13, 2005, 12:15:31 PM »
Oh, nicely done!

About the PNG thing, yeah, I know. I would if I could.

Meanwhile -- Taxing 17 seemed to be a bit too similar to Dolly Dimple, even having pretty much exactly the same solution.......

I loved Taxing 19, though it did seem a little tough for its position, just because the solution (if I got the right solution, that is) uses a couple of clever tricks that might be difficult to think of.

Here's my solution -- part 1 and part 2.......

« Reply #106 on: January 14, 2005, 04:46:32 AM »
Quote from: Ahribar  link=1089162351/105#105 date=1105618531
About the PNG thing, yeah, I know. I would if I could.

If you have Windows XP, you do realize that its MS Paint supports PNG files right?

And really, you are a Mac user, and I thought Macs were supposed to be the favorite for artists and desktop publishing types.  You can't be telling me that the humble MS Paint has surpassed the Mac on what's supposed to be a cross-platform graphics file format!?!?  O_O :P :D

« Reply #107 on: January 14, 2005, 04:50:52 AM »
Never mind, that was a stupid comment.  Of course, what you meant to say is that you don't have a website to host those PNG files to (same problem here in fact).  Sorry and please ignore (or better, admins please delete) the previous post.

Offline Shvegait

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: January 14, 2005, 05:08:07 AM »
If only you would register :P

« Reply #109 on: January 14, 2005, 08:14:12 AM »
Quote from: guest  link=1089162351/105#107 date=1105678252
Never mind, that was a stupid comment. &#A0;Of course, what you meant to say is that you don't have a website to host those PNG files to (same problem here in fact). &#A0;Sorry and please ignore (or better, admins please delete) the previous post.

Ok, I think I need a lesson in reading things twice.

Clearly if Ahribar can post actual screenshots in BMP, his problem is really about file format and not the inability to post pictures.  So my earlier post actually makes sense and it is my later post (above) that doesn't.

Yeah, I suppose the ability to edit posts is something I should look into, if my reading skills doesn't improve.  =8O ;P

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: January 14, 2005, 12:31:48 PM »
Thank you.......

I've afraid I don't have Windows XP. (And though I prefer to be a Mac user, my Mac isn't connected to the Internet, so I have to use the PC for all websitey stuff -- and for Cheapo of course.)

Conway

« Reply #111 on: January 15, 2005, 12:32:16 AM »
Isn't there a MAC based editor that supports PNG files?

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: January 15, 2005, 10:59:34 AM »
I'm sure there is, but as I said my Mac isn't connected to the Internet so it would be useless for this anyway.

Offline chaos_defrost

• the artist formerly known as Insane Steve
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: January 19, 2005, 03:54:24 AM »
Ya, I had this freaky dream yesterday. Has to do partly with Essman's level packs.

To be honest, most of it is quite inappropriate in nature to be posting here, but I distinctly remember one part where I'm sitting in fornt of my computer, in a chat room with people who play Lemmings inexplicably... We swap levels a lot (And I got this creepy new level idea from this dream. Heh.), but one of the people seemed to only make levels based off of Essman's "tremolo blooz" and "armatage shanks" levels. (Granted, the latter hasn't that many ideas to re-make it, but meh... it's my dreams. They don't make sense.) After receiving yet another set of levels with remakes of these two levels, I recorded a sound byte of myself shouting "NO MORE TREMOLO BLOOZ! NO MORE [----]ING ARMATAGE SHANKS!" into my headphones plugged into a microphone slot and uploading it to some website involving Bob Marley's head (Bear with me, here) and posted it.

Turns out that, later, someone went and made a techno song using that sound clip, which became the next "all your base" craze. And that's about all I remember. Weird.

So, ya, just thought I'd share that with you all. I'm about 90% of the way past those levels, but I can't offhand remember what levels I've not solved yet.
"こんなげーむにまじになっちゃってどうするの"

~"Beat" Takeshi Kitano

Conway

« Reply #114 on: January 19, 2005, 11:55:29 AM »
Weird! O_o So far, I've made two levels based on dreams, dreams where I was either designing or playing them; 'Centre of Attention' and 'A Strange Relationship', the latter is one I had recently this week and I'm currently working on perfecting the level. Oh, and I also once dreamed about a working 3D model Lemmings game, with actual robotic lemmings that walk abound and follow your commands. The level I was trying to complete was a 3D version of 'Final Impediment', from the Sega Megadrive.

« Reply #115 on: January 19, 2005, 05:03:12 PM »
Quote from: Streetlight Admnistrator 370  link=1089162351/30#34 date=1092112862
And it's not an oblivion level because it doesn't use the Oblivion trick.

The irony of this statement is, not a single one of your oblivion levels (yes, I've played all of them) actually requires the oblivion trick to solve.  [Most only requires 2-3 stoppers, some can be done with 0.]

« Reply #116 on: January 20, 2005, 01:07:24 PM »
Being the dinosaur that I am when it comes to WWW stuff, I finally discovered that Yahoo has this "Yahoo Geocities" thing.  So I finally found a solution to distributing my levels.

The two I've mentioned ["This Level Requires No Skill" and "After the Rainstorm"] can now be downloaded through this following excruciatingly awful webpage:  http://www.geocities.com/guestlevels/lemmings/

More levels to come in the near future.

(note: you need the ability to open zip files to get the levels)

Offline chaos_defrost

• the artist formerly known as Insane Steve
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: January 21, 2005, 03:37:55 AM »
Cool levels! I'm surprised how long it took for me to pass "This Level Requires No Skill". Might be possible, with a LOT of precision, to get 4/15... I was about a pixel off of 4. That's a brilliant level design for a level with no tasks...

Anyways, I managed to finally figure out a way to incorporate that trick from the dream in a fun yet ultimately fourth set worthy level. Nice. I'm quite amused by it.
"こんなげーむにまじになっちゃってどうするの"

~"Beat" Takeshi Kitano

Conway

« Reply #118 on: January 21, 2005, 03:58:18 PM »
I still haven't managed Guest's 'No Skill' level! I assume that I need to use the giant nuke, but at what point, and something tricky also needs to be done with the release rate. Hmmm . . . :???:

« Reply #119 on: January 22, 2005, 05:29:21 PM »
Good job Insane_Steve on my no-skill level!  B)

I've uploaded a third Cheapo level, "If Only They Could Swim...", to the site.  It's actually the very first level I ever made, way back a few years ago when LemEdit still runs on my laptop.  It's not a particularly hard level but it actually looks nice and visually interesting for a change.  I even posted the map preview.  Enjoy!

Again, the site is: http://www.geocities.com/guestlevels/lemmings/

Oh, I also made a MIDI of the rating Fun "special level" (Fun 22), based on the PC version's rendition of it.  It's still a work in progress but the notes are basically all there.  You can get the MIDI from my site too.