Author Topic: Cheapo Level Pak topic  (Read 171030 times)

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
Re: Cheapo Level Pak topic
« Reply #75 on: January 11, 2005, 05:16:14 PM »
OK, I've done some of Taxing now........

I love levels 6, 9 and 10 in particular. I wonder if your solution to Taxing 10 was the same as mine?

Here's mine: http://www.geocities.com/zarathustra47/taxing10a.bmp. (The dip on the right is done by digging two pixels then mining -- that's to get deep enough before the other lemming arrives.)

Offline Essman

• View Profile
    • Ferret Face Games
« Reply #76 on: January 11, 2005, 05:16:38 PM »
Quote from: Conway  link=1089162351/60#74 date=1105463001
Essman, I didn't know about the fake steel pieces in 'Surrounded by fakeness'. Here's what I did: 1 and 2

That's really cool. The name of the level was supposed to give away the fact that there is fake metal.

Offline Essman

• View Profile
    • Ferret Face Games
« Reply #77 on: January 11, 2005, 05:28:17 PM »
Quote from: guest  link=1089162351/60#71 date=1105429021
Oh, how sad. &#A0;The easy solution is to just bomb away the thin column. &#A0;Looks like you should revise that level.

That is correct, I revised the level.
The zip file with the sets has been updated so its the same URL as last time.

Offline Essman

• View Profile
    • Ferret Face Games
« Reply #78 on: January 11, 2005, 05:33:34 PM »
Quote from: Ahribar  link=1089162351/75#75 date=1105463774
I wonder if your solution to Taxing 10 was the same as mine?

Here's mine: http://www.geocities.com/zarathustra47/taxing10a.bmp. (The dip on the right is done by digging two pixels then mining -- that's to get deep enough before the other lemming arrives.)

I was able to only use a miner with the first lemming, rather than the digger-miner combo. Just a miner is fast enough if you're the right distance from the metal block. Other than that, the solution looks the same.

Conway

« Reply #79 on: January 11, 2005, 06:06:40 PM »
Also, I'd really love a hint for Mayhem 18 'Good Luck'!

edit: Essman, since in Cheapo you can paste graphics from the clipboard, why not paste in terrain that looks like the exit in 'Surrounded by fakeness' where you had the fake exits?

« Reply #80 on: January 11, 2005, 08:54:18 PM »
That's odd, I could've swear the left exit is still usable in my copy of the levels, I'll recheck tonight.

As you know Essman haven't gotten fake exits to work, so if the left exit in Mayhem 4 actually works as a fake exit, then we should look into it and see.

« Reply #81 on: January 11, 2005, 08:55:02 PM »
Quote from: guest  link=1089162351/75#80 date=1105476858
That's odd, I could've swear the left exit is still usable in my copy of the levels, I'll recheck tonight.

As you know Essman haven't gotten fake exits to work, so if the left exit in Mayhem 4 actually works as a fake exit, then we should look into it and see.

(I'm talking about Mayhem 4 by the way.)

« Reply #82 on: January 11, 2005, 08:59:10 PM »
Quote from: Conway  link=1089162351/75#79 date=1105466800
Also, I'd really love a hint for Mayhem 18 'Good Luck'!

Which part are you stuck at?

« Reply #83 on: January 11, 2005, 09:01:18 PM »
Quote from: Essman  link=1089162351/75#76 date=1105463798
That's really cool. The name of the level was supposed to give away the fact that there is fake metal.

Yes of course, but even so, after a few minutes I had enough with searching for the fake steel and ended up doing something similar to Conway's solution, except I drop from the right end (after digging down some fake steel of course).  ;P

Conway

« Reply #84 on: January 11, 2005, 09:48:37 PM »
Quote from: guest  link=1089162351/75#81 date=1105476902
(I'm talking about Mayhem 4 by the way.)

You're right! I could have sworn the left-hand exit didn't work! But I've just tried it now and it does. So the intended solution is for the left lemmings to go into the left exit?

As for 'Good Luck', I'm still really stuck, and it's only a fairly short level! Getting past the metal blocks involves one digger, one miner and one basher, starting from right behind the protruding block. This leaves one basher and one builder to contain the others and to later release them, or to hold them back while the first lemming builds over the fire and digs a short way down. This is my best theory, but one still dies because he turns back and burns as the digger's hole isn't deep enough.

« Reply #85 on: January 11, 2005, 10:03:50 PM »
Quote from: Conway  link=1089162351/75#84 date=1105480117
You're right! I could have sworn the left-hand exit didn't work! But I've just tried it now and it does. So the intended solution is for the left lemmings to go into the left exit?

I think Essman had no idea what the intended solution is.

In the old version, I pointed out to Essman that there is a trick (which also works in PC Lemmings) that allows you to blow away enough of the bottom steel block so you can mine down to the exit.  And I pointed out that the solution of building up through the pit would be extremely difficult to do in the old version, especially since you need to start a number of your builds as close to the wall as possible to get high enough, plus there are other lemmings milling about making it even harder to get the right lemming to build.  And in the old version you can't single out lemmings or arrow-click them.

I didn't think Essman would actually honor the trick solution in the old version and do so by removing the steel in the new version, but well he did.

Given the enhanced capabilities in the new Cheapo, I guess building out of the pit isn't as bad anymore, and so maybe it's better to go back to the previous version.  I'll have to think about this more.  Actually, it would be cool if there really is a way for the left lemmings to get to the right exit but I believe I've convinced myself that this can't be done.

Quote from: Conway  link=1089162351/75#84 date=1105480117
As for 'Good Luck', I'm still really stuck, and it's only a fairly short level!<snip>

Ok, you're on the right track.

(SPOILERS/HINT)
Dig more to the left.

Conway

« Reply #86 on: January 11, 2005, 10:49:50 PM »
Quote from: guest  link=1089162351/75#85 date=1105481030
Ok, you're on the right track.

(SPOILERS/HINT)
Dig more to the left.

Thanks! I've just passed it!

Offline Shvegait

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 12, 2005, 04:35:14 AM »
First off, nice levels Essman! (Edit: Just finished the last one :) ).

Hmm, I didn't find it very hard to contain the other lemmings in Mayhem 18... (Lemmings don't die at the very edge of the fire trap).

So far the levels I found most interesting are Taxing 21 "Magic lemmings", Mayhem 2 "Is this legal?", Mayhem 19 "Get down tonight!" and Mayhem 24 "Back and forth".

Is the bottom route in Mayhem 10 "More pea soup, please" supposed to be viable?

Mayhem 30 was definitely not hard enough for its position! But I see you were going for a link between the first and last levels of the set.

Offline Essman

• View Profile
    • Ferret Face Games
« Reply #88 on: January 12, 2005, 07:01:48 AM »
Quote from: Shvegait  link=1089162351/75#87 date=1105504514
First off, nice levels Essman! (Edit: Just finished the last one :) ).

That's great that you finished them, and better than I could do. I made many of those levels in 1997 and I play some of them today as if it was the first time I've ever seen them.

Hmm, I didn't find it very hard to contain the other lemmings in Mayhem 18... (Lemmings don't die at the very edge of the fire trap).

It's supposed to be a little forgiving.

So far the levels I found most interesting are Taxing 21 "Magic lemmings", Mayhem 2 "Is this legal?", Mayhem 19 "Get down tonight!" and Mayhem 24 "Back and forth".

Mayhem 2 is one of my favorites, I always wondered if anybody solved it the same was I do.

Is the bottom route in Mayhem 10 "More pea soup, please" supposed to be viable?

The answer to that question, and my intended solution, lies in this screenshot.

Mayhem 30 was definitely not hard enough for its position! But I see you were going for a link between the first and last levels of the set.

Yes, the last level is meant to refer to the first level. And it was supposed to be a fun level as a bonus for finishing all the previous levels. The very last level shouldn't be punishment, but a reward.

Offline Essman

• View Profile
    • Ferret Face Games
« Reply #89 on: January 12, 2005, 07:19:07 AM »
By the way, when I was taking screenshots for one of my many posts, I found a way to take many screenshots at the same time. I was using the PrintScreen key to copy a bitmap to the clipboard. A problem with that is that I can only copy one screen at a time. Since the clone game only runs in full screen, I'd have to quit the program in order to use that screenshot. So I couldn't take two screenshots of the same level.

But I remembered that I have Microsoft Office, which comes with a clipboard manager that collects up to 24 clipboard items automatically. I ran Word, hit Ctrl-C twice to start the clipboard manager, then was able to take up to 24 sceenshots using PrintScreen.

Perhaps there are other, free, clipboard managers that can be downloaded. But I happened to remember that Office has one.