Author Topic: Cheapo Level Pak topic  (Read 170790 times)

Ice_Eagle

Re: Cheapo Level Pak topic
« Reply #720 on: May 11, 2006, 09:52:50 PM »
Isu: I played your Lemmings Classic. Not bad; some levels are great. But what happened to the levels "BASH IT!!", "Building Fun," "The race of one against ninety-nine," and "Cry for me 3"? Shouldn't those levels be in your Lemmings Classic 38% version?

As for Style Trial: Cool! I liked the Sports style, but what's with the exit? It doesn't seem to work. I see that you've done the styles in alphabetical order. No wonder you wouldn't use Ahribar's styles or make a Style Trial Part IV!

Check your PM.

Offline Isu

• View Profile
I'll answer that, now that you've mentioned it. ;)
« Reply #721 on: May 11, 2006, 11:12:43 PM »
Quote from: Ice_Eagle link=1089162351/720#720 date=1147384370
Isu: I played your Lemmings Classic. Not bad; some levels are great. But what happened to the levels "BASH IT!!", "Building Fun," "The race of one against ninety-nine," and "Cry for me 3"? Shouldn't those levels be in your Lemmings Classic 38% version?

As for Style Trial: Cool! I liked the Sports style, but what's with the exit? It doesn't seem to work. I see that you've done the styles in alphabetical order. No wonder you wouldn't use Ahribar's styles or make a Style Trial Part IV!

Check your PM.

I did mean to mention this before, but I was in a rush and as one thing led to another, I forgot to include the shambles-of-a-readme file which explained all this. :-[

As you've probably noticed, there are many, many differences on comparison to the first release. While most of the levels work fine, some levels still need inserting/removing and some levels don't even work at all, they either use music that doesn't exist, or a style that is unavailable. And I think there is one or two impossible levels there too. (That should provide a nice challenge to the elite players here, heh heh. 8-))

I also meant to point out that the Sports style exit is very buggy (That must mean that you figured out the solution ;)), I've only managed to get it to work once, and that was with a different level that used the style (It was a small test level I made, just to check the style worked fine), and I'm still unsure of how I managed to do it. It will be fixed in the next release. I almost guarantee it.

And about your last comment; I was intending to update all sets with new styles as they were released, although now, due to my very little activity on these forums, I doubt that will ever happen.

P.S. Some levels are great?! SOME levels are great!?! :o Lemmings Classic was supposed to be the Rolls Royce of my Cheapo level sets. Any level which didn't match up to the standards were dumped into Style Trial. In a way, Style Trial is Classics waste product.
Hey, I could even take that as an insult! :P
/jk

NOTE: BASH IT! and Cry for me 3 will not be in the final version, Minerminute has totally replaced BASH IT! and I'm not including Cry for me 3, simply because I don't like it. The first one was awesome, but 2 and 3 are just cheap rehashes. And besides, the novelty has worn off. I couldn't get enough of them when I first made them, however, it's a bit different now.

Ice_Eagle

« Reply #722 on: May 13, 2006, 11:50:37 PM »
Yes! I finished my second pack!  :) :) :)

http://it.travisbsd.org/lemmings/lemmingswelt/index.php?cmd=get&file=cheapo/IceEagle2.zip

There are 25 levels instead of 31. I had to reject some levels, as they sucked.

I can't wait for your comments, Ahribar!
And hopefully other people.

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #723 on: May 14, 2006, 07:42:34 AM »
When I find time  ;)  And I seem to be missing the style for Levels 3 and 4.

Level 1 was good fun..... nice to see another of my traps being used!

Level 2 was...... um........ definitely different! But with that irritating music, I couldn't be bothered to do lots of replays to make sure of where the traps were, so I took a "through the ceiling" route. The save percentage makes this one much easier, but of course I had to show off by getting 100%  :P

Ice_Eagle

« Reply #724 on: May 16, 2006, 12:31:15 AM »
Here are the styles you're missing:

Level 3: http://www.teamhellspawn.com/lemmings/hellspawn1.zip
Level 4: http://www.garjen.co.uk/Download.php?l=9&f=RedDragons

Anymore comments?

Another thing. I'm going to release two sets at the same time. Set 3 will have 30 levels, and Set 4 will have 22 levels.  ;)

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #725 on: May 16, 2006, 01:44:32 PM »
Level 3 was fun -- I like the dark atmosphere! Makes it a bit trickier to find your way around, but that's not a bad thing.

Level 4 reminded me why I *hate* styles that change the lemming character graphics.... so much harder to control! And the level itself wasn't all that interesting, lots of building. At least having to save 100% made you have to think a bit.

Level 5 made good use of my snowball trap  ;)  but I found it much easier to dig the lemmings out on the left than go through the traps, so that space was rather wasted.

You shouldn't have called Level 6 ugly -- it looks fine, and you did a remarkably good job of recreating the level with the Repton graphics, considering, as you say, that they're not really designed for the purpose  :P  Clever use of the objects, too.

Level 7 was pretty and well-designed.... not all that much fun to play though, just straight building.

Level 8 was different! Not much to look at, but I liked the challenge of keeping the lemmings under control.

Ice_Eagle

« Reply #726 on: May 17, 2006, 11:47:38 PM »
You shouldn't have called Level 6 ugly -- it looks fine, and you did a remarkably good job of recreating the level with the Repton graphics, considering, as you say, that they're not really designed for the purpose  :P  Clever use of the objects, too.

Well, I thought that the "ugly" part of the level was the stairs of the three columns.   :P

And a note; on Level 12, it originally had one climber, but when the climber tried to climb a wall, it fell! And there was no obstacle on the wall that stopped it from climbing, but that glitch happens!

I'd like to see more comments!

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #727 on: May 18, 2006, 01:17:01 PM »
Level 9: quite fun once I'd got past the hidden trap. One that proves that a level with lots of building is OK once in a while  ;)

Level 10: missing the style.....

Level 11: I'm afraid I gave up on this one. Too many hidden traps; it's just not fair. Hidden traps should only be used when (1) you can afford to lose a few lemmings as you work out where they are; or (2) you know where they are because the level is a copy of an earlier one; or (3) it's obvious where they are because they block off a route that would otherwise be way too easy. I'll allow you just one hidden trap that doesn't meet those conditions, as on Level 9, if it's at the very beginning.

Level 12: The time limit stopped this one from being a total waste of space, but still too easy and not very interesting.

Ice_Eagle

« Reply #728 on: May 18, 2006, 11:09:46 PM »
Style for level 10: http://www.garjen.co.uk/Download.php?l=9&f=Fantasy

I didn't like your comments on Levels 11 and 12. :'(

Maybe levels 13-25 will make it up for the snag of those last 12 levels. Well, not levels 18, 19 and 25. Those three levels are not fun.  :-/

Maybe my third and fourth set will do better. I may even add a surprise set inside.

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #729 on: May 19, 2006, 11:44:35 AM »
Sorry about the unfavourable comments.  I think I might have looked at Level 12 more favourably if it hadn't come in a pack that is so heavily focused towards builder-intensive levels.

I'll try Level 10 out as soon as I get a chance  ;)

Ice_Eagle

« Reply #730 on: May 20, 2006, 01:26:02 PM »
Great! I can't wait for comments on that level and the rest of them!

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #731 on: May 20, 2006, 09:10:40 PM »
OK then  :)  here's the next few.

Level 10 was frustrating..... I guess mostly because of having to restart if I missed one floater. Other than that, the stars were well positioned to make you have to think about reaching the exit, and a bit of multi-tasking is always good.

Level 13 was OK..... long and very easy levels aren't really my thing, as you may have guessed. A nice level idea, but I wish there'd been a bit more thinking involved.

I liked Level 14. Only thing is that this one's really crying out loud for a sequel with minimum skills (3 builders, 2 bashers, 3 miners..... or do you know a way to do it in fewer?) to really bring out the puzzle aspect of the level.

Level 15: well, I did it the dull way by building up. I'm sure it can be done in more interesting (and quicker!) ways. This one has potential.

I liked the use of another of my traps on Level 16! Given the very low save rate, I was never sure if I was going to start hitting them all over the place..... which was exactly my intention in creating that trap.

Haven't looked at Level 17 yet.

In spite of what you said, Level 18 was cool. It could have been just building, but I enjoyed the challenge of beating it with as few builders as possible (seven, I make it).

Level 19 was just way too easy. Sorry!

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #732 on: May 20, 2006, 09:21:30 PM »
Level 20 was great fun -- one of those levels where you just can't resist going for 100%. Here's how I did it:

Ice_Eagle

« Reply #733 on: May 21, 2006, 01:20:52 AM »
My second pack has so many bad levels. I had to reject some out. Levels 15 and 19 are bad levels, so they're rejected. Level 25 is just nothing but building with no puzzle, so I rejected that one.

I added one new level and rearranged some levels.

But I'll release the revised version after you're done reviewing, Nuntar. Just six more reviews left! (That includes level 17)

Okay, about the levels:
I may think about changing levels 12 and 13, due to the fact that they're both too easy.
Thanks for your comment on Level 18. I thought that level wasn't fun because it was just building.
No need to apologize for saying that Level 19 was easy. I never really liked that level anyway.
Level 20 is one of my favorite levels. I'm glad you find it fun, and you must've been working really hard on saving 100%, according to that screenshot.  ;)

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #734 on: May 21, 2006, 09:47:07 AM »
Quote from: Ice_Eagle link=1089162351/720#733 date=1148174452
Thanks for your comment on Level 18. I thought that level wasn't fun because it was just building.
No need to apologize for saying that Level 19 was easy. I never really liked that level anyway.
Level 20 is one of my favorite levels. I'm glad you find it fun, and you must've been working really hard on saving 100%, according to that screenshot.  ;)
Nah, it's lots of building that I object to -- something like 30 builders and no real puzzle. Level 18 had only fifteen builders, needed only seven, and had a good puzzle element (in working out how to use as few as possible).

I didn't find it hard to get 100% on Level 20 -- a complicated solution but all the steps were pretty much straightforward. I'd like to see if you have a simpler way!