Author Topic: Cheapo Level Pak topic  (Read 171044 times)

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
Re: Cheapo Level Pak topic
« Reply #705 on: April 16, 2006, 07:28:49 PM »
Quote from: Ice_Eagle link=1089162351/690#704 date=1145198058
&#A0;Maybe I'll improve levels 13, 19, and 20. I'd like to see the comments for the rest of the levels.
You have to de-backroute Level 20; it would be one of the nicest levels in the pack -- indeed, a level anyone could be proud of making -- if you did.

As for the rest, I'll get to them soon. Got to pass that wretched Level 22 first....

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #706 on: April 16, 2006, 11:32:00 PM »
Level 23: Fun, very easy. Not really much to say about this one.

Level 24: Well, it was different!!!

Level 25: Wish the time limit had been longer.... it would have been nice to find the exit and complete the level on my first try. Other than that, it was all routine.

Level 26: Easiest of the whole pack -- it's impossible to lose! Nice "quickie", anyway.

Level 27: Cool level, nice to be using the other (non-builder) skills more. Fun to play for 100%.

Level 28: First level ever in my yellow style!  :D  Requires a couple of thoughtful moves but not really what I would call any puzzle.

Level 29: Brilliant. A completely new style of level that hasn't been done before. Very fun -- and I saved exactly the number required on my first try! I expect 100% is possible with some cleverness, though.......

Level 30: interesting how you made this harder than #25 by having fewer lemmings. Other than that, nothing new on this one.

Level 31: Fun idea for a level, and nice to see my fire objects being put to use! It did get repetitive after a while, though, and waiting for the lemmings to walk back and forth was often a bit tiresome.

Level 32: Heh, another very creative level idea. Good job I didn't think about the fact that the exit was obviously fake until I reached it -- once there it wasn't hard to find the real exit. If I'd been looking all over the level it might have taken me a lot longer.

Level 33: My snowman traps make their first appearance.... pity they're so far out on the fringes of the level. Not much to say about the level itself; it was quick and easy.

Level 34: enormous fun, and what can I say? You make great use of another of my objects!  :D

-- and that's as far as I've got for now. Not very much more to go.......

Ice_Eagle

« Reply #707 on: April 18, 2006, 11:45:01 PM »
To Ahribar:

I'd like to see your comments on the last six levels. I enjoyed reading your comments on my levels.

Should my first pack be reviewed on the Cheapo Level List game?

I've started planning on a 31-level-pack, in which some levels use the rest of your styles (including the Repton one), but I haven't made any levels yet; just sketches.

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #708 on: April 19, 2006, 12:39:02 PM »
Alright, I finished the pack now  ;D  so here are the last six level reviews:

Level 35: So, we finally got to the one "Mayhem" level of the pack.... and what a level it was! Took me a good few tries even to work out that it might be possible, but it was so satisfying when I solved it! I tried to show off by getting the upside-down lemming to the upside-down exit even though the other looked easier.... served me right when the exit didn't work, but thankfully there was *just* enough time left to divert him into the other exit. (But did I miss a much simpler solution?)

Level 36: Annoying? Yes. Maybe. To be honest it felt like winding down after my struggles with Level 35! The only *really* annoying thing was that it took a couple of tries to judge the drop into the exit correctly. I should be doing better than that.

Level 37: Neat.... having to turn the left set round by using the text was a nice touch. I liked the time limit too -- just tight enough that you have to multitask, but not so tight that you need to start both sides together and switch back and forth and back and forth. Still, I only just had a couple of seconds left when I completed it. (And great use of my Wvamiia Kin Pretnee music!)

Level 38: Interesting idea. I just feel it could have been made more of, by putting the exits in places that were harder to reach and making better use of the metal.

Level 39: You like your upside-down lemmings, don't you?  ;)  This one wasn't too hard, a bit tiresome keeping both lemmings under control but there were plenty enough builders. Only really annoying part was getting the upside-down lemming to go in at the very end.

Level 40: The end  :)  I made good use of the build-bash-build trick, otherwise I don't know how I'd have had the patience to make my way through all those interlocking roots. Fun and relaxing, even if it was all pretty much straightforward.

Offline chaos_defrost

• the artist formerly known as Insane Steve
    • View Profile
« Reply #709 on: April 19, 2006, 04:45:05 PM »
I'm getting 0-byte file problems with the Portal files also. I think it's a problem with my computer's security things, although I'd like to play this set.

Can anyone send it to me via e-mail? Thanks.
"こんなげーむにまじになっちゃってどうするの"

~"Beat" Takeshi Kitano

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #710 on: April 19, 2006, 05:11:34 PM »
Will do.

Oh, last thing:

I've started planning on a 31-level-pack, in which some levels use the rest of your styles (including the Repton one), but I haven't made any levels yet; just sketches.
That would be very cool; I'm so glad that people are starting to use my styles! Can't wait to see it when it's finished. As for suggesting this pack to review in the Cheapo Level Review topic, why not? We don't have too many ideas for other packs to review now that the topic's been split into two.

Ice_Eagle

« Reply #711 on: April 19, 2006, 09:53:04 PM »
Level 35: So, we finally got to the one "Mayhem" level of the pack.... and what a level it was! Took me a good few tries even to work out that it might be possible, but it was so satisfying when I solved it! I tried to show off by getting the upside-down lemming to the upside-down exit even though the other looked easier.... served me right when the exit didn't work, but thankfully there was *just* enough time left to divert him into the other exit. (But did I miss a much simpler solution?)

I thought Level 36 was the Mayhem one! Oh, well, now there are two Mayhem levels.

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #712 on: April 19, 2006, 10:00:37 PM »
I half-guessed that you meant that, but as I said, 36 was easy. Especially with the restart feature -- each time I got one of them right I could move on to the next, I didn't have to get all four on the same try.

So I did miss a much simpler way to do 35? Going to tell me what it was?

Ice_Eagle

« Reply #713 on: April 19, 2006, 10:07:37 PM »
Not yet, you didn't miss a simple way. In fact, I don't know what the simple way is. There's probably many ways to solve the level.

Ice_Eagle

« Reply #714 on: April 20, 2006, 11:09:08 PM »
For my second pack, here are some of the levels that I will make:

The Chameleon Club - probably a dangerous level. There's so many chameleons inside!!!! They eat your lems. And you must save all the lems!
Ice Age - a giant level with a time limit of eleven minutes. It would take a long time to scale the heights of the level. Or is there a shorter way?
Infuriation - a level that could just be more annoying than Level 36 of my first pack.
A DisorientationII of a Level - A BeastII of a Level has been flipped upside down! Just like the first one!
Fly, Fly High! - this one has many exits flying in the air, but you don't have many builders.

Oh, btw, has anyone else played my 40-level-set yet? It's pretty fun!

Offline chaos_defrost

• the artist formerly known as Insane Steve
    • View Profile
« Reply #715 on: April 21, 2006, 05:49:06 PM »
I got it from Ahribar. Thanks, by the way.

I've played about half of it thus far -- a few levels I like, a few I don't like, and few that I am missing styles for. I'll follow up with a better post soon.
"こんなげーむにまじになっちゃってどうするの"

~"Beat" Takeshi Kitano

Ice_Eagle

« Reply #716 on: April 21, 2006, 10:31:36 PM »
What styles are you missing?

Ice_Eagle

« Reply #717 on: May 03, 2006, 11:32:37 PM »
I have updated my set to remove backroutes, including level 20.:

http://freespaces.com/iceeagle/iceeagle.zip

If anyone is missing a style, refer here, and then tell me which ones you're missing:

Level 1 - ISWorld.sty
Level 2 - Gblems.sty
Level 3 - Machine.sty
Level 4 - MichaelFire.sty
Level 5 - Columns Musics.sty
Level 6 - Sega.sty
Level 7 - Galaxy.sty
Level 8 - Machine.sty
Level 9 - SMS Pink.sty (for some reason it may not work for some people)
Level 10 - MichaelSand.sty
Level 11 - AmigaCrystal.sty
Level 12 - MichaelDirt.sty
Level 13 - SNESCrystal.sty
Level 14 - MichaelBlue.sty
Level 15 - Red Beach.sty (it comes with my pack, so this shouldn't be a problem)
Level 16 - Adventure.sty
Level 17 - Sonic-GreenHillZone.sty
Level 18 - Prince.sty
Level 19 - Gblems.sty
Level 20 - SMS Multistyle.sty
Level 21 - Space.sty (download from Isu's Style Trial link; Garjen's is probably no good)
Level 22 - Racerlem.sty
Level 23 - dragon.sty (this is such a cool style!)
Level 24 - Ultimate.sty
Level 25 - Lem-Xmas.sty
Level 26 - Pink Musics.sty
Level 27 - AmigaCrystal.sty (originally used Sports.sty, but exit's weird)
Level 28 - MichaelBrown.sty
Level 29 - Factory.sty (check out the level; it's awesome!)
Level 30 - Scavenger.sty
Level 31 - MichaelBrick.sty
Levels 32 and 33 - MichaelSnow.sty (both levels are very special!)
Level 34 - MichaelBall2.sty
Level 35 - L3-Classic.sty (this one comes with the IS Notebook. Level itself is cool-looking)
Level 36 - MichaelXtnd2.sty (this level's for people who love hard levels...)
Level 37 - MichaelFire2.sty (my favorite level and music used in it!)
Level 38 - MichaelBall.sty
Level 39 - Duke Nuke-lem.sty
Level 40 - MichaelRock2.sty

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #718 on: May 04, 2006, 06:57:19 PM »
Quote from: Ice_Eagle link=1089162351/705#717 date=1146699157
Level 37 - MichaelFire2.sty (my favorite level and music used in it!)
Well!  ;D Thank you very much for the compliment.

Ice_Eagle

« Reply #719 on: May 05, 2006, 10:53:25 PM »
No prob, Ahribar. I started to like it while I was playing your ZBB level.

I've done 25/31 levels for my second pack, so that means six more levels to go!  ;D