Author Topic: Cheapo Level Pak topic  (Read 170887 times)

JM

Re: Cheapo Level Pak topic
« Reply #630 on: September 09, 2005, 07:01:19 PM »
I loved the Lemedit levels from the VTM area. Sadly there is no new Lemedit levels there anymore.

« Reply #631 on: September 10, 2005, 12:52:29 AM »
You make it sound like you can actually view the site, which I think is very unlikely. Could you explain?

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #632 on: September 10, 2005, 01:01:15 AM »
Well, you used to be able to view the site.  And I think at this point if you use one of the site archivers like the Internet Wayback Machine (forgot link), you can view its archived copy of the site, though the files are likely not archived so you won't be able to download anything.

Conway

« Reply #633 on: September 10, 2005, 11:29:14 PM »
You mean there are other web archivers? Could you link to any?

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #634 on: September 11, 2005, 12:17:18 AM »
I have no idea (after all, I don't even have the link to the Wayback Machine handy!), though I would be somewhat surprised if the Wayback Machine is the only archiver out there.  Though maybe the Wayback Machine is the most comprehensive of them all?

Offline Argai

• View Profile
« Reply #635 on: September 11, 2005, 01:22:16 AM »
Quote from: ccexplore (not logged in)  link=1089162351/630#634 date=1126397838
I have no idea (after all, I don't even have the link to the Wayback Machine handy!), though I would be somewhat surprised if the Wayback Machine is the only archiver out there. &#A0;Though maybe the Wayback Machine is the most comprehensive of them all?

The link to the waybackmachine is http://www.archive.org/

You can still find the VTM Software website: http://web.archive.org/web/20020122105640/http://vtm.hypermart.net/ but not eveything works anymore.

Conway

« Reply #636 on: September 11, 2005, 01:24:25 AM »
The Wayback Machine is the only one I can find on Google.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #637 on: September 11, 2005, 06:55:13 AM »
Quote from: Argai  link=1089162351/630#635 date=1126401736
You can still find the VTM Software website: http://web.archive.org/web/20020122105640/http://vtm.hypermart.net/

Oh, cool!  Interesting, now that I browsed thru the site via the Machine, I noticed for the first time how much VTM actually tried to present itself as a "company".  I can't help but wonder whether the site died because of a lack of interest, or instead is it because the one-person company became disinterested when he realizes the $$$ isn't flowing.

Or, maybe he got married and have children.  (Who knows?  It doesn't help that by presenting itself as a company, it seems to wind up distancing the people behind it from the users and level contributors.)

So, how did other people here found out about LemEdit anyway?  I don't remember how I did, although I think Google or some search engine might have played a role.

Offline Shvegait

• View Profile
« Reply #638 on: September 11, 2005, 07:02:37 AM »
Hehe, that's kind of neat.

Middle of last November, my friend sent me a link to DOSBox and some games with it (including Lemmings). I had Lemmings (cracked) since I was maybe 5, but it was fun to be able to play it again, and I had never passed much at all in Taxing and Mayhem. So I played through all the levels on DOSBox (and I even got a few other people at college to play Lemmings :P )

After that I Googled for Lemmings pages, mostly out of curiosity, and found some solutions pages, etc. and stumbled across CustLemm and LemEdit (I think it was Steaver's old site? Lemmings Crazy?). LemEdit had the mouse problem, so I had to wait until Thanksgiving break to start working on levels. I made my first pack then, and my second two during the Winter break after. So it's pretty recently that I found out about LemEdit/CustLemm.

Online Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #639 on: September 11, 2005, 07:03:20 AM »
Quote from: ccexplore (not logged in)  link=1089162351/630#637 date=1126421713
So, how did other people here found out about LemEdit anyway?  I don't remember how I did, although I think Google or some search engine might have played a role.

From one of the Lemmings walkthroughs on GameFAQs.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #640 on: September 11, 2005, 07:03:51 AM »
Ok, upon a more careful reading, it seems that VTM wasn't trying to make money, but weirdly enough, it does seem intend to restrict distribution as much as possible so that other people can't easily make money off of its work.

Rather interesting philosophy.  You'd think that just allowing everyone to download for free would be enough, without explicitly saying how other people are not permitted to put LemEdit in shareware packages or what-not without consulting the company/author or whatever.  I sort of see why they might do that, but then again, not really.

And again, it shows that by presenting this impersonal "company" face, it only served to obfuscate the vision, purpose and direction LemEdit's author have for LemEdit.  Still, I suppose maybe calling oneself a company can instill better sense of accountability, unlike how right now I have Ahribar's MIDIs, the program for showing extended graphics (sort of) in LemEdit, and the music picker program for nocdlem all on my plate and haven't done s___ on any of them for the past few days.  ;P  (Come to think of it, I do have a horrible habit of leaving almost everything half-finished......)

Offline Isu

• View Profile
« Reply #641 on: September 11, 2005, 12:13:45 PM »
Quote from: ccexplore (not logged in)  link=1089162351/630#637 date=1126421713

Back in mid-2003, I stumbled across Steavers old site (via Google) with lemedit, custlemm and a few levels. Quickly realising that it wouldn't work on my brand new XP machine, I burned to CD to use on my old PC. After which I realised the Floppy drive was duff, so I couldn't port it back to my PC. Lemedit itself brought back good memories.  :)

Offline chaos_defrost

• the artist formerly known as Insane Steve
    • View Profile
« Reply #642 on: September 11, 2005, 04:06:09 PM »
One of the people on the RuneScape community I used to visit a lot posted a Lemmings thread, where I queried about a level editor. I was then directed to LemEdit. My search also brought me to the LU forums, by the way.
"こんなげーむにまじになっちゃってどうするの"

~"Beat" Takeshi Kitano

Conway

« Reply #643 on: September 11, 2005, 05:47:45 PM »
I guess it was back when I was used to playing Lemmings on the Megadrive, when I was new to computers and didn't yet have the internet. I was searching for Lemmings related sites on Google on the web at the library, and I found the VTM site and Garjen (which also presents itself as a company, but I think it's just Gareth).

JM

« Reply #644 on: September 11, 2005, 06:11:31 PM »
When I completed the Original Lemmings I looked on VTM and Garjen and found several levelpaks and started playing them. I also found Lemedit and started to design my own levels. Now I've made two levels for Cheapo which I hope to release soon. They may not be too good but I hope you enjoy playing them.

EDIT: Go to http://it.travisbsd.org/lemmings/lemmingswelt/index.php

Download my two cheapo levels  :)