Author Topic: CumtomizeLem Error  (Read 3306 times)

Offline Luis

• View Profile
CumtomizeLem Error
« on: October 20, 2010, 09:15:09 PM »
Why all of a sudden I keep getting this error that will force the game to stop when I play a level?

It saids:

C:DOCUME~1\Laptop\MYDOCU~1NoCDLemm\nocdlem2.exe
TheNTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction.
CS:010101 IP:0377 OP:63 ed 3e 60 25 Choose 'Close' to terminate the application.
Mr. Lemmings PSP user.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
Re: CumtomizeLem Error
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2010, 07:02:34 AM »
Does this happen when you try to go to a particular level, or does it happen before it even gets to the game's main menu screen?  If it's only when going into a level, does it happen only on some new (or recently updated) level you're testing out, or is it on an old level that hasn't been updated and was working previously?

Basically I'm guessing there may be something wrong with a new level you're making, which is causing the game to crash.  My questions help me determine whether my theory is on track or totally off.

Offline Luis

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2010, 07:13:03 AM »
It's when I'm playing a level and then later it will crash. I was playing one of Insane Steve's levels (ISteve10) "The Decent Descent". His pack is not to blame because this also happened when I was playing someone else's pack on a certain level.
Mr. Lemmings PSP user.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2010, 08:32:46 AM »
It's when I'm playing a level and then later it will crash. I was playing one of Insane Steve's levels (ISteve10) "The Decent Descent". His pack is not to blame because this also happened when I was playing someone else's pack on a certain level.

Actually, there are some common errors that you may run across in several different people's levels, so I won't be so fast to say the level is not to blame.

In the case of "The Decent Descent", I noticed that interactive object index 14 is not fully within the boundaries of the level area.  While not always the case, it is known that certain cases of interactive objects and steel areas not being fully within bounds of the level area may cause Customized Lemmings to crash.  It would be interesting to see if you are able to make the crash go away by editing the level in LemEdit, changing object index 14's position to y=0 instead of y=-1.  (It's the topmost spike trap object.)

In any case, Windows XP's DOS emulation simply isn't that great, especially for DOS games.  If you're hitting numerous crashes using Window's DOS emulation across multiple levels, perhaps it's a sign that it's time to try DOSBox instead.  This post of mine is a quick primer on how to use DOSBox to run DOS games.  The post was written for Lemmings 2, but is easily adapted to other DOS Lemmings games as well.  That's not to say that the same crashes won't happen in DOSBox on those levels (eg. my theory about your crash is really about a known bug in the game, as opposed to an emulation bug in Window's DOS emulator or DOSBox's emulation), but just in case it is not a level-specific crash but a more general crash related to Window's crappy DOS emulation, DOSBox may be the way to go for you.

Offline Luis

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2010, 09:47:37 AM »
I change the spike to y=0 and it fixed it. I even waited for the time limit to go to zero to see if will crash but it didn't. Thanks.
Mr. Lemmings PSP user.

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2010, 10:27:09 AM »
Wait, that level has 15 objects? I must have an old version. Anyway, this is indeed one of those "common errors" ccexplore mentions. Out of interest, what was the other level you had trouble with? Did it have objects off the screen as well, or was it something different?

@Insane Steve: Objects at y=-1 don't work in Lemmix either - the y position wraps around to 65535 (so in effect it just disappears). You could fix this by shifting the whole level down by 4 pixels.

Offline Luis

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2010, 05:42:01 PM »
Out of interest, what was the other level you had trouble with? Did it have objects off the screen as well, or was it something different?

The other one was in this pack: http://camanis.net/lemmings/levelpacks.php?info&pack=145 It's the one that saids "Take A Bow". When all the Lemmings come out, the terrains will start moving around and crash.
Mr. Lemmings PSP user.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2010, 06:57:23 PM »
That level has 100 lemmings, which is not supported by CustLemm.  The maximum for CustLemm is 80 lemmings, anything more will pretty much guarantee some sort of crash or hang.

For that level, you can fix it for CustLemm by reducing the number of lemmings to 80 and adjust the number of lemmings to save to 39 (to preserve the 48%), although to be honest, you don't lose much if you simply skip that level. :P