Author Topic: Start Level  (Read 2208 times)

Offline Luis

• View Profile
Start Level
« on: September 09, 2010, 05:57:12 AM »
How do I start the level in Lemedit to test it? I already have the entrance and the exit there.
Mr. Lemmings PSP user.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
Re: Start Level
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2010, 11:45:09 AM »
You can't.  LemEdit only does level editing.  For playtesting, you'll need to use either Customized Lemmings (aka CustLemm) or LemmixPlayer (the latter requires some additional setup which I don't remember off top of my head; maybe namida can help if you chose that route).

The easiest setup with CustLemm would be to use the download from the webpage I linked to, and then copy your LemEdit3.exe and LemEdit.dat files from LemEdit into the CustLemm folder (as well as any levelsets you've already made), then forget about your old LemEdit folder and do your level editing and playtesting both in the CustLemm folder.

Yup, with LemEdit we're talking about a program that's like over a decade old and was written for DOS.  You'll need to get use to it. :-\

Offline Luis

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2010, 03:05:59 PM »
I gave up on Lemmix months ago. It was too complex to the extreme to get it to work. Where it saids new level in custlemm, am I suppose type the name of my level? Like for example if the level is name Just Dig 2007, am I suppose to type Just Dig 2007? It keeps saying incorrect code. I did copy and paste the LemEdit3 and LemEdit.dat and the level I was making into the custLemm folder.
Mr. Lemmings PSP user.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2010, 10:16:54 PM »
Where it saids new level in custlemm, am I suppose type the name of my level?

Haha, if only it were that simple. :D :P

There's a "readme" file that comes with the custlemm from my download link.  Here's the relevant passage for your question:

Playing custom levels:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Let's suppose You have downloaded a level pack from internet
and You want to play it. Here are the instructions:

+ First of all verify the pack contains 10 levels ( use LemEdit ).
   If not, the game may crash, so use Your blank "LEVELPAK.DAT"
   file and via LemEdit transfer all levels from downloaded pack
   into the "LEVELPAK.DAT" file. If the pack already contained
   10 levels, just rename the file to "LEVELPAK.DAT".

+ Run "CUSTLEMM.EXE" and choose the "Step". "Step 1" means You
   will play the first level in pack with ordinal number 0
   ( this is displayed in LemEdit ). "Step 2" will let You play
   third level ( ordinal number 2 ) and so on. To access levels
   with odd ordinal numbers, either win the level before, or
   enter the cheat-code "SKIPLEVELS" and press "5" on NumPad during
   the game

Basically you'll need to first go to LemEdit, load your level in LemEdit, and then save it into the "levelpak.dat" levelpak that CustLemm will look for levels in.  Then the level will be part of the sequence of 10 levels you can access in CustLemm.  To make things simple, for playtesting you should probably always save it as the first level of levelpak.dat, that way you won't have to bother with cheat-codes and the like, it'll be the first level ("Step 1") and very easy to get to.  To play a level in CustLemm after selecting the "step" (use up/down keys to change "step"), press F1 on the game menu screen.

Offline Luis

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2010, 05:27:44 AM »
I got the level working, thanks. :thumbsup: It was easier than Lemmix. The game has no music or sounds even though it's on. It's important to hear the sound of the builder.
Mr. Lemmings PSP user.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2010, 12:16:13 AM »
The game has no music or sounds even though it's on.

If you try to run CustLemm directly in Windows then yeah, you'll run into problems like that.

Obviously if you actually still have a computer old enough to have actual DOS, then run it on that.  Otherwise, the recommended way to run DOS programs in Windows (especially "modern" versions like Windows XP and beyond) is to use DOSBox, which you can think of as an emulator program for DOS that allows DOS programs (particularly games) to run in Windows more like how they were supposed to run in actual DOS.

There's unfortunately a little bit of setup required for that program, but for now, go to this website to find a download for DOSBox, and hopefully you can find some easy to understand setup instructions on that website also.

LemmixPlayer (again, not to be confused with Lemmix editor) is also an alternative if you don't want to deal with DOSBox but still want working sound and music.

Offline klapaucius

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2010, 03:59:43 PM »
I guess that when you're experienced to using Lemmix level editor, It will be much more convenient than only using the LemEdit.

Above all, the "Instant Level Test" by only pressing 'F2' key , replay function ('R' Key) and 10-seconds jump function('Space Bar') will greatly help you to create and test your own levels. :)

I sometimes use DOS LemEdit for create or modify terrains and objects, but I always use Lemmix editor for test my levels.

I live in Asia, so I am not good at write in English.
I'll be very appreciated if you understand my poor English sentences :)