Author Topic: Karoshi  (Read 8582 times)

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
Karoshi
« on: August 04, 2010, 10:13:27 AM »
I just found this fantastic puzzle game series by Jesse Venbrux. It combines standard puzzle-platforming elements with some devious lateral thinking challenges, and the objective in each level is... well, somewhat unique. :D

The two on the right are browser games - there's some overlap with the downloadable games, but not much. None takes too long to play, if you know what you're doing. And Karoshi 2 has a level editor 8)

Anyone else played these?

Burned

Re: Karoshi
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2010, 01:11:13 PM »
I have just tried it and the game is excellent, and so funny! Plus, I love the concept and how they turn things around so that you must die instead of winning a level alive. I enjoyed Karoshi 2 the best, with Super Karoshi coming a close second! I also love how they throw lateral puzzles, cheap tricks and jokes inside them (particularly the ones in Karoshi 2, where they trick you into thinking the game is over, when it's not).

I wish the Custom Level Editor in Karoshi 2 was fully customizable, though. Not just adding spike traps, but adding special effects like changing the background and tiles, adding water/slime/lava, making sure that the guy does not touch any blue buttons, etc. Other than that, these games are excellent!

Interesting note: The guys in Super Karoshi that you must also kill seem to behave like lemmings. Also, the game's rules as a whole seem to be the opposite of Lemmings.

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2010, 08:57:12 PM »
I played the original version a long time ago, and stumbled across one of the browser versions some time ago when showing it to some friends.
Nice to know there's even more of them, gotta try them sometime, having an editor sounds fun as well, wonder whether there are some custom levels out there already.
Though with all the stuff I'm busy with lately, I guess it'll have to wait for a while still. :/

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2010, 03:47:04 AM »
Yeah, the editor is a tad disappointing, but still it's something.

There are some cutsom levels posted in this thread on the Game Maker forum, and searching Google might turn up a few more. The format is just text, so you can paste it into the game when you select the Custom Level option. (First you need to remove spaces and newline characters.) Half of them consist of just a gun and a screen full of mirrors though :P

I made some quick levels myself:

Check yourself:
aadadadadacccacacacaoaaagaaaecaaacccccccaacececgcaaaackkkkkcacacahacbaaaacaaaaacaacacaoamaaaacaaaaacacacacacccaaaaaaaaaaaacacaaacaaaaaaaaaaaacacacacacaaaaaaaafaaacacaaacaaaaaahaaaaacacacacacaafaaaaaaaaacacaaacaaaaaaaaaaaacacacacacaaaaaaaaaaqaaaaaracacccccccccc

Shot down:
ccccccccccccccccccccaaaaaaaannaaaadaaaaaaaaaaaaaatcccccaacacaaaaaaaacccaaaaaaaacaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaccabaaaaaaaaaaaaaaacccaaamaaaaaaaaaaaaackcaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaacjcccccccaaaaaaaaaaccjkkkkkkcaaaaaaaaaackaaaaaalcaaauaaaaaacjaaaaaalccccccccccccjaaaaaaakkkkkkkkkkkkaa

Safe Mountain:
aaaaaaaaaamaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaadadaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaddaddaaaaaaaaaaaaaadddadddaaaaaaaaaaaaddddaddddaaaaaaaaaadddddadddddaaaaaaaaddddddaddddddaaabaadddddddadddddddaaaaddddddddaddddddddaadddddddddadddddddddcccccccccccccccccccc

Ladder:
aaaaaaaaaaaaaandncdcaaaaaaaaaaaaaachcsfsaaaaaaaaaaaaaanencgcaaaaaaaaaaaaaanancacaaaaaaaaaaaaaachcsfsaaaaaaaaaaaaaanencgcbaaaaaaaaaaaaanancacaaaaaaaaamaaaachcsfsaaaaaaaaacaaaanencgcaaaaaeaaacaaaanancacaaaaafaaacaaaachcsfsccccccccccaaaanancgcccccccccccccccnnncsc

4 shots for glory: (there's an easy way, sadly - couldn't fix that...)
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaabamaaaaaaaaadaeaaaaacccaaaaaaaaacccaaaaapqcaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaqpcaaaaaaaaadagagaaapqccccaaaaaacccccaaaqpqpqcaaaaaaaaaaaaaapqpqpcaaaaaahaaaaafsccccccccaaaacccccccccqpqpqpcaaaacssaassccpqpqpqcaaaacaassaaccqpqpqpcaauacssaassccccccccccccccccccccc

EDIT: Built another one :D
Split personalities:
ddcaaaaaaaaaaaaaaacbafcaaaaaaaaaaaaaaacbaacaaaacaaaaacaaaacbaacaaacaaaaaaacaaacbaacaacacccccccacaacbaacaaacaaaaaaacaaacbaacaaaacaaaaacaaaacbaacaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahbaacaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahbaacaaaaaaamaaaaaaahbaacaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahbegcaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahbcccccccccccccccccccc

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2010, 12:33:30 PM »
Ok, I've tried out and finished K1, and am currently on level 34 of K2.  Kinda like a platformer-puzzler version of "The Impossible Quiz".   ;P 8)  Entertaining!

I've also tried out (and solved) ClamSpammer's first custom level, I'll do the rest later (it's kinda a pain to cut and paste like that, I'd rather get them in file form).

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2010, 09:30:55 AM »
I prefer the copy/paste method myself... no need to log in to the forum, for one thing. Anyway, level files attached :)

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2010, 02:03:05 AM »
Ok, finished K2 also.  I think I have to say I kinda like K1 a little better in some ways.  I appreciate the lengths K2 go to increase the wackiness (for lack of better word) factor, but sometimes I think it tries a little too hard (*cough*level 48*cough*).  I do like the final ending of K2 though, where you get to pick to go to the Place Above or the Place Below (I'm deliberately trying to avoid spoilering), and particularly how it depicts the Place Below in the Karoshi theme. :D

I've also solved all of Clam's custom levels.  I really love Safe Mountain, that was a great puzzle.  :thumbsup: I do wish the custom level support at least let you build levels bigger than one screen; as it is, it's rather limiting even if you ignore the lack of "special effects" (which is pretty much expected since obviously those are specially programmed into the game on a level-by-level basis).

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2010, 02:44:52 AM »
I appreciate the lengths K2 go to increase the wackiness (for lack of better word) factor, but sometimes I think it tries a little too hard (*cough*level 48*cough*)

Incidentally, there is another version with level 48 changed, since it turned out to be unsolvable on some machines. There's a download link in this post on the Game Maker forum.

I've also solved all of Clam's custom levels.

WOW! YOU ROCK!! UNBELIEVABLE!!

:thumbsup:

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2010, 10:31:42 AM »
4 shots for glory: (there's an easy way, sadly - couldn't fix that...)

I've actually end up with nearly half a dozen various solutions to that one.  But I think here's a version that has only the one solution you want:

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaabamaaaaaaaaadaeaaaaacccaaaaaaaaacccaaaaapqcaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaqpcaaaaaaaaadagagaaapqccccaaaaaacccccaaaqpqpqcaaaaaaaaaaaaaapqpqpcaaaaaahaaaaafscccccccaaaaacccccccccqpqpqcaaaaacssaassccpqpqpcaaaaacaassaaccqpqpqcaauaacssaassccccccccccccccccccccc

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2010, 11:19:05 AM »
Wow... not sure how you got so many. But, oddly, your version doesn't fix my problem at all. The "easy way" I mentioned is to
Quote from: spoiler
shoot the lower safe twice quickly so that it stays on the switch.

I had a quick go just now at making a better version, but the timing is tricky to set up. Will try again soon, tomorrow hopefully.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2010, 11:55:54 AM »
Wow... not sure how you got so many.

Ok I might've slightly exaggerated as many solutions are more variations than distinctly different ones.  But the main point is that

Once you set the lower block to stay onto the switch using the trick you mentioned, you have the ability to just jump over to the other side (obviously not from the bottom of the pit, but from the left side to the right side of the pit), where you can completely ignore the mirror and just stack the blocks in various ways and places for suicidal purposes.  Or you can push the blocks yourself onto the switches and then use the mirror.  This is what I prevented in my version, by widening the pit.

But, oddly, your version doesn't fix my problem at all. The "easy way" I mentioned is to

Oh whoops, obviously as noted above, I used that in my first few solutions actually, but I totally forgot about this when I did my version.  But that's easy to fix (at slight expense of making the timing slightly trickier):

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaabamaaaaaaaaadeeaaaaacccaaaaaaaaacccaaaaapqcaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaqpcaaaaaaaafdagagaaapqccccaaaaaacccccaaaqpqpqcaaaaaaaaaaaaaapqpqpcaaaaaahaaaaafscccccccaaaaacccccccccqpqpqcaaaaacssaassccpqpqpcaaaaacaassaaccqpqpqcaauaacssaassccccccccccccccccccccc

Is that your better version by any chance?

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2010, 10:09:08 AM »
Quote from: ccexplore
you have the ability to just jump over to the other side

Well that's embarrassing... I got the max jump distance confused with the jump height. :XD:

I managed to solve your new version after about 50 tries. The timing is a little too harsh for my liking, but I suppose that could work for an uber-hard  "fangame" or some such. ;) Anyway, my idea was to put the guy in the middle and have the the safes, switches and mirrors on both sides (one of each switch on each side) so you need to shoot both ways. This setup barely fits on the screen though, so adjusting the timing requirement is difficult...

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2010, 11:51:54 AM »
I managed to solve your new version after about 50 tries. The timing is a little too harsh for my liking

I see.  Well it took me closer to 5 tries, and I'm hardly the type that plays much arcade/action type games that requires good timing and so forth, so I wouldn't underestimate your average Karoshi player either. ;P

That said, here's a version that prevents the backroute while keeping the timing tolerance much closer to the original version, I think.  (I also slightly altered the left side, so that you won't accidentally fall into the pit as easily.)  Give it a try:

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaabmaaaaaaaaaadaeaaaaaccaaaaaaaaaahccaaaaapcaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaqcaaaaaaaaaadagagaaapccccaaaaaaacccccaaaqpqpcaaaaaaaaaaaaaaapqpqcaaaaaaahaaaaafscccccccaaaaacccccccccqpqpqcaaaaacssaassccpqpqpcaaaaacaassaaccqpqpqcaauaacssaassccccccccccccccccccccc

As for your "both sides" idea:

Perhaps I don't quite have the right mental picture, but in doing "both sides", are you basically abandoning the need to shoot one of the safe twice?  If so, then I think you actually have enough vertical room to fit 3 rows of safes plus the one row of mirrors and switchable walls, all on one side.  Though I'll agree it's not a great looking setup.

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2010, 12:04:18 PM »
That works, I guess. There's still one tricky bit of timing, but it's just in the first two shots so it's not so bad.

I got the "both sides" idea working, by taking advantage of the fact that the guy can't jump into narrow corridors:

lcccccaaaaaaaacccccjaeadaaaaaaaaaaaadaealcccccaaaaaaaacccccjlcccccaaaaaaaacccccjagadaaaaaaaaaaaadagalcccccaacaacaacccccjaaaaaaaaabmaaaaaaaaasfaaaaaahaahaaaaaafsaaaaaaaaccccaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaccccaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaccccaaaaaaaacuuuuuuuccccuuuuuuuccccccccccccccccccccc

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2010, 12:56:51 PM »
Wow, that is easier for you timing-wise?!? ??? :o  I'm finding that having to change facing direction is really tripping me up.  Maybe I'm just not doing it right. :XD:

I also realize something about my versions when I played your two-side version:

In your original one-side version, the first 2 shots can actually be done in either order (top safe-bottom safe, or bottom safe-top safe).  When I solved it I actually had done it top-bottom, so my later versions all reflect that, and may perhaps explain some of the difficulties you have with my versions.  (Though I've just tried both ordering in my most recent version, and they are still much easier to execute compare to your version, which I haven't even succeeded yet!)

I also found that your two-side version has a backroute:

Just pick one side, and shoot the bottom safe then the top safe during a jump.  Then get down and quickly get to standing at one of the square-switched walls before it rematerializes, and quickly shoot at the nearest mirror.  Your standing at the square-switched wall effectively prevents it from materializing (ie. bullet-blocking) even long after the bottom safe went off the square switch, so as long as the bullet clears the circle-switched wall next to the mirror, it'll hit you.

[edit: ok, finally successfully solve your version your intended way with some consistency now. 8) There are definitely less time allowed between shots in your version compared with mine, so for me your version is harder.

For reference, here's how I just did your version:

Quote from: spoilers
Stand at one of the blocks so you're at same height as the lower row of safes.  Pick a side, then shoot the lower safe followed by the upper safe in a single jump.  Turn around as you fall from the jump, then shoot the mirror followed by the lower safe in a 2nd jump.

And how I did my own version:

Quote from: spoilers
(Top-bottom): simply walk down and shoot for the first 3 shots, then jump up for the 4th shot.  There's a little bit of timing involved, as the bullet will barely clear the circle-switch wall next to the mirror, but the shoot themselves are actually not spaced as close together in time, relatively speaking.

(bottom-top):  when you drop to the height of the lower safe, stand as far left as possible.  Then shoot at the lower safe, immediately jump forward, and shoot at the upper safe during the jump.  The jumping forward means the bullet for the upper safe has less horizontal distance to travel compare with the 1st shot for the lower safe, helping ensure that it'll move the upper safe before the square-switched floor it sits on dematerializes.  Finish the rest as above.
]

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2010, 02:16:39 PM »
Further fooling around with Clam's level leads to the following, I call it "4 shots...disrupted!":  ;P

lcccccaaaaaaaacccccjaeadaaaaaaaaaaaadaealchcccaaaaaaaaccchcjlcccccaaaaaaaacccccjagadaaaaaaaaaaaadagalcfcccaacaacaacccfcjaaaaaaaaaamaaaaaaaaasfaaaaaahbahaaaaaafsaaaaaaaaccccaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaccccaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaccccaaaaaaaacuuuuuuuccccuuuuuuuccccccccccccccccccccc

Yes, it's solvable, and I guess the timing might be trickier for some.  But it's probably more obvious than you might think.  No glitches either (not that I've found any).

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2015, 10:06:47 PM »
this game is pretty fun. Does anybody know if there is a save or password system? It be nice to be able to pick up where I left off...
nevermind-- I see the "calender" thing on the main page  :XD:

the music is very similar to what's used in Puzzle studio [the unofficial remake of Chips challenge 2 that was never finished]
« Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 10:22:03 PM by möbius »
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2015, 10:27:20 PM »
As a side note - I didn't see it mentioned in this topic - there's also an mobile version, which has unique levels too. It doesn't seem to be listed on Google Play anymore, though. The iOS version also seems to be no longer available.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)