Author Topic: Lemmings & Oh No! More Lemmings DOS music for Lemmix  (Read 7412 times)

Offline Domarius

• View Profile
Re: Lemmings & Oh No! More Lemmings DOS music for Lemmix
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2010, 02:33:23 AM »
Here you go, guys:

http://www.4shared.com/file/r6EVebBm/LEMM_ADLIB.html
http://www.4shared.com/file/OuBN5aPj/OHNO_ADLIB.html

For LEMM_ADLIB, tracks 1-17 correspond to the order of the songs played during the game. Tracks 18-21 are the special level songs in order.
For OHNO_ADLIB, the same as above, like the standard songs.

Any download issues, let me know.

FINALLY!  Someone did this!  Thanks mate!  I admit it was probably possible for me to get around to it but I never found the time, and you've done a perfect job.  The looping is perfect and there's nothing wrong with the recording to my ear.  (The only thing to complain about is in 2 of the songs, the instruments are not quite right, but that's just a limitation of emulating Adlib in DosBox)

You know, for years, you do a search for the original Adlib Lemmings sound track, and all you get are posts of people talking about how much they loved the Amiga Lemmings music and people wondering if the PC version even HAD music!  Why was it so unknown and underapreciated??  Especially since the Amiga version just a very very shoddy quick port from Adlib to MOD.

To explain; the Amiga music wasn't re-composed to take advantage of the MOD format's strengths.  Usually what you do with MOD files is compensate for the 4 voice limit by using appregios, and exploiting the fact that the instruments are just sound recordings by recording a variety of chords as single instruments.   But instead it seems it was just cheaply ported over from the PC music files, resulting in missing harmony notes etc. due to the 4 voice limit.  So as far as MOD music goes, they are pretty shoddy.

So yeah - kind of frustrating when searching for this soundtrack, to hear people "liking" the Amiga version so much.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2010, 07:19:18 AM »
Especially since the Amiga version just a very very shoddy quick port from Adlib to MOD.

Actually, the Amiga and PC versions of Lemmings were developed more or less concurrently, with the Amiga version happened to be released slightly earlier.

As far as technology goes, neither port really took full use of the available sound technologies.  The adlib version in fact doesn't need to be limited into using only 3 channels out of the 9 available for music.  If anything, it would almost seem as if the legacy of 3 channels originated from the Amiga version.

Together with the fact that a good number of Lemmings music are simply re-arranged "classic/folk" tunes with no copyright restrictions, instead of originals, it's clear that music simply isn't as big a focus as it could be when it comes to the original ports of Lemmings.  Also, considering that the Atari ST version was I think also developed concurrently, and that the PC version also supports Tandy with its more primitive sound support, it may simply boil down to a case of developing for the least common denominator.

So yeah - kind of frustrating when searching for this soundtrack, to hear people "liking" the Amiga version so much.

Haha.  Relax, I think this is just a simple consequence that there was much more of a "MOD scene" with the Amiga in general, due to a number of technological advantages.  When you already have an environment where it'e easier for people to rip music off of a game to be played in other contexts, there's bound to be a selection bias favoring the number of people who'll talk about the Amiga game music compared with the PC, even if it might well be the case that there were actually more people who first played the PC version.

The simple practical fact is, recording and sharing the PC version of music is pretty much not practical for the typical user until the days of Windows and DOSBox and widespread adoption of sound cards with full digital record and playback capabilities, plus the development of decent compression like MP3, and technologies like the internet (you'd be hard press to fit all the MP3s of the PC Lemmings music onto a 3.5 floppy!).  Unlike the Amiga.

Offline brumbles

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2011, 01:39:11 AM »
I have been looking for the Lemming DOS music for ages! I found this thread and got so excited, but when I try to download it, it tells me that the link is broken! Is there a different link I could follow or another place where I can find the music?? Thanks in advance!