Author Topic: Marble Drop  (Read 2712 times)

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
Marble Drop
« on: January 12, 2012, 11:47:09 PM »
anybody here ever play or here of this game? some great puzzles and really tough too. this is another game would be cool to have an editor for. I'm not sure if its compatible on new computers, I have to check.

I read somewhere that the idea behind this game actually came from drawings by Leonardo DaVinci! that really boggles my mind.
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline finlay

• View Profile
Re: Marble Drop
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2012, 12:53:33 AM »
Never heard of it. But I just had a watch on youtube – it seems to me like a combination of a pinball game and those plastic marble runs that I used to construct as a kid.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2012, 01:10:11 AM »
I have played this exhaustively as a kid, it's actually easy to finish compared to other puzzle games.

Actually, I wondered why there was no editor on this back then. It looked similar enough to the Incredible Machine, which came with full editing capabilities. Marble Drop levels seem like pre-rendered, I assume it's extremely hard to make an editor for this. Maybe writing a remake is the better way to go here. ;-)

-- Simon

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2012, 02:03:14 AM »
Actually, I wondered why there was no editor on this back then. It looked similar enough to the Incredible Machine, which came with full editing capabilities. Marble Drop levels seem like pre-rendered, I assume it's extremely hard to make an editor for this. Maybe writing a remake is the better way to go here. ;-)

How old of a game are we talking about?  I don't really think level editors became an expected game feature until the last few or so years.

I'll have to see the game to understand the pre-rendered part, but the bottom line is, one way or another some tool must exist for creating levels, because the very people creating the game need such a tool themselves.  Now of course the tool used by the game developers may be very primitive and no way usable for the average end-user (in extreme cases, just a text editor), but most well-developed games tend to have better tools than tht, because of the benefits of being able to develop new levels and tweak existing levels more effectively.