Author Topic: L++: Networked multiplayer Lemmings  (Read 59835 times)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
Re: L++: Networked multiplayer Lemmings
« Reply #135 on: December 21, 2009, 06:14:52 PM »
All of them are free software. Use a VM if you don't want to compile yourself, and if the Linux version won't run natively.

-- Simon

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
    • Leafwing Studios Website (EXTREMELY OUTDATED)
« Reply #136 on: December 21, 2009, 10:18:37 PM »
A linux version *might* natively run?  Is that for real?

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #137 on: December 21, 2009, 10:44:00 PM »
Dullstar: I don't know. I've never used Macs, I merely know that Mac OSes are Unix variants. Maybe the 32-bit x86 Linux version from my website works, maybe not, try and see. If it doesn't work, compile the game yourself. The necessary libraries are available for your system. It'd also be a nice thing to know in general if L++ compiles with no problems on a Mac.

Clam Spammer: The multiplayer management is still in a basic stage. The ideal thing would be all of the following - multiple games next to each other on the same server, the possibility to select observer mode instead of a participating color, and the ability to observe a game when you enter it late.

I hope to get some bugfixing done over the holidays, but I can't tell if I'll work on one of the things above right then. They're on the wishlist.

-- Simon

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: December 22, 2009, 08:00:12 AM »
I thought you were staying away from this.

umm... yeah.

:-\

I already got one set up with Mr. K's help so I can play Star Wars Galactic Battlefield

Hey, I have that game :D (I presume you mean Galactic Battlegrounds)

Offline GigaLem

• The Dog That Brought Lemmings to Avalice
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: December 22, 2009, 11:48:34 PM »
Can't you creat a instal file of an easyer way to set it up?
and heres a few sagestions

backround menu
customised hair and clothes
import grafics for tilesets
L++ menu logo
music of chioce for multiplayer

i'll put it on the wish list

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
« Reply #140 on: December 23, 2009, 07:25:59 AM »

Hey, I have that game :D (I presume you mean Galactic Battlegrounds)

I always get it confused.  I'd like to see what the base game is like, but for whatever reason we only have the install CD for the base game, so I can only play the Clone Campaigns version (not as if that's a problem, but I'd like to see the original one in action sometime).  On topic, I will try that with the Linux version and/or source code sometime.

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
« Reply #141 on: December 23, 2009, 06:59:04 PM »
Can't you creat a instal file of an easyer way to set it up?

I prefer not having install files, and just downloading the file you use to run it.  Then you just download the program and run it. With installers, you download the installer, then you have to install it, and of course, the installer has to be different for every operating system.  It's really not difficult to set up.  Are you sere you're downloading the version for your operating system?  If that's your problem, I'm going to laugh.

Offline Mindless

• Inactive - may respond to PM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: December 24, 2009, 02:10:25 AM »
Server has gone missing again... always while I'm away from it ._.
Hopefully it'll be back in a couple of days. *crosses fingers*

Edit: fixed a couple days ago; sorry about the downtime.

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
« Reply #143 on: January 02, 2010, 11:49:45 PM »
I will have to compile from source.  I'll get to that later.  Anyways, I have a suggestion, but I know that at the best it would be very hard to implement.  How about AI opponents?  If you do this, I know it will probably take a while.  With a game like Lemmings, I'd be curious to know if it would even work.

Offline chaos_defrost

• the artist formerly known as Insane Steve
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: January 03, 2010, 04:31:18 AM »
What happened to this? Games don't run as often as they used to.
"こんなげーむにまじになっちゃってどうするの"

~"Beat" Takeshi Kitano

Offline RubiX

• Amiga <3 The memories
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: January 31, 2010, 07:03:00 PM »
Hi all, looking forward to doing some Multiplayer lemmings with you guys, but notice I cannot play the game right away.   Looking through the forum I see a guy named Giga saying something about 'not seeing sprites'
I think he should have went into more detail to explain his problem as this is probably what I am seeing also.

:-   The game does open, I get the screen asking for my name, then the menu for single / multi etc
Though next screen is the options to select a level.   Network/orig/test  are unclickable buttons, so I cannot select anything to play.  The only buttons you can click on this screen is the Edit button and the back button.

So , tried extracting again, same issues.
Tried on another computer.  Works great.

Issue appears to be unplayable on Win Vista
Other computer = WIN XP

Thanks.

(well done on pushing multiplayer lemmings to the limits here Simon, impressive!)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #146 on: January 31, 2010, 08:55:38 PM »
Hi, thanks for the good description!

Vista, okay... unfortunately I don't have a machine with Vista to test it myself. From what I've read about it on the net, I believe the problem might come from the inaccessibility of certain directories under Vista.

L++ tries to access files inside its own subdirectories when it loads the sprites, levels or configuration files, or when it writes changes to them. network/, orig/ and test/ are subdirectories of (lpp's own folder)/levels/. This approach was clean under older versions of Windows -- one could uninstall the game by removing its directory, and everything was gone. It works under Unix variants as well, even if it's not the standard behavior there as far as I know.

I haven't read enough of how Vista handles these situations to give a good answer. I will think about a future-proof solution when this semester's exams are over in some weeks. Until then, maybe it works to put a copy of the L++ folder directly into the Vista virtual store?

-- Simon

Offline RubiX

• Amiga <3 The memories
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: January 31, 2010, 09:33:46 PM »
Ah , I partially see where you are going with that.   So yes, I have tried copying L++ into the virtual folder, and also tried all compatibility modes / making sure its ran on administrator etc, but to no avail yet.

I'll keep messing with things incase I find a way to get it going on vista, but for now at least I can play it on my XP laptop.

Offline RubiX

• Amiga <3 The memories
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: February 01, 2010, 02:52:08 AM »
Me and my brother will play quite often, hope to see you guys on!

Offline chaos_defrost

• the artist formerly known as Insane Steve
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: February 01, 2010, 08:00:19 AM »
I'm definitely up for some games whenever people want to play  :thumbsup:
"こんなげーむにまじになっちゃってどうするの"

~"Beat" Takeshi Kitano