Author Topic: Lemmings 2 glitches  (Read 40852 times)

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
    • Leafwing Studios Website (EXTREMELY OUTDATED)
Re: Lemmings 2 glitches
« Reply #45 on: December 12, 2009, 04:49:45 PM »
Yep, I've seen that one too.  I never could actually pull it off though.  It's the trick used in Classic 7 for 100%.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #46 on: March 10, 2010, 12:00:35 PM »
1. Play Lemmings 2 in Dosbox.
2. Assign Attractor.
3. Party!

-- Simon

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 10, 2010, 09:38:33 PM »
^
|
|

weird, how long do you have to wait before it glitches like that?  Or was it just a matter of how long the game has been running?

===========

More a visual quirk than a glitch IMO, but the dragon trap in Medieval IX sure is quirky.  Simon noted for example that runners can get past the dragon unharmed, although that at least looks perfectly natural (the dragon reacts slower than the runner can run past where the fire strikes).

Here's another example (see screenshot).  Lemmings landing a little to the left of where the dragon's fire strikes can apparently still trigger the dragon to fire, with no one killed in the process--including a lemming that's practically right at the dragon's mouth.  ;)  Basically it looks like the trap has a larger "activation region", with a smaller "kill zone" inside, and there's of course the small delay between activating the dragon and the deadly fire striking the kill zone.

Offline -H0ru5-

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 10, 2010, 11:33:55 PM »
More a visual quirk than a glitch IMO, but the dragon trap in Medieval IX sure is quirky.  Simon noted for example that runners can get past the dragon unharmed, although that at least looks perfectly natural (the dragon reacts slower than the runner can run past where the fire strikes).

As far as I remember, runners could avoid the Walker too, and jumping also saved the lemming despite the trap became triggered. There's no L2 in nearby to check myself, however.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #49 on: March 11, 2010, 12:03:04 AM »
Attractor glitch: I had the game running for over 4 hours at that time and was restarting a lot. It hung right after the attractor assignment. It might be a Dosbox glitch, but it looks like it's an L2 memory leak. I could still move the mouse while the opened cursor didn't close, and nothing else but the mouse moved.

ccexplore's screenshot is another good proof of how the dragon-type traps work in detail. The behavior is logical and not a bug at all, yep. It's just rather different from both a nonconstantly animated and a constantly animated trap in L1.

I did a quick runner test against the robot in the space practice level. A single lemming can't do it, as the trap kills on the 1st or 2nd frame. I made 20 runners and clustered them in the pit in front of the trap with glue pourers. After freeing them, none got past. But there might still be a different way to time them. The trap has a some harmless frames at the end of the cycle. It's kill area is rather large, though.

Another screenshot is attached - the rope sticks to the corner of the water tile, as if some part of terrain was there. I think this is unique to this particular position, I haven't got it to work in different water basins yet.

-- Simon

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
NEWFLASH: direct drop FAILS on DOS Lemmings 2
« Reply #50 on: March 13, 2010, 11:56:37 AM »
I know direct drop works on the SNES version of Lemmings 2 because that was how I solved Sports 8 with 9 skills (although your accuracy needed to be precise to the very pixel). It could work here, too.

I haven't tested that level, but at least on a different level (Space 4), it looks like direct drop doesn't work in DOS Lemmings 2. :( The Space exit is 32 pixels wide, and I believe the trigger area is the 2 pixels at the bottom center (x=15 and x=16, taking x=0 to be leftmost column of pixels of the exit object).  Setting up the fall accordingly to happen at the desired x locations, the lemming immediately exits upon landing with a low fall, but splats and dies upon landing with a high fall.

I suppose to be absolutely thorough I should test out a few other x's for falling, just in case I'm wrong about the exit trigger area's location (though that level isn't exactly ideal for that).  But until someone manages to come up with a different finding for DOS Lemmings 2, I don't think direct drop works in that version.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #51 on: March 13, 2010, 06:56:54 PM »
DOS version again: When you start a level, if you press ESC to restart even before the tribe's music has begun to play, the music will never play during any retry. This bug makes sense, because subsequent retries never pause nor restart the music that should be playing all along.

If you visit the results screen, the music will play normally again when playing the same or a different level.

-- Simon

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 26, 2010, 06:59:20 AM »
  • Miner crossing 1-pixel gaps - not yet tested.  1-pixel gaps may be hard to come by in Lemmings 2 anyway, now that terrain has to be aligned to tile boundaries rather than on arbitrary pixels.  Creating the setup to test this will probably require doing something annoying like stacking builders.

I just noticed that scoopers can come out quite a way (maybe 4 pixels) from a wall after they finish digging through it. So I guess there's a good chance it will work with miners too (to a lesser extent of course).

Still haven't tested with miners (although when it comes to Lemmings 2 graphics, 1-pixel gaps are kinda hard to come by in the first place).  But I just ran into an example of the "gap skipping" behavior with the scooper on Cavelem 4.  See attached screenshots.

Arguably one can say it's a quirk rather than a glitch, because when you look at the scooper's animation, it clearly looks like he hops down from one step to the next rather than walking down it, so it's not unreasonable that it only falls based on the exact pixel it hops to rather than all the in-between ones.  One can make a similar argument for miner, although I think in that case while it does a little hop down the first step, the movement onto the second step does look more like walking.

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 26, 2010, 07:54:55 AM »
Ah, I had actually wondered whether that'd be possible in Cavelem 4, but I didn't find the correct starting point.

I don't know why I didn't post them before, but I got screenshots of some miner tests (you don't need to stack builders to create such a setup as you can use...well...stackers :P). Passing 1-pixel gaps seems to work consistently (i.e. not just for the first stroke) if the position relative to the gap modulo 2 fits.
Also another miner glitch carries over from L1, though not as consistently, as the vertical distance from the starting of the miner to the gap has to be an odd number of pixels, see screenshot below.

I also encountered (in Medieval practice), but couldn't reproduce, a very weird glitch, where the game got paused, yet I could select between the normal cursor and the wind wheel, and could even charge the latter. However it was not possible to unpause, and neither was scrolling.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 05, 2010, 12:23:29 PM »
Discovered this glitch while, of all things, trying to get a particular screenshot for geoo's "diver test" level:

One nice thing about DOS Lemmings 2 is a rudimentary ability to frame-step.  This is basically done by pressing Spacebar and followed quickly by P.  The Spacebar turns on fan mode (and more importantly, unpause), while P of course pauses.  If the two keys are pressed quickly enough (like if you roll your fingers across those 2 keys), you can advance the game by exactly one frame.  Sometimes you might get 2 frames if you're not quite quick enough, but that's still not bad.  [I used this ability extensively for my min-skill Highland 4 solution btw.]

I just discovered that if you advance by one frame this way, it seems to prevent the explosion countdown from happening for that frame.  So doing this enough times you can delay, for seemingly as long as you can manage it, a lemming assigned exploder from exploding.  It's possible that the mere act of pausing or unpausing also causes this, but in any event, the effect is most dramatically seen when you do this frame-step move repeatedly.

For the most part this is more a nuisance than useful, since it throws off the timing you intended for the exploder (and typically if you needed the lemming to explode later, you would've assigned him exploder later).  One rare situation where this might be helpful is if you can't assign the lemming exploder at the intended time because of other lemmings in the same area getting priority for selection, or if you needed to assign some other skill to that lemming at the very same frame you wanted to assign him exploder.  This glitch theoretically allows you to assign exploder to that lemming at a slightly earlier time and still have it explode at the desired position.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 11, 2010, 10:24:45 AM »
It appears frame-stepping (or maybe just frequently pausing) can throw off the timing of more than just exploders.  I just discovered a similar effect with the dragon trap in Medieval 9, where if you frame-step you can get a walker to survive going through the dragon!  Basically it looks like when you frame-step, the portion of the dragon's animation of its head rising up, that part ends up going slower than if you let the sequence run unpaused, apparently enough to let the lemming be out of the danger zone by the time the dragon actually fires.  I've attached a DOSBox video showing this.  The frame-stepping does not have to be perfect (ie. it's okay if you step through 2 frames instead of 1 every now and then) for the result.

But it gets weirder, as the video shows.  I'm still unable to figure out the exact conditions triggering it, but it seems with some particular combination of timing for pausing and unpausing while approaching and getting through the dragon zone, you may be able to get the dragon into a totally glitched state. :o The telltale sign of this state is that the dragon's head disappears completely, not even the tiny bit of green you normally see poking out during its hiding state.  The dragon will be completely confused, mostly not popping up at all while multiple lemmings walk straight past, except every now and then, only to fire consistently at wrong moments that causes no one harm.  Again, I have no clue at this point how exactly you can trigger this condition, but I've done it about 4 times now, including 2 times where I'm not even really frame-stepping, just pausing and unpausing maybe 3-4 times with only a single lemming getting through.

Even without the totally glitched state, the frame-stepping trick itself is more than sufficient to get the entire crowd in Medieval 9 to bypass the dragon, providing the lemmings are spaced the same as they come out of the entrance and your fingers don't fall off by then. ;P

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 19, 2010, 01:02:56 AM »
Some weird stuff with Superlem and trampolines. I have attached a zip with videos showing the following quirks:

1. If you assign the Superlem skill to a lemming below a trampoline and hold the cursor just below the trampoline, then when the lemming hits the cursor, instead of striking its pose it bounces on the trampoline.

2. If you do the same thing with the cursor a little lower, the lemming starts doing the Superlem pose, but when it reaches the level of the trampoline it suddenly stops and tumbles down.

3. Here it gets really strange. If there is a lemming in mid-jump from the trampoline, doing the above will cause the superlem to teleport to the position of the jumping lemming and tumble down from there.

A couple of other things to note:

- The superlem has to be facing to the left for these glitches to work. If the cursor is directly above the superlem, it faces right (even if it was walking to the left), so it has to actually be flying to the left to trigger the glitch.
- There must be some terrain to the left of the trampoline. I tried mirroring the setup in the videos and didn't observe any glitch behaviour.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 28, 2010, 12:48:36 PM »
I've just found another Lemmings 2 trap that succumbs to the Medieval dragon framestepping effect.  Though in a much more dramatic, shocking fashion......

The trap? :drumroll: The bouncing tennis ball of death in the Sports tribe.

But whereas the Medieval dragon merely slows down by half during framestepping, the effect on the ball is much more stunning--literally:  the ball freezes completely while you are framestepping! :o

This is awesome because if you are observant, you'll find that the ball doesn't actually kill on every frame.  It basically only kills on one or a few frames in its animation cycle, namely at a point where it's going down and at the height where it starts touching the hair of a lemming standing below at ground level.  So you can simply pause the game when the ball is at a nonlethal frame, and then frame-step repeatedly to hold the ball in place while allowing lemmings to walk past the ball harmlessly!

Unfortunately, even the most reliable technique discovered to date for framestepping is still not foolproof.  Because even with DOSBox's keymapper help, the game may still unpause during framestepping once in a blue moon.  This is of course catastrophic for this glitch, since the ball bounces so fast, unless you have lightning reflexes such an accident will probably make the ball kill a lemming.  So until I found a way to do framestepping absolutely flawlessly, I'm finding that I still need to apply some additional techniques (typically minimizing the time lemmings spent in the ball's death zone) in order to feasibly carry out Sports 1 and Sports 5 solutions that take advantage of this glitch.  Some other solutions theoretically possible with the glitch alas still remains very difficult to successfully execute, until I have a method for framestepping that never fails.

Also, even when the framestepping works, I'm finding that when you do this long enough, once every so often the ball will still advance by one frame anyway.  The timing when that happens seems to be pretty random and unpredictable.  In fact, I've found that if you framestep enough times, multiple balls can actually become out-of-sync with each other! :o Which again poses complications in certain levels where you may want to frame-step through multiple balls at the same time, like Sports 1. :XD:

For video demonstrations of this glitch, check out my DOSBox video for new challenge solutions to Sports 1 and Sports 5 (to be uploaded).

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 08, 2010, 02:12:33 AM »
I just took a bite out of the trapdoor in Classic 5 with a miner :o. The side of the trapdoor that gets mined appears to close up slightly as well. It seems to be caused by fast-forwarding while the trapdoor opens. Pic attached.
EDIT: further testing. You can build up to the entrance and do even more damage to it...

Also attached are screenshots of a bug I found ages ago but never took screenshots of (:-[). With multiple knockback explosions (here I used the nuke, but well-timed exploders should work) you can force lemmings up through steel.

Offline Lemmy556

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 08, 2010, 07:41:44 AM »
There is also a few glitches on console versions.

SNES:
1. Two rope gliches.

2. Its possible go past little walls by using enough jumpers

3. One of the pits at classic 7 isnĀ“t working(when lemmings gets there it just keeps walking

4. Ballooners gets stucked to walls

Genesis:
1.Skiers were added, but the skill wont work.

2.When you play practise level first time(before playing any tribes), take your skills including attractor.
Take one of the levels and use attractor, if you notice attractor will be the Beach one. Now, end    practising and play classic tribe. After bit of playing go back to practise mode. Pick attractor andother   skills. AS you know, classic lemmings doesnt have attractor animation and see what you got when you use it.

3.You can climb out of screen without killing lemmings. This makes Classic 5 and Highland 10 easy to save all.

4.Give stacker skill to lemming. Then give a skiil that says with lemming a rest of level(like rock climber). If lemming was walking to right, this makes it possible to turn around.

5. Attractor glitch, just bash some ground where attractor is playing, attractor will stop, but other lemmings will keep dancing.

Gameboy:

1. Take scooper, scoop a bit and take ballooner: Animation glitch

2. Give floater skills to lemmings. Use bazooka(or any other blowing skills) Floater chances to parachute skill

3.Let one lemming go to cannon. If there is any lemmings near of the cannon when it blows up, cannon will blow all the lemmings near of it too.

4. Sometimes there is problems with exits(showing animation wrong)

Thats enough for now