Author Topic: Lemmings 2 glitches  (Read 40855 times)

Offline LemSteven

• View Profile
Re: Lemmings 2 glitches
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2009, 12:26:49 AM »
I've run into a rather annoying glitch a few times that's worth mentioning:

Sometimes when a lemming uses a cannon, the cannon goes off before the lemming gets all the way inside, and he gets stuck in there until another lemming comes and uses the cannon.  Then both lemmings are launched together.

I find the glitch to be extremely annoying because you can end up with two lemmings stuck together when you think there's only one.  Or worse yet, if the last lemming to use the cannon gets stuck, you can be left with no way to save him.

The glitch has a tendency to happen if the game is paused after a lemming lights the fuse, but before he climbs in the cannon.

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2009, 09:29:49 PM »
You can save a lemming that falls from a great height by catching it in an explosion. It looks like the fall distance "resets" when a lemming gets knocked away. But there's a twist - you can still save the lemming after it has started the splat animation. The attached pics show:
1) A splatting lemming, with a bomber about to go off next to it.
2) The same lemmings after being flung away by the explosion. (The lemming climbing onto the catapult gets knocked away too.)

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2009, 09:42:57 PM »
Intriguing.  So it sounds like there's a very good chance that direct-drop-to-exit would work in Lemmings 2.  As soon as I have the time I'll need to fire up the existing custom-level tools for L2 to test that out.

Offline Pooty

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2009, 10:48:13 PM »
I know direct drop works on the SNES version of Lemmings 2 because that was how I solved Sports 8 with 9 skills (although your accuracy needed to be precise to the very pixel). It could work here, too.
SEGA Master System version
100% on 110/120 levels (92%). Other levels [Lemmings lost]:
Fun 03 [3], 06 [2], 18 [5]   
Taxing 19 [5], 27 [1], 28 [3]
Tricky 15 [5], 17 [2]
Mayhem 19 [7], 26 [10]

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2009, 02:30:24 AM »
Technically not a glitch, but...

I just noticed that the title to Egypt level 2 is not "Glued to the Goal!" but "G1ued to the Goal!"

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2009, 02:37:18 AM »
I just noticed that the title to Egypt level 2 is not "Glued to the Goal!" but "G1ued to the Goal!"

Huh.  Given that the letter L and the number 1 are nowhere near each other on the keyboard, I have to wonder if they actually did it on purpose.  I mean, I can see the "5 miles" on the L1 Genesis port coming from a Japanese misreading, but clearly that wouldn't be the case for L2 DOS.

That, or maybe it's one of those dylexia-like disorders on the part of whoever designed the level, causing him to never realize the typo, and it's too subtle I guess for other people to have noticed.

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
    • Leafwing Studios Website (EXTREMELY OUTDATED)
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2009, 05:59:47 PM »
How did no one notice that?

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2009, 11:24:21 PM »
1 and l look pretty much identical in the L2 font (the "1" is just a slightly bigger "l"). I found this while looking through the levels in GP's editor, which uses a different font.

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2009, 02:16:03 AM »
I still find that funny.

G1ued to the Goal?  Are they serious?

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2009, 06:49:22 AM »
They are. They are so serious that all the L2 walkthroughs need to be updated because of the change. I can't do that. :XD:

Er... Are there any glitches involving the ballooner? I don't have the editor but I was thinking this: If a lemming gets stuck in a small wall and is given a ballooner skill, what would happen next?
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Neolemmix: #1 #4 #5 #6
Lix: #2  #7
Both Engines: #3

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2009, 01:54:31 AM »
Lame drawing, I know (I suck at MS Paint).  It's supposed to be the balloon popping.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2009, 02:29:33 AM »
Er... Are there any glitches involving the ballooner? I don't have the editor but I was thinking this: If a lemming gets stuck in a small wall and is given a ballooner skill, what would happen next?

<trying very hard to stiffle uncontrollable laughter at Dullstar's artwork...... ;P>

ah-hem...'cuse me.  Right, ballooner.

I haven't tried it but logic would dictate that the balloon would burst immediately.  The other (less) likely possibility is that the balloon somehow doesn't burst (maybe because it only bursts if the lemming has actually moved up), but the lemming doesn't go anywhere either.

One thing I can confirm is that, courtesy of GuyPerfect's custom Beach level, you can get a ballooner lemming "snagged" on some terrain so that he can't move up, but the balloon itself is not touching anything so it doesn't burst.  I don't see any part of that as glitchy though.

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2009, 07:33:27 AM »
I half understand what you're saying...

I'll tell you what, I'll give you a simple lemmings level as an example to show you what I mean. I am now permitted to get the L2 editor now as I sent GP a message, so no complaints anymore.

I was guessing 3 possible outcomes when a lemming gets stuck inside an 8 pixel high wall:

1: The balloon would stay there and not move the lemming upwards.
2: The balloon would fly to the ceiling.
3: It would burst during the blow up.
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Neolemmix: #1 #4 #5 #6
Lix: #2  #7
Both Engines: #3

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2009, 09:36:05 PM »
I can draw better than that, but on quick diagrams, etc., I just make something that gets the point across, no matter how ugly it is.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2009, 09:48:58 PM »
I half understand what you're saying...

<snip>I was guessing 3 possible outcomes when a lemming gets stuck inside an 8 pixel high wall:

1: The balloon would stay there and not move the lemming upwards.
2: The balloon would fly to the ceiling.
3: It would burst during the blow up.

I was suggesting #3 as most likely, follow by #1.  I've never seen the balloon separating from the lemming so I would be extremely surprised if #2 happens.