Author Topic: What skills can't you live without?  (Read 104731 times)

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
Re: What skills can't you live without?
« Reply #240 on: October 23, 2011, 05:37:45 PM »
Here's a no-basher solution for Taxing 17.  I even got it save 100% to help with minimac's latest challenge topic.

Some preliminary testing also suggests that no-builder might be plausible, but it'll take a little more time for me to work it out for real.

Quote from: spoiler
It is possible to gain a walkable height of 9 pixels via the following skills: basher, bomber, miner, climber, bomber.  Use this in two places, and then for each place, make up for rest of needed height via other means.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #241 on: October 24, 2011, 11:18:54 AM »
Some preliminary testing also suggests that no-builder might be plausible

Confirmed!  So Taxing 17 down to none finally.

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: October 28, 2011, 02:57:49 AM »
Fun 28 improved to 4 builders. Sadly, 100% doesn't seem likely, since the key builder-saving move involves using a basher or miner on a bridge in progress, and either way it looks like that lemming is toast (literally :P) due to the lava below.

It is possible, with better timing, to make the miner glitch-cross the gap into the pillar, but that leaves a gap in the bridge, which presents its own problems. But still, that's probably the only hope of 100% here.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #243 on: October 28, 2011, 03:28:04 AM »
Fun 28 improved to 4 builders. Sadly, 100% doesn't seem likely, since the key builder-saving move involves using a basher or miner on a bridge in progress, and either way it looks like that lemming is toast (literally :P) due to the lava below.

It is possible, with better timing, to make the miner glitch-cross the gap into the pillar, but that leaves a gap in the bridge, which presents its own problems. But still, that's probably the only hope of 100% here.

Hmm okay, is it fair then to say at least that 100% is possible (with suitable confirmation from you) with 5 builders then?  Given that the normal "build to exit" needs 6 this would still be an improvement.

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: October 28, 2011, 04:29:32 AM »
Good point ;)

And, predictably, the answer is yes.

Offline finlay

• View Profile
« Reply #245 on: October 29, 2011, 02:47:15 PM »
How do you do Mayhem 21 with 21 floaters?

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #246 on: October 29, 2011, 03:04:59 PM »
another of Clam's awesome (and glitch-free in this case) ideas: http://www.lemmingsforums.com/index.php?topic=98.msg1821#msg1821

It's also fair to say that there's a bit of optical illusion at work here, as the fall's not really that far away from a safe fall as it might look.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #247 on: August 10, 2012, 09:10:02 PM »
Frost 6 improved to 1 blocker, 4 builders, thanks to a rather straightforward solution found as part of this challenge.  (See this post for attached replay.)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #248 on: September 25, 2013, 06:22:19 AM »
To revisit an oldie...

Tricky
18: 1 bomber, 1 digger

Replay without using the bomber attached. =)
Doesn't acheive 100% (you need both builders to delay the crowd until the fall is safe, thus leaving you with no way to stop the digger), but hey. Still one less skill required. =P
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Online Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #249 on: September 25, 2013, 08:13:51 PM »
Awesome!!!

I've amended the totals, and added this to "skills needed for max%" as well.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #250 on: September 25, 2013, 09:50:07 PM »
Cool, and a new(?) clever technique for use in custom levels as well. :thumbsup: I love how there's still something new to learn after so many years.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #251 on: September 26, 2013, 04:08:00 AM »
Not entirely new - the trick (or rather, a very similar one) is used in the intended solution to "A Perfect Nightmare" from LP DOS. However, there's also a backroute, somewhat negating it. xD
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline LemSteven

• View Profile
« Reply #252 on: November 07, 2013, 06:44:26 AM »
I found another improvement (and another example of challenge threads feeding off of each other)  8)

Wicked 17: 4 builders.

Quote from: spoiler
The first lemming builds as soon as he lands, and the second climbs and builds up ahead, such that he lands on the platform above the right exit.  Meanwhile the third and fourth lemmings build such that they reach the post on the right, but don't turn around.  Three lemmings will reach the post before the bridge is done, so they all climb up.  If the rightmost bridge is placed properly, none of the climbers will fall short of the platform above the exit.  One final blocker turns everyone around by the exit.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #253 on: November 10, 2013, 03:37:38 PM »
Yep, cross-pollination from other challenges has lead me to improve Havoc 13 down to 2 builders via sliding.

Offline Luis

• View Profile
« Reply #254 on: February 10, 2014, 04:21:18 AM »
I startled doing this challenge with those 36 levels from the PSP version. I need to update the Lemmix version of Dig Down, Bash Across, for it to be more similar to the real one. There's a chain that you can dig down to reach the bottom without basher. You can already do that but in a different and longer way. I just wanted to let everyone know why it's been updated yet again. At first it wasn't needed if you're playing the level normally but for this challenge, it's necessary. I tried reading posts to understand how the challenge works.

Mr. Lemmings PSP user.