Author Topic: What skills can't you live without?  (Read 104785 times)

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
Re: What skills can't you live without?
« Reply #225 on: October 11, 2011, 11:36:18 PM »
Neat! :thumbsup: It's also rare to find humor on the challenge threads, yet something about the frantic bashing next to the builder inspires both awe and giggles from me at the same time. :D :-\  Must think about making use of this in a custom level one of these days.

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: October 12, 2011, 06:11:28 AM »
And yet another improvement: I found a way to complete Wild 14 with no builders, which means the result for this level is none.

Curiously, all of these last three levels were originally posted here by me, without replays, and haven't been mentioned by anyone else in this topic. So, if you want to find some potentially improvable scores, you know where to look ;)

No-bashers is replay-worthy too, attached.

EDIT: And another one! Crazy 15 improved to 2 builders.

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #227 on: October 12, 2011, 10:06:20 AM »
And here's Wicked 8 with 1 climber (the previous result included 2 climbers).

That's 8 skills off in just over a week :o. I suppose given the nature of this challenge (essentially combining all challenges of the form "solve this level with at most x of skill y"), it was inevitable that we'd miss a lot on the first run through. Just goes to show, the old challenge threads are still very much alive, and it's good to see challenges in general are active again 8).

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #228 on: October 12, 2011, 01:25:52 PM »
Just goes to show, the old challenge threads are still very much alive, and it's good to see challenges in general are active again 8).

I'll be the first to admit you're the star of the Lemmings 1 and ONML challenge threads here, no questions about it.  So basically it'll be alive whenever you feel like it and aren't distracted by such things as Minecraft or what not. ;P  (And a scary earthquake every now and then...  :XD:)

---------------------

And now, to fill my role as "minor incremental improver of Clam's brilliant solutions": ;)

I found a 3-builder solution to Crazy 8. I've tried various ways of saving another builder, and also the basher, but no success on those so far.

To complement your success with the basher, I am able to save another builder from your solution by not having to waste a blocker, so that the final basher is stopped with a blocker (with very careful field alignment, otherwise the lemmings get pushed too far right and can't slide) instead of a builder.  So down to 2 builders now.

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #229 on: October 12, 2011, 08:01:55 PM »
I'll be the first to admit you're the star of the Lemmings 1 and ONML challenge threads here, no questions about it.

Hah, I'd have said the same about you. We're both way too modest :D

As for challenge activity, I don't want to feel like I'm running the whole challenges section by myself (or the forum as a whole, for that matter). For one thing, you've already seen how one person (even if he is a "star") can miss possible improvements to challenge scores. It also keeps me from spending too much time on Lemmings when I should be doing something else :P. So, I don't consider the challenges active unless other people are participating too.

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #230 on: October 12, 2011, 11:54:06 PM »
edit: post removed, reported Mayhem 18 with 6 builders.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #231 on: October 13, 2011, 01:20:16 AM »
I revisited Mayhem 18 (previous result: 8 builders), and found a solution using only 6 builders. This is definitely a must-see, and like Wild 17 no-bashers it only barely works with the available skills and % requirement.

Hmm, I must be missing something here, I would've thought you could be more builder-efficient if you bomb away the wall separating the two lower groups?  Guess I need to study the solution more carefully to see whether it works or why it won't.

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #232 on: October 13, 2011, 01:42:08 AM »
Never crossed my mind. :-[

edit: Fine, my day is ruined. Go on and finish it, I have other things I need to do.

/ragequit

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #233 on: October 13, 2011, 02:37:21 AM »
 :D :XD: :-\

Well, I guess I can work on something else and come back to this later, if you haven't decided to redeem yourself by then.  Or maybe someone else will take a pass at it for a change?

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #234 on: October 13, 2011, 08:15:12 AM »
/un-ragequit

All right, I couldn't stay away from it. :XD:

Mayhem 18 improved to 3 builders.

As it turns out, most of the tricks I figured out for the earlier solution came into play again. Which is to be expected, I guess :-\. Just goes to show, a small oversight can make a huge difference. And, as I alluded to above, this is why it's not good to be doing the challenges all by yourself; another set of eyes really helps :)
All in all, I'd say this was a top-class collaborative effort (:

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #235 on: October 14, 2011, 06:56:11 AM »
I had another run through the holiday '93 levels, and saved another 5 skills :)

Flurry 10 improved to 3 builders (was 4), by devising a method of scaling the awkward exit platform with no builders.
Blitz 1 improved to 3 builders (again, was 4). This is another one from the 'how has no one managed to improve on my score by now?' file, not even replay-worthy (but included it anyway ;))
Blitz 6 improved to none (previously 1 basher, now done away with :))
Blitz 15 improved to 8 climbers (was 9), 1 floater, 1 bomber, 1 basher.
Blitz 16 improved to 1 bomber (was 2), 1 builder, 1 basher.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #236 on: October 14, 2011, 12:26:33 PM »
Typical of the cross-pollination between this topic and the "fewest skill types" topic, my work there on Blitz 2 has just eliminated the digger.

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #237 on: October 16, 2011, 03:05:21 AM »
Hail 3 sux improved to 9 builders, with a bit of miner glitching to duck under the top of the map.
Hail 5 improved to 6 floaters 6 builders, surprisingly simple actually.
Hail 7 has already been reported at 14 skills total , but currently reads 15 builders here. Sadly there's no replay in that thread, and I can't reproduce it right now, but I did manage it with 14 builders + climber, which is good enough for this challenge.
Hail 8 is possibly doable with 5 builders instrad of 6, but would take some extreme releaserate jiggery-pokery that I can't be bothered with right now.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #238 on: October 16, 2011, 07:12:56 PM »
Havoc 17 reduced to 2 builders.  This one needs a bit of "releaserate jiggery-pokery" to work. ;)

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #239 on: October 16, 2011, 09:14:45 PM »
Confirmed Hail 8 with 5 builders. Turns out I didn't need to play around with the release rate after all (besides the obligatory switch to RR99).