Author Topic: What skills can't you live without?  (Read 104727 times)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: What skills can't you live without?
« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2009, 10:23:00 AM »
...couldn't you mine it? And then seperately avoid the climber by going underneath it?
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2009, 10:23:11 AM »
Let's take a quick step back to Fun 15, which can be done with 4 builders (plus other skills).  (zip file includes Lemmix replay and a screenshot of the final result)

[edit: forgot to add screenshot to zip file, fixed now]

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 13, 2009, 10:39:42 AM »
...couldn't you mine it? And then seperately avoid the climber by going underneath it?

Oh yes, I was thinking the miner would go too low, but you can release the crowd by digging into the mine tunnel. As for avoiding the climber, the terrain is higher on the other side but you can bash all the way out and get back up with builders and a blocker  :thumbsup:

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 13, 2009, 12:32:58 PM »
Tricky 23

EDIT: Or maybe not. It can be done without the miner.  Thanks Proxima.

Tricky 23: 1 Climber, 1 Builder, 1 Basher, 1 Digger

I finally got a solution that doesn't use the digger, so Tricky 23 is now 1 climber, 1 builder, 1 basher.

Replay attached.  No screenshots because it won't help.  Below's an English explanation:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 14, 2020, 05:42:53 PM by Minim »

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 13, 2009, 01:59:01 PM »
Fun 23: Possibly builders and/or bashers?
I think it might be possible to eliminate each (in separate solutions) using multiple Tame 20's

Confirmed.  And actually you just need to use Tame 20 once in each solution.  And since the level can be solved with only bashers and builders, the final result for Fun 23 is "none".
« Last Edit: May 14, 2020, 05:46:12 PM by Minim »

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 13, 2009, 03:55:06 PM »
Fun 16 can be done with 5 builders, replay attached.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2020, 05:09:31 PM by Minim »
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Neolemmix: #1 #4 #5 #6
Lix: #2  #7
Both Engines: #3

Offline Pooty

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 13, 2009, 04:22:07 PM »
Nice one, minimac. That was really good. :thumbsup:

And ccexplore, I saw your screenshots first before your solution. I can't remember the last time i've been so confused. They are really good solutions there. Top stuff. :thumbsup:
SEGA Master System version
100% on 110/120 levels (92%). Other levels [Lemmings lost]:
Fun 03 [3], 06 [2], 18 [5]   
Taxing 19 [5], 27 [1], 28 [3]
Tricky 15 [5], 17 [2]
Mayhem 19 [7], 26 [10]

Offline LemSteven

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 13, 2009, 08:33:21 PM »
I've been searching for a way to get Fun 16 down to four builders, but so far I've had no luck.  A simple "Tame 20 glitch + nuke glitch" solution looks like it comes a few lemmings short, and with the exit right on top of that pillar, there's very little space to create a path upwards for the crowd.  But I wouldn't rule out some sort of "Tame 13-like" solution...

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 13, 2009, 09:32:32 PM »
Let's take a quick step back to Fun 15, which can be done with 4 builders (plus other skills).  (zip file includes Lemmix replay and a screenshot of the final result)

[edit: forgot to add screenshot to zip file, fixed now]
With a bit of lateral (or is that vertical?) thinking, this level can be done with just 2 builders. And with 100% saved 8-)

Fun 16 can be done with 5 builders, replay attached.
Expertly done. I must say, I'm impressed :thumbsup:

EDIT: Tricky 27: 2 builders. All other skills can be avoided.

In the challenge thread (on this forum, I think) I did this with one builder.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2020, 05:52:08 PM by Minim »

Offline LemSteven

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 13, 2009, 09:58:59 PM »
Update on Fun 16:

Four builders is now verified!!!   8)

I ended up getting the Tame 20 glitch + nuke glitch combination to work by optimizing the method.

It takes four builders to reach the platform under the exit, where the Tame 20 glitch is executed.  The trouble is you only have 20 climbers, which means you can only save 20 lemmings using the Tame 20 glitch.  This means you have to nuke before the 33rd lemming comes out of the entrance in order to get the required percentage.  But of course, you can't nuke until your 20 climbers are within five seconds of the exit.  With the given layout of the level, by the time you get 20 lemmings trapped in the pillar and release the blocker, there are already 29 or 30 lemmings out, and the climbers won't reach the exit in time.

Quote from: Spoiler
The key is to bash through the four spikes so that the lemmings don't waste precious time climbing up and down each one of them.  This allows the blocker to be freed a tad earlier.  If you assign your 20 climbers in rapid succession and then nuke right before the 33rd lemming comes out, the last climber will reach the exit just before he explodes.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 14, 2009, 12:15:45 AM »
Tricky 13 only needs 3 builders.  Seems like a bunch of people overlooked something.

Quote from: Spoiler/hint
Use various steel destruction glitches to dramatically lower the right edge of the steel block you land on from the trapdoor.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 14, 2009, 03:02:37 AM »
Tricky
8: 10 builders

Another overlooked one.  It's 9 builders.  You definitely don't need a replay for this. ;)

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 14, 2009, 03:09:43 AM »
Fun 19 doesn't need 4 builders, it can be done with 2:

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 14, 2009, 03:59:23 AM »
Tricky
8: 10 builders
Another overlooked one.  It's 9 builders.  You definitely don't need a replay for this. ;)

Ah - you've missed something too. It might take a replay to convince you that it's possible with just 8 builders :P

I'll suggest a starting point of 8 builders for Tricky 14, just so we can get a total there (which I will add in shortly).
« Last Edit: May 15, 2020, 09:19:28 AM by Minim »

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 14, 2009, 04:14:46 AM »
Ah - you've missed something too. It might take a replay to convince you that it's possible with just 8 builders :P

Very nice. :thumbsup: I actually started with a solution where I used a blocker to allow everyone to pass through the thin wall on the left at the bottom, but I had to use an extra builder to build over the blocker so it was 9 not 8, and 9 of course can be done quite normally.  I thought about the location you used in your solution for blocking but again, I forgot that I could just compress the crowd instead of building over the blocker.