Author Topic: Oh No! More Lemmings - Level Reviews  (Read 51880 times)

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
Re: Oh No! More Lemmings - Level Reviews
« Reply #105 on: April 23, 2011, 06:32:28 AM »
Wicked 12 - Suicidal Tendencies

Lemmings: 80
Save: 78 (97%)
Release rate: 60
Time: 4 minutes
Skills: 2 bombers, 2 blockers, 7 builders, 1 miner

Good: Nice decoration. The tiny gaps between platforms make you use the builders carefully, without being too demanding in terms of placement.

Bad: Another hero level, and too linear.

Offline Gronkling

• View Profile
« Reply #106 on: October 15, 2011, 10:12:13 PM »
Bump.   :)

Wicked 13: Almost Nearly Virtual Reality

Number of lemmings: 80
Save 87%
Skills: 5/6/2/6/25/5/0/7
Time: 4:00
Release rate: 1

Good: You have to use the chains creatively.
Bad: Too much building and boring hero lemmings! The terrain is boring and there is too much steel which is floating and overlapping in some places and the title is random and bears no resemblance to the actual level.

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: October 16, 2011, 01:18:06 AM »
Wicked 14 - The Lemming Learning Curve

Lemmings: 80
Save: 79 (98%)
Time: 3 minutes
Skills: 2 climbers, 1 bomber, 2 blockers, 3 builders, 3 bashers, 3 miners

Good: Nice decoration (and a pseudo-ceiling route :D) with the chains and girders.

Bad: Either a horrific backroute, or just way too easy. But then, if that is a backroute, then one has to wonder what the actual solution is ???

Offline Gronkling

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: October 16, 2011, 04:30:27 PM »
Wicked 15: SPAM, SPAM, SPAM, EGG AND LEMMING

Number of lemmings: 50
Save 80%
Skills: 1/1/1/2/20/3/2/0

Good: You actually have to think about how to do the beginning.
Bad: After the first bit its just regular, old, mass building hero lemming stuff again. Also the scenery doesn't fit together well in some places.

Offline DoubleU

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: November 22, 2011, 09:52:19 PM »
Although the backroute [of Crazy 1?] makes it easy enough for its position again....
You don't mean the way Wicked 8 "A TOWERING PROBLEM" is solved, with exploding climbers, do you?  I was never successful with that.

And re Wicked levels 1 & 2, I guess there's no pleasing some people, is there.  The funny capitalization is cool, and the typo, being rare and unobtrusive, is nothing bad; if anything, it's as cool as the last one, seeing as how it could be symbolic by meaning that there is a shortage on 't', or time.

At the same time, I disagree with the glitch backroute to Wicked 1.  There's no conceivable reason why you should be able to bash steel and one-way together, it's not even possible on the Mac, and it's not necessary on any platform.

Offline finlay

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: November 22, 2011, 11:59:07 PM »
Although the backroute [of Crazy 1?] makes it easy enough for its position again....
You don't mean the way Wicked 8 "A TOWERING PROBLEM" is solved, with exploding climbers, do you?  I was never successful with that.

And re Wicked levels 1 & 2, I guess there's no pleasing some people, is there.  The funny capitalization is cool, and the typo, being rare and unobtrusive, is nothing bad; if anything, it's as cool as the last one, seeing as how it could be symbolic by meaning that there is a shortage on 't', or time.

At the same time, I disagree with the glitch backroute to Wicked 1.  There's no conceivable reason why you should be able to bash steel and one-way together, it's not even possible on the Mac, and it's not necessary on any platform.
What do you mean, you disagree? That's... how it happens. It's obviously not necessary, otherwise there'd be levels designed that took it into account. And congratulations on finding out that different platforms work differently.

(To be fair, I still find it annoying that things can be a lot easier on the DOS version than they are on the Mac – the Mac version has various graphical glitches (like Mayhem 26 or Havoc 16) that make things harder, for one thing; the DOS version has several levels that have a lower goal than the Mac or Amiga versions (Taxing 22, Mayhem 4, Mayhem 15, Mayhem 26 for example); and it's very difficult to accurately predict what will happen when a lemming hits something on the Mac version, like whether it will climb up the side of something or not, due to the fact that it's trying to map larger pixels onto the smaller ones in the actual graphics. They are much nicer graphics, though. And yeah, there are various things that are programmed differently, like steel detection, bashing, symmetrical builders, etc...)

Anyway, the point of these topics is to bitch and moan about levels you don't like, and come up with good and bad things for each of them.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: November 23, 2011, 12:49:12 AM »
And re Wicked levels 1 & 2, I guess there's no pleasing some people, is there.

Sorry, "pleasing" is not the point of these types of topic.  If everyone were to argue over the details of each and every review, these threads will quickly be mired into a grinding halt.  It is implicitly understood that each review is simply the opinions of the poster, and that just because no one says anything doesn't mean everyone agrees to the review.

I'm sure I can find something to disagree with over half the reviews posted and in fact, I don't pay too much attention or participate much in them in general as they are of little value at this point beyond entertainment (it's not like you're going to make recommendatations to a friend based on the reviews like you would with a new movie, and I've already played through most of the levels reviewed so it's not like I'm going to skip a level or something).  I don't mind seeing occasional scabbles on the reviews being posted on these sorts of threads, but I can't help feeling like I'm going to see a rebuttal of every review posted coming from you.  If you really feel so compelled please do so at your own forums or webpages.

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: November 23, 2011, 01:36:02 AM »
On with the reviews!

Wicked 16 - Five Alive

Lemmings: 6
Save: 5 (83%)
Release rate: 75
Time: 1 minute
Skills: 1 climbers, 2 floaters, 1 bomber, 1 builder, 1 miner

Good: Quick level, a few different ways to go about it. 5 of 6 is totally unique.

Bad: The puzzle doesn't seem very well fleshed out, especially this late in the game. The steel areas overlap the brick terrain way too much, so you can't mine where it looks like you should be able to.

Offline Gronkling

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: November 23, 2011, 09:47:26 PM »
Wicked 17: Down the Tube

Number of lemmings: 30
Save 96%
Skills: 5/0/1/2/7/0/0/0
Time: 3:00
Release rate: 10

Good: Builders aren't overused too much and the symmetrical design looks quite nice.
Bad: The solution is rather clunky and inelegant and the pipes with no ends or overlapping look a bit ugly, especially the floating ones. Also the exits are different lengths away from the main level, stopping the symmetry being as nice as it could.

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #114 on: December 04, 2011, 07:20:28 AM »
Wicked 18: lOTs mORe WhEre THeY caMe fRom

Number of lemmings: 60
Save: 50 (83%)
Skills: 2 climbers, 2 floaters, 42 bombers (?!), 26 builders, 3 miners

Good: Might be interesting how to trap the lemmings. It's in the right difficulty level, making the level harder by dropping the bashers.
Bad: Has a hidden trap near the middle of the cave, and the 42 bombers are unnecessary considering the high percentage requirement. Poorly planned and can be tedious. Walking on spikes can be quite a painful experience. :P
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Neolemmix: #1 #4 #5 #6
Lix: #2  #7
Both Engines: #3

Offline finlay

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: December 04, 2011, 03:12:11 PM »
Wicked 18 has a "high road" solution too, just in case you hadn't realised. The bits on top are arranged so that you can get through with the 3 miners. I reckon they thought people wouldn't bother with the "low road", but in fact it's easier than the "high road", because there are no blockers, so you're going to have to find a way to trap the lemmings in the lower spiky section anyway.

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #116 on: December 06, 2011, 08:59:57 AM »
Wicked 19 - Up, Down or Round and Round

Lemmings: 50
Save: 41 (82%)
Time: 2 minutes
Skills: 6 builders, 2 bashers

Good: True to the title, there are multiple viable routes. Also, I like these monochrome grey levels for some reason.
Bad: One of those 'reach for the calculator' levels, unless you're good with numbers. The time limit can cause you to fail just because you didn't change the releaserate in time. Plus there's hidden traps, and that weird trap/exit hybrid thing.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: December 06, 2011, 10:56:11 AM »
and that weird trap/exit hybrid thing.

Hmm, it's been ages since I looked at that level in the actual ONML game.  That trap near the exit doesn't really look the way it does in Lemmix right?  I've assumed that's just Lemmix not rendering the overlapping objects correctly.  I'm pretty sure on the real game the part of that trap that overlaps with the exit is not visible, yes?  Can anyone check quickly?

Offline finlay

• View Profile
« Reply #118 on: December 06, 2011, 12:45:50 PM »
It's visible on the Mac, although that's not necessarily helpful for you to know. :P

Also, multiple viable routes? I only know one. You'd think that you could walk right under the metal, but there's actually a series of stomper traps under there too. Rather I think the title is there to confuse you and maybe get you into thinking there are more possibilities than there really are.

Edit: attached is the screenshot of the level in DOSBox.

Extra edit:
Wicked 18: lOTs mORe WhEre THeY caMe fRom
ahem: LoTs moRe wHeRe TheY caMe fRom (why guess when you can copy-paste? :P)

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: December 06, 2011, 07:15:23 PM »
Also, multiple viable routes? I only know one.

There's at least three different ways to do it. You can go along the bottom and build up, you can build over the water, or you can build over the top (via the double tile in the middle). The latter routes also allow you to save a basher, by building out from the start instead.