Author Topic: The level design game!  (Read 43920 times)

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
Re: The level design game!
« Reply #150 on: September 17, 2009, 08:37:24 PM »
Well that's embarassing.  :-[ At any rate, it was time for a new challenge.

Here's version 2.

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: September 18, 2009, 02:16:09 AM »
Found yet another backroute to your level. :P

Anyway, I guess it's time for the next challenge, so below is the level I designed for my challenge.
The second one is a slight adjustment to make the level require 7/8; seems somewhat backroute-prone though.

Offline chaos_defrost

• the artist formerly known as Insane Steve
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: September 18, 2009, 02:17:33 AM »
I finally got Lemmix working so I might actually be able to make real levels for these instead of horrible Paint images.

And maybe I'll make a full new level pack. If I can come up with 10 good ideas for levels  :(
"こんなげーむにまじになっちゃってどうするの"

~"Beat" Takeshi Kitano

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #153 on: September 18, 2009, 09:14:45 AM »
With all the glitches that have been found recently, I'm sure you'll have no trouble making a new pack. :P
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #154 on: September 18, 2009, 09:27:41 AM »
Found yet another backroute to your level. :P

Well this sucks.

Good job finding that though. I guess it would be enough to just extend that steel piece?

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #155 on: September 22, 2009, 04:14:21 PM »
OK. New challenge everyone! :)

Try and make a level with these rules:

* A digger must fall through the bomber's crater. If the digger tries to get all the way through the floor the level would be failed.
* There must only be one exit.
* Also, this must be an 80-lemming level with one lost.
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Neolemmix: #1 #4 #5 #6
Lix: #2  #7
Both Engines: #3

Offline Yawg

• View Profile
« Reply #156 on: September 22, 2009, 09:08:19 PM »
OK. New challenge everyone! :)

Try and make a level with these rules:

* A digger must fall through the bomber's crater. If the digger tries to get all the way through the floor the level would be failed.
* There must only be one exit.
* Also, this must be an 80-lemming level with one lost.

Could you explain the 1st condition again? Does the lemming have to dig through a bombers crater or dig and then fall? I don't understand.
Finally released my 6th level pack! Ten levels intended to push you quite a bit beyond the expectations of Mayhem/Havoc; check 'em out and let me know what you think!

http://camanis.net/lemmings/levelpacks.php?info&pack=174

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #157 on: September 23, 2009, 06:06:35 AM »
Could you explain the 1st condition again? Does the lemming have to dig through a bombers crater or dig and then fall? I don't understand.

It's dig and then fall through the crater.
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #158 on: September 28, 2009, 06:28:51 AM »
At long last, I have thought of another challenge for this game :)

Here is my solution to the current challenge.

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #159 on: September 28, 2009, 06:39:16 AM »
Looks: Not bad in general, but too dark so I'll have to add pieces for my own benefit.

Play: The level is Impossible! :XD: So I moved the whole terrain one pixel to the left to make it work. Anyway, nice level.

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #160 on: September 28, 2009, 06:56:55 AM »
That's made for Custom Lemmings mode (as all my levels are ;)). I just remembered that CustLemm drops your lemmings slightly further to the right - which makes quite a difference :XD:

I'm guessing by your reaction that the level is OK other than this? If that's the case then I'll post my new challenge shortly.

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #161 on: September 28, 2009, 08:04:13 AM »
Here's a challenge that's tailor-made for blockers. ;)

• One entrance
  • 50 lemmings, 5 to be saved (10%)
  • 10 blockers, and no other skills available
  • Any solution must use at least 3 blockers (just like the classic level)
  • And here's the kicker - It must be impossible to save more than 5 lemmings.

And before you go getting any smart ideas...

• No traps or water
  • No nuke (this includes "counterexample" solutions - I will not consider the challenge failed as a result of a nuke-related backroute)
  • No blocking through walls (same deal here as with the nuke)
  • You must not use the time limit to limit the number of lemmings that can be saved (i.e. treat it as if there is unlimited time available)

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: September 28, 2009, 11:44:06 AM »
I assume blocking through walls means pushing lemmings through a wall using a blocker. Otherwise my level could be considered requiring 'blocking through a ceiling'.

There's still namida's challenge open which got omitted as minimac posted a challenge without solving the previous one. I suggest to use it when the next 'open floor' occurs.

(In case my level doesn't comply with the specified rules, ignore the following.)

I think this one is very tough, at least it was very tough for me to make a level for it:
Create a 1-of-each-skill level with exactly 1 entrance which complies with the following rules:
  • There may be no successful solution using 6 or less skills for it
  • For any 7 of the skills, there must be a successful solution (thus 8 different solutions of that kind, each leaving out 1 of the skills) to the level
  • However there may be no 7-skill solution that saves more than the required percentage
  • There must be a solution saving more than the required percentage (which uses all 8 skills)

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #163 on: September 28, 2009, 01:10:18 PM »
Looks like geoo beat me to it, but here's my attempt anyway at Clam's challenge.  (Attached zip includes the LVL, the replay, and a screenshot.)

I'm not 100% sure whether it really needs 3 blockers.  If there's a 2-blocker solution to my level, it should still be obvious how the level could be modified to enforce the 3-blocker minimum.

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #164 on: September 28, 2009, 11:36:40 PM »
I assume blocking through walls means pushing lemmings through a wall using a blocker. Otherwise my level could be considered requiring 'blocking through a ceiling'.

Yeah, I meant pushing lemmings through a wall.

Both levels are acceptable as far as I can tell. :thumbsup:.