Author Topic: The level design game!  (Read 43576 times)

Offline Fernito

• Mapper wannabe
    • View Profile
Re: The level design game!
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2009, 01:14:57 AM »
OK, here's an easy one:

- Two lemmings, but you can give skills only to one of them.
- You must use one of each skill.
- The only saving requirement is that the non-working lemming must reach the exit.
Like prog metal? Listen at Izkemia on MySpace or Facebook.

Offline Yawg

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2009, 01:23:58 AM »
Got it. If this gets the OK, the next challenge is to do the same thing, only to use 2 of each skill other than climber, floater, and bomber.
Finally released my 6th level pack! Ten levels intended to push you quite a bit beyond the expectations of Mayhem/Havoc; check 'em out and let me know what you think!

http://camanis.net/lemmings/levelpacks.php?info&pack=174

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2009, 01:32:33 AM »
the next challenge is to do the same thing, only to use 2 of each skill other than climber, floater, and bomber.

One question:

Quote from: Spoiler
Um, if you can only assign skills to 1 lemming, how do you plan to enforce the use of both blockers?  (I won't go as far as to say that it's impossible, but definitely a bit tricky.)

Perhaps I'm misreading your requirements (or Fernito's).  Note that when I read Fernito's requirements, I interpret the second rule to mean that all solutions to the level must actually use up exactly 1 of each skill with no skills left over.

Offline Yawg

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2009, 01:35:23 AM »
Oh come on, its not THAT hard to free a blocker without another lemming. Though I will say its somewhat more difficult to come up with a level whose sole solution actually requires the mechanic in question. Still, nowhere near impossible though.
Finally released my 6th level pack! Ten levels intended to push you quite a bit beyond the expectations of Mayhem/Havoc; check 'em out and let me know what you think!

Offline Fernito

• Mapper wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2009, 01:39:09 AM »
As ccexplore says, you must use one of each skill. So, when you start the level, the skill pannel must look like 11111111, and when you finish it, it must look like 00000000.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2009, 01:42:40 AM »
Oh come on, its not THAT hard to free a blocker without another lemming. Though I will say its somewhat more difficult to come up with a level whose sole solution actually requires the mechanic in question. Still, nowhere near impossible though.

As I said, it's not impossible, but I want you to fully understand the implications of the way you stated your requirements.

And I should've put it in spoilers since now this is like a hint.  I'm sorry about that, let me edit my previous post.

Offline Yawg

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2009, 02:37:19 AM »
As ccexplore says, you must use one of each skill. So, when you start the level, the skill pannel must look like 11111111, and when you finish it, it must look like 00000000.

This is quite easy with the level I responded with. Replay attached.

And Ccexplore, I'm not sure If I'm missing the point here or what. I really don't think my challenge is that difficult. There are 2 ways I can think of going about it off the top of my head. If you wanted me to understand the comparative difficulty of using the 2nd blocker, I'm well aware of this, as it is the basis of my challenge. Again, not terribly hard, but (i think) a suitable follow-up to the last challenge.

If we're accepting my solution to the previous challenge, then the standing challenge is thus:
2 lemmings, only assign skills to one of them and save the non-worker. 1 climber, 1 bomber, 1 floater, 2 of everything else. All skills must be used.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2009, 02:41:55 AM »
2 lemmings, only assign skills to one of them and save the non-worker. 1 climber, 1 bomber, 1 floater, 2 of everything else. All skills must be used.

Darn, when I first read it, I thought you mean no climbers no bomers and no floaters.  I had a solution which I now need to go redesign to work those 3 skills into it. :XD:

Offline Fernito

• Mapper wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2009, 02:46:28 AM »
This is quite easy with the level I responded with. Replay attached.

haha, I see... but, I can pass that level without using the blocker, the floater and the bomber. The idea is that you MUST use all skills in order to finish the level, so the only way to finish the level is using all the skills. Wait, I said the same thing twice. Nevermind :P

Sorry, I know that I didn't wrote that rule specifically, but that's what I meant :(

Offline Yawg

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2009, 02:50:46 AM »
Ah, I was afraid this might be an issue. No wasting skills then? I'll get back to work. Looks like Fernito's challenge stands. For the moment ;)

EDIT: Do you have a level that solves this challenge yourself, Fernito? I'm not sure if its possible to get a blocker to be integral to ANY solution under these conditions, unless you count getting rid of bomber timing as integral...  :-\

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2009, 03:25:58 AM »
Because ClamSpammer hasn't said what should happen when there are two or more ongoing challenges introduced into the thread, I'm going ahead with Yawg's now, so I can finally present my own challenge after all these time. :P

Attached is my solution to Yawg's challenge.  Whether it works for the challenge or not depends on whether I've eliminated all but the intended solution from the level, we'll see.

And here's my challenge.  Sorry if the resulting level is a little lame, just go with it:

- one entrance and one exit only

- all solution to the level (excluding any that uses the nuke glitch, just in case) has the following pattern of lemmings dead and lemmings saved:
   a) first few consecutive lemmings die
   b) next few consecutive lemmings make it to the exit
   c) next few consecutive lemmings die
   d) next few consecutive lemmings make it to the exit
   etc.

(Ordering of lemmings based on when they enter the level.)

In other words, groups of consecutive lemmings, with the groups alternating between getting killed and getting saved.
  The number of lemmings in each group may differ (both within the same solution to the level and in different solutions), but each group must have at least 5 lemmings, and they must be consecutive lemmings.

- Furthermore, in the pattern above, there must be at least 5 groups in any solution to the level.  (Again, excluding nuke glitch solutions, just in case.)

- You cannot use any interactive objects that can kill lemmings!

Offline chaos_defrost

• the artist formerly known as Insane Steve
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2009, 03:27:54 AM »
I have an idea for Fernito's -- basicalky my idea is that there's a thin two-tier ledge near the end of the level, one of which justs out just a bit. The only skill left are the bomber (and blocker), but falling from the top to the bottom is lethal. In the level, using a timer restriction or something similar, make it so the lemmings HAVE to be spread out. The trick is the blocker is placed on the ledge to "park" it, but you have to bomb time it so that the "freeloader" lands on the ledge RIGHT before it explodes but does not wind up in the trap section.

See the amazing attached image. I'd make it myself but I lost all my editing software and can't remember how to run it.  :XD:
"こんなげーむにまじになっちゃってどうするの"

~"Beat" Takeshi Kitano

Offline Yawg

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2009, 03:38:00 AM »
See, this is why I love this community. Minutes ago I posted suggesting something might be impossible. Now, with Ccexplore's beautiful demonstration, I learned about a mechanic I would have never otherwise thought existed. I think we can call Ccexplores solution to my challenge a solution to Fernito's as well, as it accomplishes the same basic goal, and could be modified slightly to accommodate a solution using 1 of each skill.

And now, to bang my head against the wall until I figure out how to go about the next challenge  :evil:

Offline Fernito

• Mapper wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2009, 03:59:04 AM »
Don't know if this complies with ccexplore's challenge rules.

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2009, 04:03:06 AM »
I just found my own solution to Fernito's challenge (too late :(). I have yet another way of dealing with the blocker and bomber at the end of the level. What you do is place the blocker on a thin piece of terrain, aligned with the grid so that the other lemming comes as close as possible before turning back. Set a bomber so that it explodes just as the walker turns, and it will fall through the hole. With a bit of steel you can force the player to do this.

Because ClamSpammer hasn't said what should happen when there are two or more ongoing challenges introduced into the thread, I'm going ahead with Yawg's now, so I can finally present my own challenge after all these time. :P

I had an idea for how to deal with this, but on second thought it's really not a good solution. (I won't mention what it is now.)

To avoid creating too much work for myself, the best I can think of right now is to tell you to wait for confirmation before posting a new challenge - but I really don't want to, since this rule tends to cause games to stagnate. I'm open to suggestions here.