Author Topic: Mac version screenshots  (Read 9803 times)

Offline Tsyu

• View Profile
Re: Mac version screenshots
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2012, 04:12:50 AM »
In attempts to extract the Apple level (the level file itself, not the graphic) myself, I tried to extract the Levels file from the SIT file above with StuffIt 5.5, StuffIt 9.0, and another program (I think ExtractNow) and they all just leave an empty file. Am I doing something wrong, or is the SIT file damaged?

Edit: Since I can't properly extract that file (the one at the bottom of this post, just below the screenshots), I would highly appreciate it if someone could properly extract it and upload the decompressed files in a more common format, like Zip or 7-Zip.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2012, 08:41:54 PM »
File extraction for Mac is tricky because they have this screwy (fine, "special") concept of multiple "forks" within a file.  Basically (this is a bit of a simplification) the Mac think of a file as capable of having multiple streams ("forks") of data, rather than just one single stream of bytes.  In particular, many of the Mac Lemmings game files store the majority of "interesting things" (eg. graphics, sound, etc.) in the resource forks of the files.

If your extraction program doesn't have an option to extract all forks, you can end up with just the data forks of the files, which for many Mac Lemmings game files is empty (ie. everything of interest stored in the resource fork instead).  This is done probably because there is a predefined structure to data in the resource fork of a Mac file.

Anyway, I would still think that StuffIt should be Mac-aware enough to have an option for you to extract both data and resource forks, but even after doing that it will probably take you a separate program to parse the resource forks extracted.

I have actually done a bunch of that programming work a long time ago with the help of documentation scrounged from the web and from a colleague that still has really old Mac programming books.  And as earlier parts of this thread attested, I did the extraction work on the Apple level, so I guess I can pass that onto you.  But be disappointed--because it is a special graphics file, the level file itself will not contain any terrain, it will just have the entrance and exit.  The terrain is all in the graphics.

Offline Tsyu

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2012, 10:18:03 PM »
File extraction for Mac is tricky because they have this screwy (fine, "special") concept of multiple "forks" within a file.  Basically (this is a bit of a simplification) the Mac think of a file as capable of having multiple streams ("forks") of data, rather than just one single stream of bytes.  In particular, many of the Mac Lemmings game files store the majority of "interesting things" (eg. graphics, sound, etc.) in the resource forks of the files.

If your extraction program doesn't have an option to extract all forks, you can end up with just the data forks of the files, which for many Mac Lemmings game files is empty (ie. everything of interest stored in the resource fork instead).  This is done probably because there is a predefined structure to data in the resource fork of a Mac file.

Anyway, I would still think that StuffIt should be Mac-aware enough to have an option for you to extract both data and resource forks, but even after doing that it will probably take you a separate program to parse the resource forks extracted.

I have actually done a bunch of that programming work a long time ago with the help of documentation scrounged from the web and from a colleague that still has really old Mac programming books.  And as earlier parts of this thread attested, I did the extraction work on the Apple level, so I guess I can pass that onto you.  But be disappointed--because it is a special graphics file, the level file itself will not contain any terrain, it will just have the entrance and exit.  The terrain is all in the graphics.

Thanks for your info! Yes, it turns out that StuffIt 9.0 for Windows is indeed capable of extracting the resource forks as NTFS file streams, but it does not extract them at all by default.

Anyway, here is the level file. Note that the level uses 0x66 for the special graphic index, so it will need to be changed for DOS Lemmings.

Another question: How does Mac Lemmings determine which 2x2 pixel areas are solid ground? I'm asking because I'm willing to make a vgaspecX file from the graphic that you extracted.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2012, 10:45:50 PM »
Another question: How does Mac Lemmings determine which 2x2 pixel areas are solid ground? I'm asking because I'm willing to make a vgaspecX file from the graphic that you extracted.

I need to go back to my notes to confirm, but for each 2x2 area, if at least 2* of the 4 pixels are terrain, then the 2x2 area is solid, otherwise it isn't.

*I forgot whether it is 2 or 3.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2012, 12:39:43 PM »
*I forgot whether it is 2 or 3.

My notes say 2. 2-4 pixels of terrain will put the whole 2x2 block as solid.

Then again, we're talking about the "you-win-doing-nothing" Apple level.  You could probably make the solid/empty choices randomly to all the nonempty 2x2 blocks and still wind up with a more interesting level, haha. ;P

Offline Tsyu

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2012, 11:11:43 PM »
OK, here it is, ready to be played in Custom Lemmings. Feel free to upload it to to Level Database.

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2013, 07:26:40 AM »
For Lemmix users, the above file should work with the following addition to the LemmixStyles.ini file:

Code: [Select]
[DosOrig_9]
GraphicSetClass=TBaseDosGraphicSet
BrickColor=4293980256
GraphicExtFile=VGASPEC6.DAT
GraphicFile=VGAGR3.DAT
GraphicSetArchive=
GraphicSetId=0
GraphicSetIdExt=7
GraphicSetName=Apple
MetaInfoFile=GROUND3O.DAT

This caught my eye while I searching for stuff on the level, since it was mentioned over here.

Offline Ron_Stard

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2014, 08:10:25 PM »
I can't manage to play The Apple Computer Level on Lemmini. Can anybody help me?

Offline Tsyu

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2014, 09:49:04 PM »
I can't manage to play The Apple Computer Level on Lemmini. Can anybody help me?
This level is included in SuperLemmini; you can find it at Level -> Select Level -> Lemmings -> Bonus -> The Apple Computer Level. (If you're still having problems with sound stuttering, please follow the instructions in this post if you haven't done so already.)

Offline Ron_Stard

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2014, 10:28:16 PM »
This level is included in SuperLemmini; you can find it at Level -> Select Level -> Lemmings -> Bonus -> The Apple Computer Level. (If you're still having problems with sound stuttering, please follow the instructions in this post if you haven't done so already.)

Thanks, the problems regarding sound solved after downloading the newest versions of SuperLemmini  :thumbsup: .