Author Topic: Custom Level Review Game  (Read 77106 times)

Offline Fernito

• Mapper wannabe
    • View Profile
Re: Custom Level Review Game
« Reply #60 on: September 03, 2009, 10:46:31 PM »
@Clam: May I have a replay for this level? These reviews are also a beta-testing for my levels, since you guys are the first ones besides me that play them :D I need to know if there are backroutes to fix them.
Like prog metal? Listen at Izkemia on MySpace or Facebook.

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 04, 2009, 01:16:22 AM »
Of course :D

Here's one way of solving it. I had one digger spare, but I haven't yet found a 100% solution.

Offline Fernito

• Mapper wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 04, 2009, 01:34:23 AM »
Of course :D

Here's one way of solving it. I had one digger spare, but I haven't yet found a 100% solution.

hehe, you actually backrouted it  ;P BUT, the backroute can be easily removed by removing this cross I marked in the picture:

If you're able to finish the level without making lemmings turn back by hitting that cross, that could mean two things: that you did my intended solution;  or that you found another backroute hahaha.

Offline Yawg

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 04, 2009, 03:48:37 AM »
Just got a 100% solution. As it stands, it could also be eliminated by removing that cross  :P
Finally released my 6th level pack! Ten levels intended to push you quite a bit beyond the expectations of Mayhem/Havoc; check 'em out and let me know what you think!

http://camanis.net/lemmings/levelpacks.php?info&pack=174

Offline Fernito

• Mapper wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 04, 2009, 04:02:08 AM »
haha, damn cross!!

BTW, tell me guys if you find the solution of the level not using the cross :P

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 04, 2009, 04:07:35 AM »
Well my solution had a spare digger, which takes care of that.

BTW that smiley doesn't work so good on a white background. (Cool though :P)

Offline Yawg

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 04, 2009, 04:17:50 AM »
haha, damn cross!!

BTW, tell me guys if you find the solution of the level not using the cross :P

As Clamspammer pointed out, his solution could be adapted to work without the cross, but here's the first solution I found (which I forgot to post earlier). I'm assuming this was the intended solution?
Finally released my 6th level pack! Ten levels intended to push you quite a bit beyond the expectations of Mayhem/Havoc; check 'em out and let me know what you think!

Offline Yawg

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 04, 2009, 04:35:56 AM »
Anyways, moving on.

Epic Fernito 1 - Level 4 - Dilemma

Lemmings: 2
Save: 2 (100%)
RR: 99
Time: 2 minutes
Skills: 1 of everything

Comments: I've always been a fan of clever puzzles that only require one of each skill, and this is a prime example of why. A smart little timing puzzle that's not too easy, not too hard, and gets the brain working. This level is highly reminiscent of some of the classic puzzles from the original lemmings games. I would say if possible, remove the unnecessary traps (they may all be needed to prevent back routes, I haven't had time to check), or simply position them more aesthetically, and maybe replace the small pit on the left with a water hazard.

Offline Fernito

• Mapper wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 04, 2009, 04:55:14 AM »
...and maybe replace the small pit on the left with a water hazard.
Actually, that pit is part of my solution haha. So guess what: backrouted! :XD: ;P As always, a replay would be cool ;)

As Clamspammer pointed out, his solution could be adapted to work without the cross, but here's the first solution I found (which I forgot to post earlier). I'm assuming this was the intended solution?

haha, nope, that's not the intended solution. I attached it.

Well my solution had a spare digger, which takes care of that.

BTW that smiley doesn't work so good on a white background. (Cool though :P)

haha, yes, it's a pretty cool smiley. Zippy smilies are my favorite though

Offline Yawg

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 04, 2009, 04:58:57 AM »
Here's how I solved Dilemma.

Offline Fernito

• Mapper wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 04, 2009, 05:03:55 AM »
Here's how I solved Dilemma.

Oh-my-god... what a horrible backroute you found :'( My solution used every skill, except for the bomber. I must see how I can fix this.

Offline Yawg

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 04, 2009, 05:09:16 AM »
Once I knew the pit was used, I figured out the intended solution as well. I like both solutions, and to be honest, I think you could get away with just using the one I found  :D. However, if you wanted to preserve the original, a quick fix would be to replace the left half of the upper platform with steel, to prevent the top lemming from digging before the 2nd bottom trap.

Offline Fernito

• Mapper wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 04, 2009, 05:11:48 AM »
That's exactly what I did :D Here's the corrected version, just in case you wanted it.

And yes, I like the original solution the most because it makes you to use all the skills, even the blocker, something that not many people would think about, since usually blocker lemmings are lost lemmings.

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 09, 2009, 05:07:48 AM »
Just checked this new level. It's a lot tougher now :)

But it quickly becomes clear (well, it did to me at least) what you have to do. So the solution isn't that well hidden. Although, to be fair, it's not easy to hide a solution when there's only 8 (and really only 7) skills.

A couple of other things:
- The spinning traps are too low. If you dig down 6 or 7 pixels and then bash, which is an entirely reasonable thing to do, then the basher dies to the trap. This shouldn't happen IMHO.
- Too much waiting at the end. You could move the left wall in and the overhanging bit down to reduce this without affecting the solution.

Next review...
Epic Fernito 1 - Level 5 - Bilateral Lemmings

Lemmings: 40
Save: 40 (100%)
RR: 70
Time: 2 minutes
Skills: 2 climbers, 8 builders, 1 basher, 1 miner, 10 diggers

Good: High RR and low builder supply mean there are some tough decisions to make. The level of multitasking required isn't too horrible. Terrain looks nice.

Bad: Similar to what I mentioned above - a good, legitimate solution thwarted by poor object placement. If you dig through those blocks near the right entrance (where the lemmings fall if you do nothing), what do you hit? Not steel. Water. There goes my holding pen strategy...

(Unless you placed it somewhere else. The point is, you shouldn't have to.)

And there's a random piece of water hidden behind the blocks to the left of the exit, at the bottom. ???

Offline Fernito

• Mapper wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 09, 2009, 05:36:06 AM »
As for Dilemma:
A couple of other things:
- The spinning traps are too low. If you dig down 6 or 7 pixels and then bash, which is an entirely reasonable thing to do, then the basher dies to the trap. This shouldn't happen IMHO.
That's strange, since I always dig down exactly 7 pixels and the bashing level has never died. Maybe it's 6 pixels? OK, I'll correct it anyway :)

- Too much waiting at the end. You could move the left wall in and the overhanging bit down to reduce this without affecting the solution.
I'm totally aware of this. I just wanted it to be difficult to finish within 2 minutes, that's the reason of the long wait at the end.

As for Bilateral:
Bad: Similar to what I mentioned above - a good, legitimate solution thwarted by poor object placement. If you dig through those blocks near the right entrance (where the lemmings fall if you do nothing), what do you hit? Not steel. Water. There goes my holding pen strategy...

But, were you able to finish the level anyway? As usual, a replay would be pretty nice  :thumbsup: I'm also interested in knowing the route you had planned in first place (the one that failed because of the misplaced water).

And there's a random piece of water hidden behind the blocks to the left of the exit, at the bottom. ???

My fault  :-[

Thanks for the feedback, I'll fix the bad things in the levels :)