Author Topic: How many levels can be beaten with only one type of skill?  (Read 27205 times)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: How many levels can be beaten with only one type of skill?
« Reply #60 on: August 01, 2009, 10:47:22 AM »
I only have Lemmix, which doesn't have the 94 levels, so I can't test it, but shouldn't Hail 8 be possible with builders?

Also, for Frost 8, by looking at the level I can't see how it would be possible to beat with builders yet not acheive 100% with them...
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 01, 2009, 11:01:31 AM »
Hail 8 with builders is impossible because of a spike that extends too close to the top of the level for the lemmings to pass over it. Frost 8 with builders runs into the time limit, since it takes a little while to build out (even if you stack bridges to get out quickly).

By the way, how did you do Flurry 7 and 14 with builders? I've tried both of these without success.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #62 on: August 01, 2009, 11:37:36 AM »
I can't remember how I did 14 at the moment, so I can't post anything for that just yet.
As for Flurry 7, though:

Quote from: Highlight to read
The terrain already confines the lemmings, and this confinement is easy to break out of. You can therefore make the LAST lemming build over this confined area, thus giving you a worker lemming. For the spikes at the end, the spacing is such that if you build from the top of one then walk off that bridge, you'll land on the top of another one. The rest is very simple.

And for those who'd rather see it in action, I've attached a replay.

I think, like the Flurry 3 with 1 skill in the Fewest Skills topic, this too was a simple oversight on everyone else's part. But, part of why it may have been overlooked is that, rather than using glitches or misuse of skills that everyone else is mostly looking at, it simply uses unexpected but classic-style lemmings logic.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 01, 2009, 11:53:48 AM »
I think, like the Flurry 3 with 1 skill in the Fewest Skills topic, this too was a simple oversight on everyone else's part.

"Everyone else" but me anyway.  I have not begun to look at the Holiday Lemming levels for this thread yet, although I guess it's time since it does look like there isn't much else to do in Lemmings or ONML for this.

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 01, 2009, 11:50:01 PM »
Been watching the progress in these challenge threads lately without having much time to try anything myself, and I'm afraid it will keep like this, apart from little contibutions like below.

Some of these achievements are pretty amazing though, especially ClamSpammer's and ccexplore's. :thumbsup:

Attached is Tame 12 with miners only and 100% saved (which wasn't previously noted), borderline glitchy.

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 01, 2009, 11:59:42 PM »
The same trick I used on Fun 10... I realised that as soon as I read your post :XD:.

Great work :thumbsup:

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #66 on: August 02, 2009, 02:58:02 AM »
I wouldn't at all consider that glitchy. That's just genius there.
My Lemmings projects

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 02, 2009, 04:30:36 AM »
Back to Holiday Lemmings for a moment...

Yes, Flurry 7 was an oversight from me. Sometimes I get stuck in one method of thinking, and don't consider other options. And sometimes that doesn't work :(

If Flurry 14 is at all possible, it certainly requires the direct drop trick and should be marked as a glitch solution.

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
    • Leafwing Studios Website (EXTREMELY OUTDATED)
« Reply #68 on: August 02, 2009, 06:27:11 AM »
Direct drop is in every version as if they never bothered to fix it, isn't it?  There is a chance that it is supposed to happen.

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 02, 2009, 07:02:02 AM »
It doesn't happen in Amiga Lemmings, from what I've heard.

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 02, 2009, 11:56:28 AM »
Or the Mac version.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 02, 2009, 12:32:40 PM »
Direct drop is in every version as if they never bothered to fix it, isn't it?  There is a chance that it is supposed to happen.

I don't know what other versions it works on besides DOS.  This means it actually works in less version than glitches like the sliding glitch and the miner glitch.  And if you look at DOS Lemming's game programming it is pretty clearly not intended.  The game explicitly disallows fallers from exiting, and what actually happens with the direct drop is that the game incorrectly does an object check on the lemming after turning it from falling to splattering.  Because the lemming is no longer marked falling, the game lets it exit even though it's supposed to be splattering.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 02, 2009, 02:25:22 PM »
Frost
5: bashers (100%)
Frost 5 also possible with miners only (100% of course since it's required).

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 02, 2009, 04:44:29 PM »
Maybe you should take Flurry 14 off the list until you can actually confirm it with a replay.  I remain skeptical that it can be done.  It's possible you made a mistake and accidentally used a second type of skill, or you neglected to check the % required (or misread it).

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
    • Leafwing Studios Website (EXTREMELY OUTDATED)
« Reply #74 on: August 02, 2009, 06:23:07 PM »
You can't direct drop in Amiga?!  :o