Author Topic: How many levels can be beaten with only one type of skill?  (Read 27200 times)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: How many levels can be beaten with only one type of skill?
« Reply #45 on: July 27, 2009, 08:32:17 AM »
I myself tried something like that with Tame 1, although /just/ couldn't get it to work. I figured someone would eventually.

However, Tame 17 is freaking AMAZING.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 27, 2009, 09:26:54 AM »
Cool.  I had been looking at Fun 30 for something like that, but unfortunately, on that level the fall seems to be just a hair too high to allow the 21st lemming to reach the exit before his time's up.

For those who're trying this sort of solution, here's an important fact of game mechanics to keep in mind:

Falling lemmings cannot exit, they must actually land (even if it would've been a splat) first before they can exit.  So make sure to exclude from the crowd those lemmings that would've exploded very close to the exit's ground.

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 27, 2009, 10:54:44 AM »
I noticed that too on Fun 30. In fact, that was the first level I checked. It's a bit of a disappointment, but it's nice that the trick works on some levels at least :P

Anyway, here's a couple more that I missed earlier. Tame 15 and 18 with miners. (I was using my miners wrong before... :XD:)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #48 on: July 27, 2009, 11:26:02 AM »
I was wondering: Do either of yous think Taxing 15 can be done with Bashers?
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 27, 2009, 08:30:26 PM »
Highly doubtful.  Based on my current understanding, I believe you need at least 2 bashers to effect each increase of height of up to 5 pixels.  I haven't look at Taxing 15 in detail but seems like you'd need to go up more than 50 pixels.

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 28, 2009, 12:56:53 AM »
Looks like Tame 1 can be done with bashers too :)

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 28, 2009, 01:15:35 AM »
On a less exciting note, here's correcting the current list for 100% for a couple of builders-only solutions, for original Lemmings:

Fun 11: same 100% solution as Taxing 18's
Tricky 3: see attached
Tricky 4: I think this one is pretty obvious.  I can provide a replay of only the key moves if people really need it.
Mayhem 25/Tricky 13: see attached, although this is a thoroughly conventional solution, so it's probably more fun to not watch the replay.
Mayhem 18: see attached.  Again, mostly a conventional solution, the only thing remotely of interest is maybe how I started for the lower two entrances.

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 29, 2009, 06:07:52 AM »
You can also add the 100% tag to:

Fun 12 with bashers (replay attached)
Crazy 4 and 5 with builders (these levels require 100%)
Wicked 13, 17 and 18 with builders

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 29, 2009, 07:35:57 AM »
If you have the PSP version of lemmings, you can solve Taxing 21 using builders, 100%. :P
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Neolemmix: #1 #4 #5 #6
Lix: #2  #7
Both Engines: #3

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #54 on: July 29, 2009, 08:54:46 AM »
Sorry, but the PSP version isn't accepted in these challenge topics, or at least not this one, only DOS and Lemmix are. (And any others that have the exact same mechanics and levels.)
My Lemmings projects

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
    • Leafwing Studios Website (EXTREMELY OUTDATED)
« Reply #55 on: July 29, 2009, 09:05:31 AM »
What about Amiga lemmings?

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #56 on: July 29, 2009, 09:40:18 AM »
Hm. It does have a few differences, though... Like, does the sliding glitch work on it? And since it can handle 100 lemmings, that'll mean some levels allow you to lose more lemmings than DOS does...
My Lemmings projects

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 29, 2009, 10:13:58 AM »
You really need to keep each port of Lemmings separate.  Although there are many similarities, from experience, I can tell you almost every port has its own idiosyncracies.  They may be subtle but that's exactly what will come into play in a lot of these challenge solutions.  Remember, even a one-pixel difference can sometimes make or break a solution.

Here are a number of differences I can think of off top of my head between the Amiga and DOS versions:

1) time runs out faster on the Amiga version compared with DOS
2) direct drop to exit doesn't work
3) nuke glitch doesn't work
4) cannot change release rate with game paused
5) I think the basher's terrain removal can reach one pixel further horizontally on the Amiga (but the logic determine when to stop bashing etc. are all identical)
6) the backstroke of the basher (when you use the trick of having the basher remove some terrain "behind" him) is distinctly different
7) the digger requires more pixels around him to continue digging.  In DOS it continues as long as any 1 of the 9 pixels of terrain are present.  In Amiga, I think you need at least 1 of the 7 pixels of terrain (ie. excluding the leftmos and rightmost pixels of the 9) to be present.

Also, not only do most levels have 100 lemmings instead of 80, a number of levels have stricter requirements on the Amiga compared with DOS (eg. Taxing 22, Mayhem 4, Mayhem 26), meaning requiring 100% and/or given less skills.

That said, most of the glitches on DOS Lemmings do work on the Amiga, including the sliding glitch, the "climb-through-terrain" glitch, miner glitches, Wicked 7 glitch, and steel destruction glitches.

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
    • Leafwing Studios Website (EXTREMELY OUTDATED)
« Reply #58 on: July 29, 2009, 10:29:03 AM »
Ah, well, not like I have an Amiga emulator other than WinUAE installed on this thing.  I use Linux quite a lot these days; it's practically my main OS.

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 01, 2009, 03:22:19 AM »
Back on topic...

Frost
1: bashers (100%)
2: floaters (100%)
5: bashers (100%)
8: bombers, builders (possibly 100%, not confirmed), bashers (100%), miners (100%), diggers (100%)
9: builders (100%) [this is already on the list]
13: builders (nuke glitch, 100%)

Hail
2: bombers
6: no skills, blockers
7: builders (100%)
12: builders (100%)