Author Topic: How many levels can be beaten with only one type of skill?  (Read 27194 times)

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
Re: How many levels can be beaten with only one type of skill?
« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2009, 01:17:18 AM »
Taxing 15 with builders is an easy 100%.

Here's a bombers-only solution for Fun 21 AND Mayhem 26.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2009, 01:29:58 AM »
Here's a bombers-only solution for Mayhem 4.  I found that creating a more straightforward path for the lemmings proved problematic because you end up with too many lemmings that overtake your bombers, and they eventually turn around, head left and fall to their death.  Hence the roundabout route you see in the replay after an hour or so of experimentation in Lemmix.

Offline LemSteven

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 25, 2009, 01:39:12 AM »
You can add Mayhem 14 with builders for 100%.  Also, I'm pretty sure that someone like ccexplore just might be able to pull off Mayhem 2 with builders using the sliding glitch.  ;)

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 25, 2009, 01:57:28 AM »
Also, I'm pretty sure that someone like ccexplore just might be able to pull off Mayhem 2 with builders using the sliding glitch.  ;)

Actually someone else basically already did this.  Take this 100% Mayhem 2 solution replay (I think from tseug on the old old forum), and just omit all the moves that uses climbers.  The crowd being raised by the sliding glitch has 75 lemmings and you only need 72, so it suffices.

Naturally, the next question would be whether it's possible to do 100% using only builders.

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 25, 2009, 02:19:50 AM »
Thanks to A.T., the nuke glitch, and my own challenges, you can add these skills to the Tame list.

2: climbers (nuke glitch), miners, diggers
3: miners, diggers
5: miners, diggers
6: bombers, miners (100%), diggers
7: climbers (nuke glitch), bashers (100%)
9: climbers (nuke glitch), bashers (100%)
10: miners
11: miners (100%), diggers
12: miners, diggers
14: bashers (100%)
16: diggers

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 25, 2009, 03:48:35 AM »
Random Trivia

You might want to hold off on that, until this thread has settled down.  For example:

- The widest variety that does not allow for 100% in any way goes to Fun 8. Three different skills can be used, yet 100% cannot be acheived with any of them.

False.  I thought it's pretty well known that you can get 100% on both Fun 8 and Tricky 22 with builders alone, but the 100% replay posted on the Lemmings File Archive apparently uses a basher.  Anyway, replay attached.

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 25, 2009, 09:11:06 AM »
Some improvements to the Fun list.

Fun 10 with diggers can be done with 100% saved, and this level can also be done with miners (not with 100% though - replay attached).
Fun 16 with builders can be done with 100%, contrary to what your "random trivia" says - this was one of my "builder-only challenges".
Fun 21 with miners and Fun 30 with bombers are also possible. Replays attached :)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #37 on: July 25, 2009, 10:25:16 AM »
Fun 30 with bombers was one I simply overlooked. >_>

Fun 21 with miners is interesting, though.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #38 on: July 25, 2009, 11:04:27 AM »
Ugh. I just spent an hour trying to do Mayhem 18 with only builders... and I then realise it's already on the list. >_>

Here's my replay anyway, might as well post it.

Anyway, I had an idea that we should try to get a complete list of replays and compile an archive for the challenge. (For the nuke glitch, just make the replay as you would if it did work). To be standard, use the following filename format:

[Rating][Level]_[skill]_[100]_[glitch]_[username].lrb

For example, Fun 1 with diggers saving 100% done by me would be Fun01_diggers_100_namida.lrb. Tricky 5 done with climbers using a glitch by me would be Tricky05_climbers_glitch_namida.lrb.

This way, we can create a full archive of replays for this challenge.

I've already made replays for all skills on Fun 1 to 8, and bashers on Fun 9, as well as Mayhem 6 and Mayhem 18 with builders, and Tricky 22 with both bombers and builders.

Just to make this easier, could you all please post a full list of replays you've done so far?

The whole idea is only one replay per skill per level, with the priority order (lowest to highest) being glitch non-100, non-glitch non-100 and glitch 100, non-glitch 100. In the case of two with the same existing for the same level, the one that was posted first will be accepted. In the case of a non-glitch but non-100% and a glitch 100% existing simultaneously, both will be added.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 25, 2009, 03:17:18 PM »
Wild
9: No skills at all (glitch, 100%), Builders (glitch, 100%), Bashers (glitch, 100%)

Um, have you actually try the one with builders?  I'm not getting this to work in either Lemmix or DOS Lemmings.  Even nuking at the latest possible moment (ie. immediately before the 2nd lemming comes out), if I start building close enough for the lemming to exit after laying down one brick, the explosion countdown reaches 0 before the builder can move up onto the brick and exit.  If I start building a little farther away so that the builder can get up onto the build brick before the explosion countdown reaches 0, it's too far for him to hit the exit trigger.

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 26, 2009, 12:00:46 AM »
I'm sure we don't need a full set of replays for this. Especially not for the early Fun levels, or others that only give you one type of skill. I think the system we've used in the other challenge threads (post a replay unless it's really easy) works quite well, and I don't see any reason to change it.

Here's Havoc 6 with miners, without using the direct drop trick.

And Havoc 10 can be done with builders, of course.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 26, 2009, 11:26:45 AM »
Just realize Fun 17 can also be done using bashers only.  Replay attached, hint below:

Quote from: Highlight to read
Using the Fun 12 basher trick, you can gather lemmings from 3 of the 4 entrances into the same area.

By the way, namida, the Fun 14 bashers-only solution saves 100%, which your list fails to indicate.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 26, 2009, 02:00:43 PM »
Here's a builders-only solution for Fun 27 that saves 100% without using the direct drop trick.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #43 on: July 26, 2009, 02:55:21 PM »
Nice. I already knew of that solution (or rather, a very similar one), but hadn't managed to get 100% with it.
My Lemmings projects

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 27, 2009, 06:58:09 AM »
I've got another two for Tame:

Here's 1 and 17, both with builders.

8)