Author Topic: How many levels can be beaten with only one type of skill?  (Read 27195 times)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: How many levels can be beaten with only one type of skill?
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2009, 04:14:33 PM »
Added all of those. :)

Clam, do you have a replay for Crazy 4? I simply *cannot* see it being possible without the climber... I've added it to the list anyway, but I'd just like to see it in action, that's all.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2009, 04:38:13 PM »
After managing Tricky 9 for myself, I thought "Hey, why can't Mayhem 6 be done this way?"

I tried it.

It can.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Yawg

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2009, 07:14:10 PM »
Why on earth would you need a climber for crazy 4? Since the first time I played that level back in the '90s I've solved it with nothing but builders...I always thought it was the intended solution and the builder and floater were red herrings  :D

Simply use 3 bridges to get a lemming to the top through the last gap in the top pipe, then build to the exit
Finally released my 6th level pack! Ten levels intended to push you quite a bit beyond the expectations of Mayhem/Havoc; check 'em out and let me know what you think!

http://camanis.net/lemmings/levelpacks.php?info&pack=174

Offline LemSteven

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2009, 12:01:44 AM »
I've just confirmed Fun 17 using miners.  8)

Quote from: Highlight to read
The general idea is to create a small holding cell and get everone bunched up in it, save one.  That one lemming clears the path and hits steel on his last swipe, and then turns around so he can mine the others out of the cell.  If the holding cell is sufficiently small, enough will survive the traps to pass the level.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2009, 02:09:40 AM »
I've just confirmed Fun 17 using miners.  8)

Wow, good job! :thumbsup:

Attached is my own attempt on this.  I think I used the same basic idea LemSteven did, but I used one additional trick with the lemmings from the leftmost entrance to help improve the odds of success.  The attached solution saves 52% (26).  [edit: improve to 60% (30), probably can't get much higher than that with this method]

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2009, 09:37:31 AM »
I'm reformatting the list to show which skills can be used, so if you think it's possible with a skill that's not already on there, let me know. This is related to levels which have more than one skill which could be used as the only skill to beat them (for example, you could use either blockers, miners or diggers for Fun 8). Please also mention if the solution uses a glitch.
My Lemmings projects

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2009, 09:56:34 AM »
There's a mistake on your list for Tricky 26.  It uses builders not bashers (you need 3 bashers to get through the pillar in time and the level only has 2).

Also, instead of saying "not possible", I think it's more accurate to say "no solution given" or something like that.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2009, 10:11:25 AM »
Fixed both.
My Lemmings projects

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2009, 11:37:51 AM »
A few fixes to the Fun list:

8: Miners and diggers? I'd like to see some replays...
10: Possible with builders. (100%)
21: Possible with bombers (not fully confirmed, but almost certainly possible)
25: Possible with diggers (100%)
27: Possible with floaters (nuke glitch)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2009, 11:48:46 AM »
8, that was theoretical, like your bombers for Fun 21 (which I'm actually not too sure about either) and some others. I just tried it, and while someone like cc with really good knowledge may be able to do it using the nuke glitch, I sure can't. For now, I've removed them.
My Lemmings projects

Offline Fleech

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2009, 12:25:55 PM »
Just noticed that Taxing 18 doesn't have a solution listed yet. Like Fun 11 it can be done with builders, saving 100%.

I've just had a disappointing attempt at Taxing 14. The fall height from the head is too big. :(

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2009, 12:28:15 PM »
Can anyone improve on this for Tricky 7? I'm sure with perfect placement, it can be done, but I'm not skilled enough to work out how to do so.
My Lemmings projects

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2009, 07:50:14 PM »
I've tried this already yesterday but sadly, it's not looking good so far.  My best attempt so far saves 3 short of the required (52 instead of 55).

The main problem is there're not enough builders to hold back the crowd sufficiently while you build your path to your exit.  I needed 6 builders to block off the right side, then 6 to get to the last pillar, and then 8 to reach the exit, leaving no spare builders for things like holding back the crowd or even delaying a lemming.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2009, 08:19:45 PM »
Fun 24 using bombers attached.
Fun 30 100% using diggers attached.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2009, 10:21:46 PM »
Taxing has proven to be not very good for this type of challenge.  The only level I was able to add is Taxing 20, which can be done with either bashers only or miners only.  I've attached the replay for the miners-only solution.