Author Topic: General Comings and Goings  (Read 152062 times)

SPIDER-LEM

Re: General Comings and Goings
« Reply #105 on: July 28, 2012, 11:25:27 PM »
That's pretty funny, m?bius :D (excuse my standard keyboard! ;P)

Anyway, I was the one who requested ccexplore to make a program to be able to create custom cgaspecx.dat files (kind-of like his myvgaspec), though someone else, according to ccexplore, has requested him to apply music fixes for the cga-lemmings or something, which might come in handy to me as well 8)

And ccexplore, I'm glad to be back on the forum today! earlier this week I've sent an email at your 'ccexplore@yahoo.com' address that I came across while viewing older topics on this forum. I haven't seen a reply yet in all my mail, so I'm guessing you might not have got it yet. (I think I sent it on Monday, and I'm sure is probably labeled by my real name, Steve Howard, with address being stevehow113@gmail.com) so I'll be looking forward to hearing from you! :)

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: September 04, 2012, 01:53:24 AM »
After travelling across Europe for 3 weeks, preparing a couple of things the week after, and then touring through Canada again for 2 more weeks, I've finally arrived and moved in to my destination in Canada. I still need to settle down, getting used to the new surroundings and university, so I don't know how active I'll be during the next weeks yet.

Here in Canada I've seen groundhogs, squirrels and chipmunks, but unfortunately no lemmings, beavers or capybaras yet.

Offline Prob Lem

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: October 03, 2012, 04:11:37 AM »
Hello everyone!

I'm new, though I have been lurking here for a little while. I couldn't find a specific topic that seemed to be for introducing oneself, so I hope that it's ok to do so here - it seems relevant enough, as far as I can tell. :P

Erm, what to say... Let's see... I was first introduced to the Lemmings series in 1993 when a relative bought the Game Gear port of the game, but my favourite version of the first game ultimately turned out to be the Amiga original - though, of the home-console ports, the Master System version is my favourite, since it's more-or-less the same as the Game Gear version, but with a higher resolution to do things in.

Aside from those two, my favourite games in the series tend to be the ones that others appear to consider to be the "black sheep" titles - specifically, Lemmings 3D, The Lemmings Chronicles/All New World of Lemmings, and Lomax (the latter of which was a dream come true for me, because I'm a major platformer nut as well as a Lemmings fan, and it was something that I had long hoped for). This said, even after all these years, I'm still not sure what I make of Lemmings Paintball (which I run in a Windows 95 VM, since for some reason Paintball has some audio problems under WINE on my main box), and I've never played Lemmings Revolution at all (and I'm unsure if I want to let myself in for the hassle of getting it running on the hardware I use).

As for my puntastic username, I was actually struggling to think of one myself and mentioned this fact to my boyfriend, who suggested (amongst others) "Prob Lem", which I found so amusing that I just had to go with it. :P

That's all there is to say for now, methinks. It's nice to be here. :)

EDIT: Actually, having thought about it some more, I do have one more thing to say for the moment. :P I was wondering, what's the rule on responding to old topics, here, please? I couldn't seem to find this info, for some reason. Is it best to bump old topics if you have something worthwhile to add to them, or, as it is in some places out there, is it preferred that a user posts a new thread and links to a related old one? Thankyou for any advice on this - I don't want to cause any hassle. ;)

Offline LemSteven

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: October 03, 2012, 06:40:04 AM »
Welcome to the forums!

I'm glad to hear that you enjoy L3D and The Lemmings Chronicles.  I enjoy those games, too, but sadly neither one gets much discussion on the forums.

We don't have an official rule on bumping threads, so if you have something pertinent to add that is directly related to the topic at hand, go ahead and bump the thread rather than create a new one.  Also, you are encouraged to add your input to threads like the "Top 5, Bottom 5" thread, even though nobody has posted there in over three months.

I would still use common sense when it comes to bumping, though.  Don't bump a thread that is no longer relevant or if you don't have anything meaningful to add to the discussion.  Also please refrain from bumping threads for the sole purpose of bringing them to the top of the page.

Offline Prob Lem

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: October 03, 2012, 06:51:45 AM »
Welcome to the forums!
Thanks muchly! :D

I'm glad to hear that you enjoy L3D and The Lemmings Chronicles.  I enjoy those games, too, but sadly neither one gets much discussion on the forums.
I had noticed that. I hope I can contribute something worthwhile to rectify this situation, too. ;)

We don't have an official rule on bumping threads, so if you have something pertinent to add that is directly related to the topic at hand, go ahead and bump the thread rather than create a new one.  Also, you are encouraged to add your input to threads like the "Top 5, Bottom 5" thread, even though nobody has posted there in over three months.
Thanks very, very much for clarifying this. These things seem to differ a lot from place-to-place, so I figure that it's best to be certain.

I would still use common sense when it comes to bumping, though.  Don't bump a thread that is no longer relevant or if you don't have anything meaningful to add to the discussion.  Also please refrain from bumping threads for the sole purpose of bringing them to the top of the page.
That goes without saying, don't worry. :) (I can't even see a point to adding to a thread if there's no purpose to it - it's a waste of everyone's time, no? :P)

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: October 03, 2012, 12:44:13 PM »
Hello and welcome! 8)  Since you've been lurking already, I guess there isn't much I need to add at this point.  For example you may have read that several regular members are preoccupied this week with this online puzzle contest thing, so things will be a little more quiet around here.

Offline Prob Lem

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: October 03, 2012, 01:10:31 PM »
^ I did indeed see that. And, I must say, I found the team name, and some of the participant names, most amusing. I will probably be eternally tickled by "Carl P. Bara", for example. :P

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: November 05, 2012, 01:15:50 AM »
This isn't really the right topic for this post, but I kind of feel I should let you all know.

Mother died at one o'clock this morning. She was taken into the hospice on Tuesday and her last few days were peaceful. We're doing okay; the rest of the family and our friends have all been very supportive. I'm not sure what's going to happen from here, but certainly we're going to be very busy for a long while sorting things out. I'll try to get back to Lix-ing as soon as I can, but I have no idea when that will be.

Best wishes to everyone  :thumbsup:

Offline Pooty

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: January 27, 2013, 04:29:57 PM »
Oh wow, I'd been gone for a while, hadn't I? One minute, I was making a tool for the Master System version of Lemmings, and the next, I'd disappeared. Oops!

So, what happened? Back then, I was doing a college course I didn't enjoy very much. However, I decided to press on with it because I wanted to do a university course where the focus is on games programming. Programming in general interests me, but I also want to make games, so...

Anyway, the college course got really ugly, with three separate long projects to do, all at once, and none of them had anything to do with games development whatsoever! Not only was it time consuming, it was very stressful.

Thankfully, I pulled through in the end, and I have now moved to Bolton and started going to university there. Granted, Bolton's has been ranked the worst university in this country, but I'm a believer of getting out what you put in. It's not just what you're being taught, but also what you study out of hours. Four months in, and I feel that my programming skills have improved, and my love for mathematics has been resurrected. I haven't been this happy in a long time.

I got sent a PM this weekend about a level design contest, and that made me remember this forum. I do love it here, so I've decided to come back. :thumbsup:
SEGA Master System version
100% on 110/120 levels (92%). Other levels [Lemmings lost]:
Fun 03 [3], 06 [2], 18 [5]   
Taxing 19 [5], 27 [1], 28 [3]
Tricky 15 [5], 17 [2]
Mayhem 19 [7], 26 [10]

Offline Timballisto

• View Profile
« Reply #114 on: July 14, 2013, 09:03:07 AM »
Poke.

I live.

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: November 11, 2013, 07:28:03 AM »
Seems I've caught a bit of the "absent moderator syndrome" lately :P. I have various reasons / excuses for this:

- Recent computer crash (I haven't even put Lemmix or Lix back on it yet :-[)
- Puzzlehunt (this covers off the last couple of weeks)
- Slightly more going on IRL than before (nothing really noteworthy, just accumulation of things).

But really, my interest in all things comes and goes, and that includes Lemmings.

You'll be glad to know I still log in here during off times :)

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #116 on: November 11, 2013, 11:45:27 AM »
- Recent computer crash (I haven't even put Lemmix or Lix back on it yet :-[)

Yikes, I hope it doesn't mean you lost all your replays too? :scared: (As you know, right now some of the older posts on challenge threads have their attached replays lost.  Granted, probably all of yours have been downloaded by someone at some point....)

Offline Prob Lem

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: November 11, 2013, 09:51:34 PM »
Gah, not cool. I hope you had backups of everything?

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #118 on: November 11, 2013, 11:52:14 PM »
I can guarantee any replays I've posted prior to my temporary departure from the site are lost, unless someone else has them saved, since I never bothered to attempt to preserve them over several reformats (Heck, I don't even bother to preserve them next time I want to record a new replay for the same level...)... fortunately, they aren't really that impressive. The only one I can remember being REALLY impressive was the 1-builder solution to Danger 29 of LPDOS, but that replay doesn't work on new versions of the player anyway since it was recorded before the change in bomber mechanics.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: November 12, 2013, 05:23:39 AM »
I haven't lost anything :). Thankfully it wasn't a hard-disk crash but a boot problem (it got to the point where it couldn't start up). I backed up everything before formatting the disk. I also have heaps stowed away on USB disk and Dropbox :)