Lemmings Forums

NeoLemmix => NeoLemmix Styles => Topic started by: 92Dexter11 on August 22, 2026, 03:29:21 PM

Title: New 'Common' Style
Post by: 92Dexter11 on August 22, 2026, 03:29:21 PM
Hey everyone!

I'm pleased to announce a new ongoing project, dex_common.

This style was made alongside a new set of 'Lemmings Faithful' styles. Those styles are nearing completion, but I thought I'd release this one earlier, as it's a little different from all other projects that I've done so far.

It is intended to be an ongoing style of mine, which I will occasionally update with new objects, hence why I felt it necessary to make a separate forum thread.

This style isn't really a 'true' style, as it is intended to be a supplement to be used alongside another style, since it mainly contains generic objects and a few useful terrain pieces.
To clarify, each of the 'original' and 'ohno' themes from the original lemmings games use 8 unique colours for their terrain. However, for objects, they also use 6 'common' colours that are found across all styles:


(https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/aeyjywh9kmnabv5gbkwvo/flags.png?rlkey=8dib0jk3q4sr5m0vp09ysigt4&st=xf1wcqvv&dl=1)
The 6 'common' colours - red, yellow, green, blue, grey and white.


Included in dex_common are a bunch of objects that only use these 'common' colours.
These new objects are therefore compatible palette-wise with all the 'orig' and 'ohno' styles, as well as all existing 'lemmings faithful' styles, and are intended to be used alongside them!

Here is a little preview of some of the objects
(https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/jjzvbp8s7otx6vn9kp6r3/common1.png?rlkey=qnl7sw4qmbw8xefrh7f51jetr&st=tf6spfdq&dl=1)

Also included are a few generic backgrounds. I didn't feel like adding these backgrounds to any of my existing styles, since I don't think backgrounds fit with the 'faithful' theming. However, I have received requests to make backgrounds, so I felt including them here would be a good compromise. Each background uses a separate palette from all existing styles, but are limited to only 8 colours each to try and make them as 'retro' as possible. I tried to make them either as dark or as low-contrast as possible to be unobtrusive.

(Hint: use the 'background_bgdrop' object of dex_common alongside existing objects, as some objects use transparency to act as negative space.)
orig_fire exit is a good example of an object using transparency as negative space
(https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/ktzpcoyj10hghtt70r8lm/commonBG.png?rlkey=slo2az0gd3lfxj0ysjphsv7x4&st=0dixy11x&dl=1)


Here's a link to the style:

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/24s0w1e712td1tn8pybfq/dex_commonV2.zip?rlkey=t0zm094s33qfist34q0gixisv&st=zlxdlc7b&dl=1

UPDATE - Version 2: Added a few new objects, mainly background stuff in preparation for the new 'Lemmings Faithful' release.

Let me know what you think, or if there are any errors!  :thumbsup:
Title: Re: New 'Common' Style
Post by: WillLem on August 23, 2026, 01:27:40 AM
These look great! I particularly like the 'pickup vendors' :lemcat:
Title: Re: New 'Common' Style
Post by: GigaLem on August 23, 2026, 06:43:59 AM
Oh wow, I really like what I see here, especially the object where you could put it being the exit to retain the black BG in the exit.
Title: Re: New 'Common' Style
Post by: Kingshadow on August 25, 2026, 10:25:59 PM
I love the nod to Lemmings Paintball with those balloon teleporters. Great work!  :thumbsup: