Author Topic: bug in Lemmix/LemmixPlayer: incorrect entrance order for 3-entrance levels!  (Read 8954 times)

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
Note that the Amiga version, many levels have additional water/lava objects that are missing in the DOS version.  I've always wondered if some of those objects may have index higher than 15 and if so, whether their fakeness (if indeed they are fake) can actually be tested out in the actual level.

Looking at the screenshots on The Lemmings Encyclopedia, there are definitely some levels with more than 16 objects where you could test for fakeness. Good ones to try would be Tricky 7, 13 and 22, and Fun 20.

Offline lorcan

• View Profile
A first thing to know about these levels is that water only exists in the Amiga version, not in the DOS version. In the DOS version it's simply empty where the Amiga version has water. So in the DOS version lemmings die by falling into the void, and they die by drowning into the water in the Amiga version.

I've just checked Tricky 7 in the Amiga version and water on the right of the level is indeed fake (between the 2 last pillars). This confirms the index theory  ;)  Look at the attached screenshot.

EDIT: The Windows version has also no water traps in these levels ;)

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
    • Leafwing Studios Website (EXTREMELY OUTDATED)
I know someone made a remake of DOS lemmings with the missing objects included, but I don't know who.  If you have that version, you MIGHT be able to test with that, though I am not sure how accurate the indexing on objects is on that version.  If they were direct ports done by some random method, then probably accurate, but if they were added in manually, then it's one of those maybe, but probably not situations..  btw, if anyone knows who made this version, I'd like to know.

Offline Clam

• View Profile
That was DragonsLover's "corrected version". I don't know how that was done exactly, but it might be worth checking.

Re: pic: How did you get there without using any time or skills?

Offline lorcan

• View Profile
Re: pic: How did you get there without using any time or skills?

Well I don't know if it has something to do with "Amiga Forever" or my Lemmings ADFs, but the skill panel seems not to refresh. The only working things are the IN/OUT lemmings and the release rate. The other buttons don't change. So YES I used skills (bashers, miners, blockers and builders).

That was DragonsLover's "corrected version". I don't know how that was done exactly, but it might be worth checking.
Yes indeed. If someone knows where to find this correction version, this would interest me too :)

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
Are you able to run out of skills?  For instance, would it be much more easily possible to save 100% on Cascade, a feat which I have seen on YouTube, though I don't know if it works on every version with the level or not, so whether its possible or not on your game MIGHT vary.  I don't remember what version the person was using, though I think it was either SNES or Genesis.  You might want to look it up if you are curious.

Offline lorcan

• View Profile
Indeed the number of available skills doesn't decrease  ;P so I'm not able to run out of skills  :-\ Anyway I looked at the Amiga version just to check the fake doors and traps  ;) Maybe I should check another Amiga emulator or maybe my ADFs are wrong... I don't know.

BTW I noticed that the SNES has better graphics? Or do I mistake the SNES version for another version?

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
Are you able to run out of skills?  For instance, would it be much more easily possible to save 100% on Cascade, a feat which I have seen on YouTube, though I don't know if it works on every version with the level or not, so whether its possible or not on your game MIGHT vary.  I don't remember what version the person was using, though I think it was either SNES or Genesis.  You might want to look it up if you are curious.

It's obvious that a real Lemmings game would never let you have infinite skills, so I suspect lorcan's version might be hacked somehow, or perhaps he has some sort of cheats enabled in the emulator or something.

Anyway, the 100% solution for Cascade doesn't use any glitches, so it should work on pretty much any version of the game that uses the DOS/Amiga game mechanics.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile

If I recall correctly, Mindless was able to rip the level files from Amiga Lemmings.  Those levels are what DragonsLover used for his "corrected version".

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
I'm just wondering, is there a level editor for the Amiga version of the game?

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
I'm just wondering, is there a level editor for the Amiga version of the game?

Back on the old old forums, Mike Dailly, one of the programmers/designers for Lemmings, told us he found his old floppy disk that has the Editor DMA uses to create the Lemmings levels, and that runs on the Amiga.  However, I don't think he was able to get his computer to read the floppy.  He did have a screenshot of it though.

That said, I believe the level file formats are identical on the Amiga version, so any level editor that works for DOS Lemmings also works for Amiga Lemmings, as long as the editor doesn't have to run on an Amiga and you have the means to transfer files from a PC to an Amiga (or an emulation of Amiga).

Offline Mindless

• View Profile
    • Lemmings Level Database
That said, I believe the level file formats are identical on the Amiga version, so any level editor that works for DOS Lemmings also works for Amiga Lemmings, as long as the editor doesn't have to run on an Amiga and you have the means to transfer files from a PC to an Amiga (or an emulation of Amiga).

The problem is that the level files were compressed, and only a decompressor is available (afaik), so you can't put levels back into the game.

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
Ah.  Although I do miss the 100 lemmings.  I wonder if someone would be able to edit the DOS exe to support 100 lemmings?

Offline Clam

• View Profile
If someone knows where to find this correction version, this would interest me too :)

I just found a place where you can get it. DragonsLover put a download link in this post on the old Lemmings Community forum.

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
I must try this incorrect Amiga version.  That just seems like it would be fun to try (although very pointless)