Author Topic: The Perfect Blend...  (Read 22009 times)

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
    • Leafwing Studios Website (EXTREMELY OUTDATED)
Re: The Perfect Blend...
« Reply #60 on: May 07, 2009, 12:40:28 AM »
What?!  They'd both be awesome.  Maybe you could consider making one of them and have someone else do the other.  There's got to be someone who would do it.

You're right.  Tough choice. :P

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 07, 2009, 08:14:19 AM »
:huh2:

So now you show your true colors... you're a cruel person indeed. I HATE shooter games :angry:. Interesting to see the different responses from each community so far though - and I'll be watching the Metroid thread (yes, I found it) with interest.

Obviously, I'd prefer it if you put your experience into a new Lemmings game rather than a shoot 'em up. As you can see, though, there's another major project that could be starting here soon - and looking over these threads again, the two proposals are remarkably similar. It's not even clear if the two are intended to be separate or not. And if they are indeed distinct, then we could end up with two competing lemmings spinoffs - which I doubt would be the best thing for this community. Can someone please explain to me exactly what is going on?

I should mention that I've never been involved in a big online project like this before, so I have no idea what's involved. Chances are, however, that I will contribute in some way (most likely with levels) to whatever Lemmings projects go ahead - around my chaotic study schedule, of course :XD:. It's against my nature to commit to anything - I like to just go with the flow.

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 07, 2009, 08:41:09 PM »
Where's the Metroid thread, anyways?
I'd like to get the details for both so I can decide which is better.

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 07, 2009, 08:48:08 PM »
Metroid project thread

I gotta say, his OP there was a bit funnier than the one we got. This line in particular made me :laugh::

At this point, I will refrain from mentioning Game Maker in any way. This is my service to society for this year.

Offline GuyPerfect

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 07, 2009, 08:52:17 PM »
Quote from: Clam Spammer
So now you show your true colors...
Green and blue! Honest! My internet career even started on those colors!.. well, a combination thereof, which I called "blue-greenish."

Can someone please explain to me exactly what is going on?
Two people decided it'd be fun to make a new Lemmings game and posted about it.

---

For what it's worth, I'd much rather make a game for this community than Metroid--which is either filled with hardcore sequence breakers or pixel-art-inspired teenagers with no appreciation for the actual work involved in making games--but I quite simply think that a Metroid project would be more fun to make for me and I'd get to employ a larger number of technical curiosities I've had rolling around in my head for literally years. It's a real shame this site isn't Metroid Community and the other one Lemmings Headquarters. (-:

In any case, I'll let you guys (and not the Metroid guys just yet) know that I'm considering doing a sort of rotating development experiment where I would be working on both games. Spend a week or so on one, the other for the next week, etc. The only thing keeping me from doing that at this point is the fact that I can't exactly draw, and I'm not sure I want to outsource the Lemmings animations to someone else.

Offline GuyPerfect

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 07, 2009, 08:54:49 PM »
Quote from: Dullstar
I'm not exactly sure how Clam Spammer got the link he gave, but clicking the "full version" link inside there will give you the full forum mockup with avatars and such.

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 07, 2009, 09:46:47 PM »
Quote from: Dullstar
I'm not exactly sure how Clam Spammer got the link he gave, but clicking the "full version" link inside there will give you the full forum mockup with avatars and such.

Google'd it, of course. Didn't notice the "full version" link, but having seen that I think I prefer the "lite" version. Anyway, it looks to me like we've got two projects that will both amount to "Lemmings with multiplayer", when we might be better off putting our combined efforts into one. Perhaps I shouldn't jump to conclusions so quickly, but I think we (you and Eric in particular) need to discuss this further before we make any major decisions.

Offline GuyPerfect

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 07, 2009, 10:16:52 PM »
Perhaps I shouldn't jump to conclusions so quickly, but I think we (you and Eric in particular) need to discuss this further before we make any major decisions.
Both this thread and the Metroid one were started with the intent that I would personally be working on a project and that I would personally be the primary audience. People have interprated this as selfishness in the past, and I can understand that. I brought up the ideas at applicable communities because I wanted feedback and always appreciate suggestions, but at the end of the day it's still Guy Perfect doing what Guy Perfect wants to do rather than what the community decides would be best.

Having said that, should a community Lemmings project be undertaken, I'd love to participate.

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 08, 2009, 02:19:08 AM »
Well, there's something a bit close on the Lemmings Community, so...

Er...  I could do your Metroid one, but the lemmings?  No...  don't...  have...  the...  experience.  I know a lot of what I'd need to make a Metroid fan-game (but don't expect me to draw the graphics!).

Though I'd kind of lean towards the Metroid, too, since...

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 08, 2009, 02:23:26 AM »
Oh, by the way...  I will be doing my video game section over again on my website, so...  There's already a lemmings board, and I'm going to add a Metroid board soon.

Here's the link.

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 08, 2009, 04:57:39 AM »
Both this thread and the Metroid one were started with the intent that I would personally be working on a project and that I would personally be the primary audience. People have interprated this as selfishness in the past, and I can understand that.

Right, I get it. Well, I'll just have to wait and see what happens. I doubt I'll be able to do much to help on either project (besides providing ideas and arguing about stuff) until a functional level editor is made. That's quite a way off yet :)

Offline GuyPerfect

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 08, 2009, 06:25:16 PM »
Just thought I'd stop in and mention that I've made my decision, and that I've unsurprisingly decided to go the Metroid route. Part of this is due to interactions at Metroid Headquarters regarding the departure of Miles07, who is on a two-year missions trip, and the fact that the community hasn't had any focus lately and needs something to pull their collective interest together. The other part is like Clam Spammer mentioned: we don't need two competing Lemmings projects; and to be quite honest, my idea of fun is not sitting down for years on end drawing up thousands of animation cels before being able to use them in programming. Lemmings is still a dream that I'd like to realize someday, but right now I simply don't have the resources and/or patience for it.

My server finally has a good router between it and the internet once again, so I'll be posting a blog every step along the way during development of the Metroid game. This decision was made during interactions with the aforementioned Miles07, who wanted to tell the world what's involved in making a game, since most people only focus on their own custom pixelated versions of Samus. But now that he's logged out for two years, he can't continue his work and I agreed to show the world what I'll be doing behind the scenes to commemorate his efforts.

The blog, called The Perfect Kiosk, is already set up at http://www.perfectkiosk.net/. Do keep in mind that the "www." is required. If you leave it off, my server will make fun of you.

In other news, I'm still a Lemmings fanatic, so I'm not going anywhere! I'll gladly participate in others' projects, just not in the capacity of lead programmer. I can offer lotsa programming tips and tricks, but obviously my main focus will be on another project.

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 08, 2009, 09:18:12 PM »
Just release it to the public, okayz?  And remember, there's even some of us on Lemmings Community who like Metroid a bit better.  I'd like to see it!

Let's keep the ideas flowing on this thread just in case anyone might adopt this project.

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 08, 2009, 11:19:32 PM »
Whoa, that was quick. Can't say I'm surprised though. The guys over there look like they're ready to move onto something new, and are grateful for the opportunity. The lack of input from some of the veterans here (a group which I don't yet consider myself to be among) is quite telling. Or maybe everyone's been too busy to post for the last month - that can't possibly be the case, can it :huh:

Well, I guess this means when you do come back to Lemmings, you'll be even better at this game design stuff. We'll be better off in the long run :laugh:. When the Multiplayer Lemmings project gets underway, I'm sure any advice you have will be most welcome.

Good luck :)

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 08, 2009, 11:43:15 PM »
You guessed the evil plan!