Author Topic: Lemming Level List Game  (Read 123330 times)

Special_Gunpowder

Re: Lemming Level List Game
« Reply #465 on: April 23, 2005, 09:18:02 PM »
Where are these creatures from? I know all the other special levels were based on other Psygnosis games of the time so I assume this one stays true to that...right?

Conway

« Reply #466 on: April 23, 2005, 09:29:52 PM »
I don't know. They look like Pokemon or something.

Online Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #467 on: April 23, 2005, 09:47:54 PM »
Quote from: Ahribar  link=1090216677/450#463 date=1114289548
a set that, in spite of its reputation, has so far come up with a significant challenge once, ONCE in eighteen attempts...

Forget it. Just...... forget it.

Yeah, I realised how stupid I was being about "Evacuating a coal mine", went back, loaded up the level, solved it first try. I think I must have had some sort of mental block, partly, it must be said, because of ISU claiming it was a big leap in difficulty from "Is this a circus?"

So..... eighteen levels down and we are STILL waiting for the first actually difficult Sunsoft level. I am so disappointed........

(Hey, thanks for the good wishes, Conway, btw!)

Conway

« Reply #468 on: April 23, 2005, 10:02:19 PM »
Quote from: Ahribar  link=1090216677/465#467 date=1114292874
So..... eighteen levels down and we are STILL waiting for the first actually difficult Sunsoft level. I am so disappointed........

Well, a level is normally only considered difficult before one has passed it. If it still proves difficult, and it takes ages to pass when you know the solution, it is usually considered annoying. (A good example of this is Present 29 - Private Room Available.) But other levels, such as Fall and No Life, There's Madness in the Method, and to a lesser degree, Evacuating a Coal Mine, are reasonably easy when you know the solution, but can be very difficult to figure out. The fact that it had you stumped for even a few days means it's at least fairly hard, even if the solution seems quite simple.

Oh, and if you haven't played Lemmings Revolution, seriously check it out. It's full of romantic level titles!

Special_Gunpowder

« Reply #469 on: April 23, 2005, 10:08:06 PM »
I guess I just remember Sunsoft as hard from when I was so crap I couldn't get past levels like "Inside The Bone" and "The Bridge Is Breaking Down", so I used to use the passwords to look at all these unreachable levels and was thoroughly intimidated by most of them. I did get better before I sold my Mega Drive and its games though, and I do recall solving some of these harder levels...though I don't think I ever pulled off some of the later Present/Sunsoft ones.

Sunsoft 19 - Let's go camping

1 Floater
1 Bomber
7 Builders
2 Bashers
1 Digger

Save 3/3 (100%)
RR 50
4 minutes

Good: levels are becoming somewhat more challenging now.
Bad: the design looks surprisingly ropey.

Online Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #470 on: April 23, 2005, 10:16:01 PM »
No...... the only reason Sunsoft 9 stumped me so long is my talent for missing the obvious. I had the entire solution except that I was thinking of ways to use my last builder to get the climber to where he could bash the other lemmings out -- it never occurred to me to just build them out!!! I do agree with what you say, I just don't think it applies to that level.

Any downloads for Lemmings Revolution?

- - -

As regards Sunsoft 19, you don't mention the ridiculous backroute among its bad points? I still haven't found the right solution...... so that one actually would be difficult were it not for the backroute.

Can I reserve Sunsoft 21 to make up for not getting Exodus? Pretty please?

Special_Gunpowder

« Reply #471 on: April 23, 2005, 10:22:30 PM »
What was the ridiculous backroute?

Oh, and yes you can have 21. Providing of course someone hurries up and reviews "Haunted Botanical Garden" (which I wanted to do but...well, how do I finish this sentence without slamming Conway?  ;P)

Online Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #472 on: April 23, 2005, 10:33:03 PM »
No idea, because I don't know what you were going to say.

The backroute? It's staring you in the face, man! Dig into the starting platform and build so they exit to the left! Can't believe you missed that...........

Special_Gunpowder

« Reply #473 on: April 23, 2005, 10:38:17 PM »
I thought that might've been it. What threw me was the fact that with the RR at 50, the second lemming just walks straight past.

Online Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #474 on: April 23, 2005, 10:44:07 PM »
Ach, yes. So build to delay and then bash so he doesn't build right over the dig pit.

[EDIT: damn, I thought you could do it with the Shadow Boxing trick but that doesn't gain enough time. Sorry!]

Special_Gunpowder

« Reply #475 on: April 23, 2005, 10:46:12 PM »
Ah, I see.

Conway

« Reply #476 on: April 23, 2005, 10:51:18 PM »
Quote from: Special_Gunpowder  link=1090216677/465#471 date=1114294950
What was the ridiculous backroute?

Oh, and yes you can have 21. Providing of course someone hurries up and reviews "Haunted Botanical Garden" (which I wanted to do but...well, how do I finish this sentence without slamming Conway?  ;P)

What's that mean? :???:

I was just about to post a reply asking what the intended solution is to Let's Go Camping, since the only one I could find is incredibly easy and can be done in less than a minute. But just now, I managed to find a solution which requires one lemming to go down to the floor, and it takes two minutes. I still don't know if it's the intended solution, but it seems slightly more feasible than the ridiculous backroute! How did you pass this level, Gunpowder?

edit: After reading the last few posts, I realise that there are many ways to pass this one. The way i did it it to make lem1 block, lem2 turn and exit, lem2 dig and bash to release lem1, who turns if he falls into the pit if it's deep enough, builds out to the left, then make the basher build to stop. Build with the ex-blocker if he turns again.

Sunsoft 20 - Haunted Botanical Garden
 Save: 59/60
 Time: 3 minutes
 RR: 20
 Skills:
   Floaters: 5
   Bombers: 2
   Builders: 4
   Miners: 1
   Diggers: 1

Good: Probably one of the most decorative levels in this versions (except for those of special graphics).

Bad: Still lacks any element of puzzle. Once you know where the traps are, it's all too easy to plan a route around them, sometimes just by building over them.

Special_Gunpowder

« Reply #477 on: April 23, 2005, 10:53:02 PM »
Quote from: Conway  link=1090216677/465#476 date=1114296678
How did you pass this level, Gunpowder?

God knows.

I probably shouldn't have reviewed it actually, I seem to have a real mental block over it!  :-/

Online Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #478 on: April 23, 2005, 10:58:15 PM »
OK, there's a bit more to Haunted Botanical Garden than I gave it credit for. I passed it first try without ever knowing there were traps! (Incidentally, I can't help wondering if the amazing visual appeal on that one in some way inspired Special Gunpowder with his levels -- this reminds me of them in a way no other "real" level does.)

Thanks for saving this one for me!

Sunsoft 21: Be sure to be a builder

1 bomber, 1 blocker, 12 builders, 3 bashers, 1 miner

To save 100% of 25
Release rate 50
5 minutes

Good: AT LAST a difficult non-backroutable Sunsoft level! An excellent puzzle with many "red herring" solutions that end up failing.

Bad: the layout at bottom left convinced me the real solution would involve one lemming bashing at the top, the crowd bashing at the bottom to get one far enough ahead to kill that gap before the water. A really nice idea that the real solution doesn't use at all.

Online Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #479 on: April 23, 2005, 11:00:19 PM »
Returning to "Let's go camping": since I was planning on using that one in my Cheapo backroute remakes set, I would like to hear both Conway's solution with one lemming going down and (if either of you can find one) a solution where all three go down.