Author Topic: Lemming Level List Game  (Read 123260 times)

Special_Gunpowder

Re: Lemming Level List Game
« Reply #345 on: April 10, 2005, 02:23:58 PM »
Er, no, I think you'll find they are the same levels but the wag who made the website has screwed up the pictures so that the images for "Time To Get Up!" and "With a twist of Lemming please" are there but with the skills for "Izzie Wizzie..." and "Ascending...".

Conway

« Reply #346 on: April 10, 2005, 04:52:16 PM »
Ahribar, I must have used a backroute to your level.

Taxing 14 - Value Each Moment (assuming we're ignoring the Oh No recreations)
 Save: 48/50
 Time: 4 minutes
 Release rate: 80
 Skills:
   Bombers: 5
   Builders: 2

Good: It's quick to get over with
 Bad: All it takes is a little precision with the bomber and builder.
 Better: Better than 'Hunt the Nessy'? Well, it's not nearly as boring (nor as attractive)!

Online Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #347 on: April 10, 2005, 06:09:15 PM »
Agh, looks like you were right about "Izzy Wizzy" and "Ascending Pillars". Pity; it would be an interesting challenge to solve the diagrammed levels with those skills!  B)

If you did find a backroute to Lemdon Bridge, please PM it to me!

I guess it's reasonable to leave out the Oh No! recreations, though they are very nice-looking. But isn't that one of them (3 Crazy, Many lemmings make level work)?

Special_Gunpowder

« Reply #348 on: April 10, 2005, 06:10:52 PM »
No, I think we should do the Oh No! recreations as well, so we can review the differences in level design and where the level's positioned. Plus "Value each moment" is an Oh No! recreation anyways, with some key landscape differences, as is the forthcoming "Lunch Time".

With that in mind, Taxing 13 - Walk Through Here But Cautiously

Skills: 1 Climber
1 Floater
1 Bomber
4 Blockers
4 Diggers

Save 48/50
RR 01
3 Minutes

Good: level looks a bit better than its Oh No! incarnation ("Quote: That's a good level!" )
Bad: perhaps a bit too easy for its position.
Better than "Upsidedown World"? - Hell no!

Online Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #349 on: April 10, 2005, 06:32:01 PM »
I wonder whether they knew about the backroute (just block, then climb and bomb the wall)? Of course, it's so incredibly obvious you'd think it'd be amazing if they missed it, but I do have a sneaking suspicion.......

Special_Gunpowder

« Reply #350 on: April 10, 2005, 07:02:41 PM »
Yeah, you do get the feeling there were these backroutes that either slipped by the creators or that they just couldn't be bothered to fix. The massive backroute in "Acrophobia" always strikes me as being the biggest example.

Conway

« Reply #351 on: April 10, 2005, 07:17:55 PM »
Actually, 'Quote: That's a Good Level' and 'Walk through Here but Cautiously' aren't possible that way. I've just tried both (one with the emulator) and even if the lemming is made a bomber as soon as he appears, he bombs to late and the lemmings can't step through.

Taxing 20 - Fall and No Life
 Save: 85/85
 Time: 3 minutes
 Release rate: 90
 Skills:
   Floaters: 1
   Builders: 3
   Bashers: 1
   Miners: 1

Good: One of the sneakiest levels in the game! Seriously, it's probably the level that took me the longest to solve. EVER!
 Bad: Same thing?
 Better than 'Walk the Web Rope'? Definitely!

Special_Gunpowder

« Reply #352 on: April 10, 2005, 07:27:29 PM »
Aw man, I wanted to review Fall And No Life! But I felt like too much of a wazzock asking to reserve it so I put it in good faith that you'd review Lunch Time! Arse!

Oh well, have it your way...

Taxing 27 - Watch your fingertip!

Skills: 1 Blocker
4 Builders
4 Bashers
1 Miner

Save 49/50 (98%)
RR 01
4 minutes

Good: well designed level, possibly has a few different solutions too
Bad: not a great deal but it would've been better with a 100% target.

Oh, and Conway, that climber thing does work but since you stole my favourite level I'm going to be childish and not tell you how. So nerr!

Conway

« Reply #353 on: April 10, 2005, 07:31:59 PM »
Oh! Please tell me how, and review Fall and No Life. Pleeeeeeease! ;)

Special_Gunpowder

« Reply #354 on: April 10, 2005, 07:39:49 PM »
Easy. You make the first lemming into a blocker and then turn the second lemming into a bomber as he heads left towards him. That way, turned into a climber he'll blow up the wall right and you'll finish it in under a minute.

Fall And No Life is a brilliant level but it almost seems out of place doesn't it? Just as the player is gliding along on a cloud of whimsy thinking "Hmm, these Tribute To MC Escher and Bomboozal levels are a jolly good wheeze but I gathered they might be a tad more challenging than this", out of nowhere comes Fall And No Life and it's a massive wake-up call! And then what level follows it? Feel The Heat...good grief.

Another thing that makes the level intimidating is the release rate, even though it's actually a clue as to how to do it. Strange that, isn't it?

Conway

« Reply #355 on: April 10, 2005, 08:09:27 PM »
Good point, about both.

Taxing 28 - Watch Right or Left
 Save: 28/30
 Time: 5 minutes
 Release rate: 50
 Skills:
   Bombers: 2
   Builders: 13
   Miners: 3

Good: Simple, almost symmetrical layout.
 Bad: After so many more difficult levels? Too easy. It should be in Tricky, or dare I say it; Fun? And the one-way arrows make no difference what so ever!
 Better than 'POOR WEE CREATURES!'? Hardly!

Special_Gunpowder

« Reply #356 on: April 10, 2005, 08:29:21 PM »
"Watch Right Or Left!" is rubbish. Ropey design, basic solution/s and the title is too similar to Taxing 25 - Watch Right And Left!, the recreation of "ROCKY VI" (Crazy 10). It was a poor title then as well.
Anyways, now we're getting to the good levels:

Mayhem 1 - Let's get together

Skills: 2 Builders
2 Bashers
1 Digger

Save 50/50 (100%)
RR 60
2 minutes

Good: great level design and a very clever solution that shows how a few skills can go a long way.
Bad: nothing, really.
Better than "Steel Works"? - Yes, but doesn't have the same intimidation factor of "Oh no, this Mayhem's gonna be a long haul!"

Online Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #357 on: April 11, 2005, 10:39:32 AM »
I've solved Fall and No Life and Let's Get Together in Insane Steve and ISU's Cheapo versions...... both very lovely levels, but I agree that FANL is way too hard to be in Taxing.

I don't see why Mayhem ought to feel like it's going to be a long haul any more..... it's not the last set, and Mayhem is nothing compared to Sunsoft in this version.

Are we not going to go back to "Lunch Time"? I'd be very interested in a discussion of how it differs from the ONML version, especially as Planet Lemmings lists it without a digger..... which I suspect is their mistake again.

What are some different solutions to "Watch your fingertip"? I can just think of one and I don't know if even that would work...... bash into the holding area at the top, last lemming mines, builds and bashes then makes a bridge from the "tip" so the other lemmings can fall safely. Any good?

Offline DragonsLover

• Do you want fire?
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: April 11, 2005, 12:19:38 PM »
I downloaded the SMS and Sega Genesis Emulators yesterday and tried Lemmings on both versions. Now, I can try these new levels! B)

Are these versions of Lemmings only that have different (or new) levels that are not like the PC/Amiga/Atari ST ones or it's only SMS and Sega Genesis versions?

NOTE: That's crazy! There's more than 200 images to load when replying! Loading of the page is a little bit long! X_X
I like dragons! They're the center of my life! I'll never forget them...

Online Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #359 on: April 11, 2005, 12:38:16 PM »
Quote from: DragonsLover  link=1090216677/345#358 date=1113221978
Are these versions of Lemmings only that have different (or new) levels that are not like the PC/Amiga/Atari ST ones or it's only SMS and Sega Genesis versions?

The Mac version has two unique levels.

The Nintendo version has five, but these are duplicates of five of the Genesis unique levels.