Author Topic: Lemming Level List Game  (Read 123196 times)

Conway

Re: Lemming Level List Game
« Reply #330 on: April 08, 2005, 02:02:04 PM »
Recreations? That sounds like fun! Is it for Custlemm or Cheapo?

ISU, do you know where I can download the Lemmings rom?

Special_Gunpowder

« Reply #331 on: April 08, 2005, 05:06:29 PM »
Tricky 27 - Everyone turn left

Skills: 60 Miners

Save 60/60 (100%)
RR 80
3 minutes

Good: a nice variation on the "We All Fall Down" style of level and a cool scales of justice style level design.
Bad: monotonous and repetitive
Better than "The Island Of The Wicker People"? - No way!

Conway

« Reply #332 on: April 08, 2005, 05:44:16 PM »

Fun 29 - Konnichiwa Lemming san
Save: 100/100
Time: 4 minutes
Release rate: 77
Skills:
 Builders: 4
 Diggers: 2

Good: Very good layout.
 Bad: It can be difficult to get a lemming to build in the right direction at such a high release rate.

Didn't the actual version have two miners instead? How else would the wall before the exit be broken?

Special_Gunpowder

« Reply #333 on: April 08, 2005, 06:10:02 PM »
Yeah, be careful: some of the skill listings on that website are a bit dodgy. Another case in point is "Watch right or left! (Part 2)", which is listed as having no builders, which would make the level utterly impossible...and I'm fairly certain that it isn't.

Tricky 30 - Don't follow me

Skills: 3 Miners

Save 10/10 (100%)
RR 01
2 minutes

Good: level design (you can tell the other version of this level was made first by those floating platforms that are useless in this incarnation)
Bad: one of those timing levels (a la "Many Lemming make level work" ) that don't offer much in the way of variety.
Better than "The Crankshaft"? - Yes, but only because it's shorter and slightly harder. It's still not a brilliant level.

(everyone else: feel free to add these "Better than the original level?" questions to your own reviews)

Online Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #334 on: April 08, 2005, 07:14:05 PM »
Aargh, I'm away for one day and so many things go past I want to reply to!

ISU: re 4 diggers on "Go for a walk?" -- yes, I missed that. Mind you, it's very hard to guess just from a picture whether certain falls are too high or not.

Re downloads, show me where, man! :D

Re "Everyone turn left": I assume you just have to click on every lemming with the miner tool? Dull.....

Re "Konnichiwa lemming san" -- AARGH! the number of times I've looked at that site and thought "what the hell?!?" But if you have two miners, it should be quite easy. Exactly _how_ easy depends on how far a builder stretches, which is also not easy to gauge on a picture.

Re "Don't follow me" -- how can this be harder than The Crankshaft? I'd think you have to mine at the right points so the fall is survivable.... but since you only get 3 miners and nothing else, there CAN'T be any trick to it beyond that! Can there?

Special_Gunpowder

« Reply #335 on: April 08, 2005, 07:28:06 PM »
I wondered who the first person to tag me on that "harder than" comment would be.

It's harder in that there's more room for error in The Crankshaft: you only have to save 90% out of 100 lemmings and any mistimed miners you use can be fairly easily rectified using builders. With "Don't follow me", one slip and it's back to the beginning. However, I will acknowledge that it doesn't require as much effort as The Crankshaft. ;)

Offline Isu

• View Profile
« Reply #336 on: April 09, 2005, 07:56:15 AM »
ISU, do you know where I can download the Lemmings rom?

Can't remember where I got it, so try these links.

http://romhustler.net/rom/genesis/449.
The only problem is, you need winRAR to unzip it.

Or you could go to http://www.freeroms.com and look in the genesis section.

I'd recommend the latter, because you don't need WinRAR to get it, However the links don't always work.

Failing that, try searching google for them.

I'm not going to post twice, so here's Taxing 1:

Taxing 1: The bridge is breaking down:

Skills: 1 Climber
            2 Builders
            2 Bashers
            1 Miner

Save: 50/50 (100%)
Release rate: 50
Time: 4 mins

Good: Level Layout (That half chain has two flamethrowers coming out of it!)
Bad: It's too easy to be in Taxing,

Better than "If at first you dont succeed"? Difficulty wise - no, but it does look better, and it isn't as hard to pull of either.

Online Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #337 on: April 09, 2005, 11:01:34 AM »
That's all very well, but what about a program for playing that rom or whatever you called it?

Anyway, if people are still ok about me butting in on this topic even though I haven't actually played the Genesis levels, you might be interested in a level I made based on 1 Taxing (see above pic) but with a few extra touches:

http://www.geocities.com/zarathustra47/Lemdon.ZIP

I've also included the BricksLemmus style, which you'll need to play it.

Conway

« Reply #338 on: April 09, 2005, 03:46:17 PM »
Cool, thanks for the link, ISU!

Ahribar, you can get the emulator here: http://gens.consolemul.com/downloads.shtml

Nice level, but I don't see much resemblance. This is more like it: http://uk.geocities.com/benjconway79/bridge.zip

Anyway, on with the game:

Taxing 2 - Temporary Peace
 Save: 50/50 (despite what the site says!)
 Time: 5 minutes
 Release Rate: 20
 Skills:
   Builders: 10
   Bashers: 3
   Miners: 1

Good: Very challenging for me when I first found it! And very enjoyable to pass. Great landscape, and all . . .

Bad: The huge bone thing that you have to build on it hard to work with, especially with the bad game handling.

Not as good as 'Watch out! There's Traps About', though.

Special_Gunpowder

« Reply #339 on: April 09, 2005, 05:29:01 PM »
God, "Temporary Peace" - It took me absolutely ages to work that one out! Isn't it one of the only levels where what would normally be a backroute to a level actually IS the intended solution?

Anyways, here's a level I fared better with:

Taxing 3 - No choice but to follow them

Skills:
5 Builders
3 Bashers

Save 80/80 (100%)
RR 10
3 minutes

Good: a nice little maze-like solution to the level
Bad: a too little maze-like solution to the level
Better than "Heaven can wait (we hope!)"? - not as challenging but a more interesting layout.

Online Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #340 on: April 09, 2005, 06:52:35 PM »
Conway: thanks for the emulator link, I'll try it later on.

I haven't actually played "The bridge is broken down" as you know, but I worked out from the picture what I think the solution is, and my level (at least the middle part) is closely based on that. Have you solved it yet? Or perhaps you found a backroute, in which case you might well not see the resemblance.

2 and 3 Taxing are also ones I think I've worked out from looking: on 2, build right up to the top-left corner and bash across; on 3, bash right from the X and build to the "point" just under the one they can walk to, bash right the way across etc. Right?

EDIT: if the emulator does work I'll be able to stop posting these annoying comments.

EDIT 2: looking again at 3 Taxing it seems that a route along the bottom might also work....... so I must have missed a trick somewhere.

EDIT 3: played and solved Conway's level, and the solution IS the same as the middle bit of my level! So I don't know how you overlooked the resemblance. (I wasn't trying to give it much of a visual resemblance, after all.)

Offline Isu

• View Profile
« Reply #341 on: April 10, 2005, 09:54:15 AM »
Quote from: Ahribar  link=1090216677/270#275 date=1102450952
Hmm...... according to Planet Lemmings, the Amiga levels are the same as the PC and Mac versions, so Fun 23 would be You've lost that lemming feeling.

No, "Go for it" must have been level 22 Fun on the amiga (Got the level # wrong, sorry). Since the amiga didn't have any "special" levels, "Go for it" replaced "A beast of a level". Other levels must've replaced "MENACING", "What an AWESOME level" and "A beastII of a level".
Planet Lemmings is wrong. I actually still have the amiga version and when I boot up Fun 22, Go for it comes up. I think the level stats are different though.
Does anyone else who has the amiga version pf lemmings get the same levels? or is it just me?

I should have posted earlier but back then I had cetain restrictions to what times i went online. (Dial-up:devil:)

If you want I could post the different stats.

Anyway we're doing Genesis levels at the moment:

Taxing 7: Jump Down

Skills: 5 Builders
&#A0; &#A0; &#A0; &#A0; &#A0;1 Basher
&#A0; &#A0; &#A0; &#A0; &#A0;1 Miner
&#A0; &#A0;
Save: 100/100 (100%)
Release rate: 01
Time: 6 mins
&#A0; &#A0;
Good: It can be quite challenging since there is nothing to hold the lemmings back
Bad: It's hard to build a lemming as he falls down that grey bone

Can't remember what this level replaced. Probably "Been there, Seen it, Done it" Which isn't in the Genesis version.

Online Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #342 on: April 10, 2005, 10:47:31 AM »
AAAARGH!!!!!!

That one I completely missed when I was looking at the pictures....... and it's so obvious!!!

(Btw, 7 Taxing replaces "Every lemming for himself", the sequel to 4 Tricky. You're mixing it up with 7 Tricky, which also has a sequel in Taxing: 11 Taxing "The ascending pillar scenario".)

Special_Gunpowder

« Reply #343 on: April 10, 2005, 12:45:27 PM »
Yeah, good little level that "Jump Down". Requires a touch more thought than "Every Lemming for himself!" In design terms though the latter completely blows the former out of the water (pun possibly intended).

Taxing 8 - Lemmings search for treasure

Skills: 1 floater
8 builders
3 bashers
1 digger

Save 50/50 (100%)
RR 10
5 minutes

Good - a few different routes to the exit. Also the pathway through the pyramid is a nice touch.
Bad - level design is a bit bland...and "The Ascending Pillar Scenario" is only a few levels later!
Better than "The Art Gallery"? - not a chance!

Online Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #344 on: April 10, 2005, 01:43:21 PM »
Quick warning: Planet Lemmings doesn't list "Izzy Wizzy Lemmings get busy" and "The ascending pillar scenario" as unique levels, but they are. The Amiga version has different levels in those places but with the same names. Don't miss them out! :D