Author Topic: Lemming Level List Game  (Read 123249 times)

Re: Lemming Level List Game
« Reply #285 on: December 10, 2004, 10:54:00 PM »
To be fair, I think we're being a little disproportionally harsh on Finlay.  While no doubt parts of Finlay's comments are uncalled for, there's no need to go all "hell" on Finlay just because (s)he prefers a higher standard on the English (s)he reads.

« Reply #286 on: December 10, 2004, 10:58:53 PM »
Quote from: finlay  link=1090216677/270#280 date=1102701465
Would it be possible for you to release these levels for us in a more compatible (ie. just the level in one-player mode) format, if you still have them, of course?

But why?  If the levels were made for two-player mode, they're not likely going to be as interesting when you play it in one-player mode.  Two-player modes generally have a fundamentally different game objective and strategy than one-player mode.

Offline Mike

• View Profile
« Reply #287 on: December 10, 2004, 11:06:44 PM »
While I accept some people like to read correct English all the time, I don't expect to be help to their standards on a bloody forum!

Then to say that because of that she doubted my ability without having the slightest idea who I was!

The Internet is a cross cultural thing, and MANY people don't even speak English, so to hold up a sign that if you don't do it properly you couldn't possibly be involved in a game or something, is ridicules.

And Before I now ignore it.... I'm gonna say one last thing. Read it, and apply it to something you love to do, that you do well..... and see how you feel.

End of rant. Apologies to those that found my rant offensive or over sensitive.

Mike, two things: firstly, I'm not particularly impressed with the way you don't use apostrophes at all in words like "Mike's" and "I'm"; this was one thing that made me doubt that you were an actual designer.

Offline DragonsLover

• Do you want fire?
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: December 12, 2004, 03:47:00 AM »
:agree:
I like dragons! They're the center of my life! I'll never forget them...

Conway

« Reply #289 on: December 12, 2004, 07:42:07 PM »
I won't get involved, but I think it's interesting that the one person to defend Finlay has chosen to remain anonymous.

G3K

« Reply #290 on: December 12, 2004, 08:04:15 PM »
finlay> If you don't like the way Mike types, tough. You can't force him to conform to your standards. Personally, I don't really care if a few apostrophes go amiss if the post as a whole makes sense. So stop being such a grammar freak :P

//edit by admin: If someone doesn't act correct, there's no reason to act incorrect, too.

Online Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #291 on: December 12, 2004, 09:20:52 PM »
In Finlay's defence, I ought to mention that the place I first met him was on a conlanging and linguistics forum, and it's not surprising that that's made him abnormally sensitive to issues of language. &#A0;:) &#A0;Besides, G3K's last comment was much ruder than anything Finlay said. That's a sign that things are getting a bit out of hand, if people are beginning to think it's OK to say X because it's in response to Y, etc..........

So please can we just drop this quarrel and return to discussing Lemmings levels? That's why this forum exists, after all.......

Andi

« Reply #292 on: December 12, 2004, 09:34:06 PM »
If you don't stop arguing each other I'll close this topic.

No one is right. Fin!

Offline chaos_defrost

• the artist formerly known as Insane Steve
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: December 12, 2004, 09:38:26 PM »
You know, someone should take pictures of Cheapo levels so that this thread becomes what it should be...
"こんなげーむにまじになっちゃってどうするの"

~"Beat" Takeshi Kitano

Online Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #294 on: December 12, 2004, 09:40:32 PM »
Ah, but which Cheapo levels? We should agree on a set and take it in turns to discuss one level each, like the original game.... maybe you and Adam could discuss my Simple levels  :)  or we could discuss Lemmings Plus, I'm sure enough people know that.....

Offline Adam

• Just one more level....
    • View Profile
    • Lemmings Forums
« Reply #295 on: December 12, 2004, 09:44:00 PM »
Here we go again, back ON topic.

Taxing 15 - What an awesome level

Tools
20 of Everything

Number of Lems 20
To save 16
RR 50
Time 6.00 mins

Good - Nice design
Bad - Too bloody easy

« Reply #296 on: December 12, 2004, 09:46:24 PM »
Quote from: Conway  link=1090216677/285#289 date=1102880527
I won't get involved, but I think it's interesting that the one person to defend Finlay has chosen to remain anonymous.

Pffssh!  I always post anonymously on the Internet.  Even when eventually I'm going to register on this forum, you'll still just get a pseudonym.  Heck, how many people here are actually using their real names in their forum username anyway?

And you guys have no subtlety.  I'm hardly defending Finlay if you read my post.  All I said was that I think this matter is way overblown.  I can understand Mike getting furious about this, and although I'd rather wish he keep his language when he rants to a level without using words like "hell", so be it.  However, there is absolutely no need for this topic to drag on with everyone else continuing to post about their views on spelling.  I'm sure Finlay felt bad enough with the very first post Mike made in reaction.

Honestly, if you were in school and your teacher gave you a bad grade on your paper because of bad spelling, do you expect all the students to revolt and rant back at the teacher?  Everyone comes from a different background and in some cultures/environments spelling might be seen more importantly than others.  Finlay's mistake was ultimately in expressing his prejudice that the inability to spell lead to the inability to design levels, and I think Mike's response did more than enough to make Finlay realize the mistake.  And contrary to some other people's interpretation nowhere did Finlay made any attempt to "force Mike to his standards".  Rather he only said that he wasn't impressed with his spelling, which I hate to say but is factual.  Mike himself had not denied that there are many spelling errors in his posts.  That in and of itself does not and should not insult Mike; if spelling doesn't matter, then pointing them out means nothing to Mike.  Rather, Mike was only angry about the comment that someone who couldn't spell couldn't design levels.  Most people who posted afterwards instead seems more focused on the spelling aspect.

So let's make this the last topic on it okay?  It's bad enough that we hear one person's opinions about spelling, we don't need to hear about 300 other people's, at least not on this thread.  What's said is said, what's done is done, it's not going to make a big difference to anyone to have 300 more people talk this thing to death.  (Except maybe for Finlay to apologize for the "I don't think Mike could've been a level designer" comment.)  Move on.

>:(

P.S.  Conway if you truly don't want to get involved, you shouldn't have posted!

Offline chaos_defrost

• the artist formerly known as Insane Steve
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: December 12, 2004, 09:48:56 PM »
Quote from: Adam160591  link=1090216677/285#295 date=1102887840
Here we go again, back ON topic.

Taxing 15 - What an awesome level

Tools
20 of Everything

Number of Lems 20
To save 16
RR 50
Time 6.00 mins

Good - Nice design
Bad - Too bloody easy

What the -- that's easier than half the Fun levels!
"こんなげーむにまじになっちゃってどうするの"

~"Beat" Takeshi Kitano

Offline Adam

• Just one more level....
    • View Profile
    • Lemmings Forums
« Reply #298 on: December 12, 2004, 09:51:33 PM »
[RANT] I know I'm not a moderator but I'm sick to bloody death of all this arguing, I asked Andi to try and sort it out, he did and he failed. The reason - this "guest" I feel that  to post you should be a member because that way you can get banned from posting if you misbehave.
[/RANT]

« Reply #299 on: December 12, 2004, 10:19:29 PM »
Me misbehaving?!?!  Never!  :D

But seriously, can't you ban by IP address?  In fact, that's the only relatively effective way for you to ban someone, otherwise I could always just register another username, or start posting as guest again the moment I get banned.

I will register at some point, but I do want to make it so that I have something (other than messages) to post when I do finally register, so I'm holding off for now while I'm working on...stuff.

There's always the option for the moderator to turn off guest posting on some of the boards, if this irks people so much.