Author Topic: lemmings challenge solutions available for your viewing pleasure  (Read 18255 times)

Offline Shvegait

• View Profile
Re: lemmings challenge solutions available for your viewing pleasure
« Reply #60 on: August 28, 2006, 01:31:49 PM »
OK, it doesn't have to do with how you load it. I think I didn't have the paths (LemmixStyles.ini) set up properly the first time, so it used original Lemmings instead of ONML mechanics (differences in climber shrug bug, ABBA order, and X of window) . I get the correct ONML mechanics now either way.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 29, 2006, 01:48:56 PM »
Uploaded lose 10 solution for Taxing 28. You're welcome to go for lose 9... but I think I determined that it was impossible when I first did this on SNES...

I haven't found any way to achieve lose 9 either, there just seems to be too few skills available to avoid using a bomber/blocker, and I can't see a faster way to get the landing place ready in time for one less death.

Offline EricLang

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 29, 2006, 07:22:21 PM »
I tried to beat Havoc 20, but I do not think it is possible.

Requests recordings for the virtuoso's:

Mayhem 29 (Save me) Build West lose 2. I was rather impressed with my own lose 3 recording performance but I think this is just standard technique in here :)

Mayhem 29 (Save me) Build East lose 3.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 29, 2006, 07:43:44 PM »
Requests recordings for the virtuoso's:
<snip>
Mayhem 29 (Save me) Build East lose 3.

I will make time for that one and e-mail it to you sometime this week.̆ I'm not making this one public yet since it touches on something I might want to use in my own CustLemm levels.

I do hope to release this to the public at some point since it is definitely a fairly unique solution especially in how it handles the end portion of the level.  It is also what I believe to be the maximum for Amiga and SNES versions, due to the water objects present in those versions of the game making the build-west solutions infeasible.

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 29, 2006, 10:14:17 PM »
I do hope to release this to the public at some point since it is definitely a fairly unique solution especially in how it handles the end portion of the level.  It is also what I believe to be the maximum for Amiga and SNES versions, due to the water objects present in those versions of the game making the build-west solutions infeasible.
Just for the record, is that the same for the Mac as well?

tseug

« Reply #65 on: August 29, 2006, 11:27:49 PM »
I'm not making this one public yet since it touches on something I might want to use in my own CustLemm levels.

On the other forum you said what skills it uses, and it's not that hard to deduce what it is from the skills used. I can see why you would want to use it in a level. :winktounge: Speaking of which.... have you made any yet?

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 30, 2006, 12:52:22 AM »
On the other forum you said what skills it uses, and it's not that hard to deduce what it is from the skills used. I can see why you would want to use it in a level. :winktounge:

Your comment is, hmm, somewhat unexpected.

I guess I did mention enough to form a rough outline of the solution but I definitely leave out much details, particularly with the end portion.̆ I would be somewhat impressed if you actually deduce exactly how I accomplish the end section.̆ As for the trick I might use in my own level, it isn't even a glitch of any sort, and it is not involved in the end section.

So feel free to PM what you've guessed and deduced.̆ I won't necessarily tell you if you're right or not but it'd certainly be amusing to me no doubt.

Speaking of which.... have you made any yet?

Well, I guess only two, and both are actually currently released only as Cheapo versions ("If Only They Could Swim" and that nuke-only level).̆ I have LemEdit versions of those levels for quite a while, although for both I intend to do some extra decorating before the levels are finalized.

I have ideas (ranging from some very definite ones to a few more vague ones) for the remaining 8 levels, but the problem is I need to take time to design the terrain, especially the portions that are decorational rather than functional.̆ I also need to think about how to put red herrings in a good number of the levels so it's not too straightforward.̆ And a number of my "ideas" need some additional stuff to make a satisfying level.  Oh, and of course there'll always be the lookout for backroutes.

I can tell you the following though, when (maybe if) I ever finished the 10 levels:

1) With the exception of one level, glitches are not required for the levelpak.̆ And even that one level that uses glitches, does not use obscure or outrageous glitches, and the title will even tell you more or less what the glitches are.

2) I will try to avoid pixel precision, although there will probably be two or three that has pixel precision required in one or two places.

3) I think the levelpak will, at least on average, not be as hard as something like geoo89's or tseug's (actually I haven't even looked at tseug's yet so I can't say for sure).̆ It will definitely on average be harder than Mayhem rating.̆ There will be no special graphics levels.

Just for the record, is that the same for the Mac as well?

No, the build-east 77/80 solution doesn't work on the Mac, due to subtle differences with builders there (I explained this a few times in the old lemmings challenge thread so this isn't exactly a secret or anything).̆ However, due to the same difference, build-west solutions can be glitch-free on the Mac (ie. don't need to dig down on the steel), so I think 77/80 itself is still possible.̆ Possibly even 78/80, but I haven't looked at that in any details yet for the Mac so take that thought with a grain of salt.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 30, 2006, 12:57:56 AM »
Possibly even 78/80, but I haven't looked at that in any details yet for the Mac so take that thought with a grain of salt.

Actually, although I still haven't tried this out in any details, you probably want to scrap that thought anyway.  I just recalled how the 100% Taxing 6 solution doesn't work on the Mac apparently due to differences in steel detection.  Since there's also steel bashing (as far as I understood) on the 78/80 solution, there's a good chance it won't work on the Mac either in the same way 100% Taxing 6 is affected.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 30, 2006, 06:41:46 AM »
I have ideas (ranging from some very definite ones to a few more vague ones) for the remaining 8 levels, but the problem

Hah!  I forgot one more problem:  the longer I take, the more likely other people will beat to me first in making a level with the same/similar idea!

I just take a quick look at tseug's levelpak and there it is, one level that uses the very idea I have for one of my own.  Worse, he made it way too obvious.

Oh well, I guess that's my fault for not creating the levels quick enough, it is to be expected really.  At least it's a tseug level and geoo89 found the levels difficult in general, so maybe I can still release my version of it later and most other people wouldn't have solved either yet.  :devil: :tongue:

tseug

« Reply #69 on: September 10, 2006, 12:34:52 AM »
100% Mayhem 2 is done. :laugh: I modified my solution a bit.

Offline EricLang

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 10, 2006, 03:06:30 PM »
So at last. Very nice!
And when understanding the Giant Leap alias Elevator glitch it's a clean and playable solution. Difficult but playable.
I never tried the climbing in that area :)
Could you describe your first solution?

tseug

« Reply #71 on: September 10, 2006, 05:09:36 PM »
My first solution used the glitch further to the left. Besides that it was pretty much the same. You can see the difference in my avatar.
It wasn't as efficient because it took more bridges to get the last climbers up. There were also 5 climbers left instead of 3, because I didn't do the right side of level as precisely.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 12, 2006, 04:13:13 AM »

Nice! :thumbsup:

It actually didn't seem too bad in terms of challenges, I was worried that you'd need to make all sorts of adjustments with the RR but it looks like RR=38 once and you're good to go.̆ I'd imagine the hardest part would be to get 6 build-bricks to stack vertically.  How many retries did it take to finish it in Lemmix?

I also liked how you set up the crowd-holder on the right side, I don't think I would've done it as efficiently as you did.

tseug

« Reply #73 on: September 12, 2006, 04:45:40 AM »

Nice! :thumbsup:

It actually didn't seem too bad in terms of challenges, I was worried that you'd need to make all sorts of adjustments with the RR but it looks like RR=38 once and you're good to go.  I'd imagine the hardest part would be to get 6 build-bricks to stack vertically.  How many retries did it take to finish it in Lemmix?

I also liked how you set up the crowd-holder on the right side, I don't think I would've done it as efficiently as you did.

It actually took very few replays. I stacked the bricks perfectly so that wasn't a problem (there are two frames where each step will work, so it isn't really that hard). The left side took one replay. There was another for releasing the crowd. The only others were for the crowd holder, I think 2 or 3. It helps a lot that I remembered all the specifics...

When I did this on Genesis the crowd holder was much more limited. There weren't any builders left over and there were 100 lemmings so the compression space had to be small.

tseug

« Reply #74 on: September 16, 2006, 09:41:04 PM »
I just made replays of 100% Havoc 2 and 18 because I was bored. I remember someone on the other forum saying they couldn't think of how to do these. Should I upload them or are they obvious?