Author Topic: What happens if the Classic Tribe use the Attractor skill?  (Read 2707 times)

Offline Prob Lem

• View Profile
What happens if the Classic Tribe use the Attractor skill?
« on: October 23, 2013, 03:17:59 AM »
I was looking at some old threads relating to Lemmings 2, trying to find info on whether or not the Attractor skill existed for the Classic Tribe at some point (I could have sworn I'd seen a mention of it somewhere, but I guess not, because I can't seem to find it), and I found a few mentions of something that occurs if you put this skill into a Classic Tribe level using a level editor, but they're a bit light on information (the most detail I could find was that it caused some laughter :P).

I hit YouTube and found no videos demonstrating the apparent spectacle, either.

So, I have to ask: What happens when the Classic Tribe uses the Attractor skill? ???

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
Re: What happens if the Classic Tribe use the Attractor skill?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2013, 09:22:45 AM »
The game doesn't have a designated Classic attractor animation (which you probably guessed already from the laughter). So, it recycles other animations instead. And not attractor ones :D

Someone with an editor and DosBox installed might be able to contribute pics and/or video (I don't have these presently due to technical reasons)

Offline DragonsLover

• Do you want fire?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2013, 04:33:21 PM »
I swear I've mentioned it once somewhere, but I don't seem to find it. Anyway, I've tried it myself with some hex editing, it's been a while, and basically, when you assign the Attractor to a lemming in the Classic tribe, that lemming turns into a constant looping vanishing lemming (the same animation when a lemming burns in a fire jet trap). All lemmings around that messed up attractor will constantly be knocked out as if there's a constant bomb exploding as the place of the attractor. It's very weird.

Now, how about the opposite: would a Blocker skill work properly in any other tribe?

EDIT: Just tried it and Lemmings don't react to a blocker lemming in other tribes, they simply pass through it (for the only single time!). You can't assign another skill to that blocker in order to free it, and if you assign another permanent-kind skill, like the runner, the game crashes totally. So nope, the Blocker skill is really reserved for the classic tribe, the Attractor in the others.

EDIT: Here's an uploaded video showing the Attractor bug on the first level of the Classic tribe: http://www.mediafire.com/download/7bx9k5k84a6s8ui/l2_000.avi
I like dragons! They're the center of my life! I'll never forget them...

Offline Prob Lem

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2013, 08:38:45 PM »
Oh man, that's brilliant. Thanks guys, and thanks very much DragonsLover for the video! Now I can see why there was laughter (and I laughed, too). :thumbsup:

Also, I must admit, I had actually never noticed that the Blocker skill was exclusive to the Classic Tribe. I guess I was so busy managing the mindboggling number of new skills that I never really paid any attention to that...

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2013, 10:02:04 PM »
Yeah, I think we already discovered all these things (attractors in Classic, blockers in non-Classic, etc.) back when GuyPerfect made a decent level editor for Lemmings 2.  It's not all that surprising that you didn't find anything on Youtube, since w/o a level editor there is no way for you to get a level using Classic Tribe and attractor, and I don't think the editor was known at all outside of this tiny forum, and back then we don't do much of anything on Youtube.

Offline Prob Lem

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2013, 03:42:58 AM »
That's one of the threads that made me curious, funnily enough!

Offline DragonsLover

• Do you want fire?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2013, 07:00:21 AM »
Oh man, that's brilliant. Thanks guys, and thanks very much DragonsLover for the video! Now I can see why there was laughter (and I laughed, too). :thumbsup:

Also, I must admit, I had actually never noticed that the Blocker skill was exclusive to the Classic Tribe. I guess I was so busy managing the mindboggling number of new skills that I never really paid any attention to that...

No problem. :D But yeah, the Blocker is really an exclusive skill for the Classic tribe. In fact, if you go in Practice mode, which only single skill isn't there? Hmm? :P
I like dragons! They're the center of my life! I'll never forget them...

Offline Prob Lem

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2013, 07:31:58 PM »
In fact, if you go in Practice mode, which only single skill isn't there? Hmm? :P
I must confess to never having been that methodical in going through the skills in Practice Mode! :-[

I did notice that the SNES version's Practice menu has a duplicated skill, though.

Offline Leo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2013, 12:42:34 AM »
SNES has the second 'Planter' instead of 'Roller' and the second 'Runner' instead of 'Skier'. Mega Drive/Genesis has the second 'Jumper' instead of 'Skier'.

Amiga

Mega Drive

SNES

Offline Prob Lem

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2013, 01:51:17 AM »
I never noticed that in the Mega Drive version, either, and I only spotted the second Planter in the SNES version, amazingly. I need to look closer! :scared: