Author Topic: Why did you choose what your avatar is?  (Read 24605 times)

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
Re: Why did you choose what your avatar is?
« Reply #45 on: December 06, 2014, 12:36:13 AM »
OK, I thought my previous avatar looked a little bit too different and complicated so I've simplified it a bit. That previous one I pictured was actually the melody to the Lemming1 tune. BTW this is what a minim looks like. Hope you enjoy this one better than the other.

No that I have any issues with your new username, but honestly, who outside of Britain (and I frankly wonder who inside of it too) ever uses that term over the far more commonly recognized "half note"? ???  There's a reason saying "whole note", "half note", "quarter note", "eighth note", "sixteenth note" etc. works since the numeric relationship is crystal clear and of course the lengths of your notes are what forms the rhythm.  I have to look "minim" up in Wikipedia to confirm it is what I thought it is based on your latest post.  (Yeah sorry, I never read some of the recent posts you have apparently made on this thread.  Especially since with the earlier avatar before your current reduction, I instantly recognized what that was about).

I actually recognized your older avatar's tune right away, and rather like that one far more than this generic-ode-to-apparently-a-term-I-wonder-if-anyone-ever-uses your avatar has now become, but hey, to each his own. ;P

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 06, 2014, 01:04:59 AM »
and I frankly wonder who inside of it too

It's the standard term in British English. Your terms are just as alien to us as ours are to you  :P

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 06, 2014, 01:30:43 AM »
Hmm okay, so what do you guys call the other notes of different lengths (whole note [minim x 2], quarter [minim / 2], eighth [minim / 4], sixteenth [minim / 8], etc)?  It almost feels like a case of metric vs imperial measurements, and even as a US American living in a stubborn country that refuses to switch to metric, ;P I kinda see the advantage of having a more numeric-based system compared with a bunch of random words.

Offline Luis

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 06, 2014, 06:34:48 AM »
My avatar is the Lemmings PSP box. It's my favorite version of the original Lemmings and it got me back into the series. I'm a big fan of the PSP Lemmings and I don't mean to brag when I say, this forum was lucky to have me since I have given this forum a lot of information and content about the PSP Lemmings and there aren't that many people that are a big fans of this version. I can't imagine anyone else having the patiences to build those 36 exclusive levels in Lemmix.
Mr. Lemmings PSP user.

Offline Prob Lem

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 06, 2014, 06:53:53 AM »
I've made a temporary avatar-change for the festive season - it's the ever-familiar Christmas Lemmings image, taken from the launcher application on the DICE Multimedia re-release of Holiday Lemmings '94. :thumbsup:

Offline grams88

• Just one more thing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 06, 2014, 11:31:12 AM »
Hi everyone

Prob Lem is getting into the christmas spirit with her new avatar, I like it. Not long til christmas. We need to encourage anyone who has not got a avatar to get one, make your profile fancy.

I'm into my quizzes and at the moment, I've found some subjects easier than others to learn, I like my geography as I can remember all the state capitals in america, but there are subjects that tend to stomp me and that is the musical notes as Ccexplore was saying.  :thumbsup: I'lll need to try and learn another mnemonic to see if I can remember the order of the notes.

Lets try and encourage the newer users to get an avatar.  :)

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 06, 2014, 03:29:20 PM »
All right  8)

My new avatar is a lovely picture of Proxima (the star) I found on Wikipedia.

And since you asked... two minims make a semibreve, two semibreves make a breve (although this is almost never used, as all the most common time signatures are less than one breve), half a minim is a crotchet, half a crotchet is a quaver, and half a quaver is a semiquaver. It may not be a very logical system (especially as breve is cognate with brief, because it used to be the shortest note back in mediaeval times) but I like its quaintness  :P

Offline NaOH

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 07, 2014, 03:27:06 AM »
I started drawing this while talking to Simon on mumble, and finished it later.

Merry Christmas, ccexplore.  :)

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 07, 2014, 05:56:58 AM »
Thanks!

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 07, 2014, 06:07:46 AM »
And since you asked... two minims make a semibreve, two semibreves make a breve (although this is almost never used, as all the most common time signatures are less than one breve), half a minim is a crotchet, half a crotchet is a quaver, and half a quaver is a semiquaver. It may not be a very logical system (especially as breve is cognate with brief, because it used to be the shortest note back in mediaeval times) but I like its quaintness  :P

Ah, unexpectedly I remember having seen somewhere two of the terms on the list (quaver and semiquaver).  I don't know what their actual lengths are though at the time, and probably guessed incorrectly that they are older names for quarter and eighth notes (whereas based on your list, their equivalents should be eighth and sixteenth notes).  Haven't seen the rest of them until today.

Offline NaOH

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 07, 2014, 08:59:14 AM »
Haha, I didn't actually think you'd use it.

The hat is kind of distracting, though, whereas your normal avatar is mesmerizing. I don't think it was ever meant to be tampered with. You should switch it back before too long, so we don't adjust.

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 08, 2014, 01:03:05 AM »
All right  8)

My new avatar is a lovely picture of Proxima (the star) I found on Wikipedia.

nice avatar  :thumbsup:
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 08, 2014, 07:24:37 AM »
Haha, I didn't actually think you'd use it.

The hat is kind of distracting, though, whereas your normal avatar is mesmerizing. I don't think it was ever meant to be tampered with. You should switch it back before too long, so we don't adjust.

Hmm...okay.  I'll save the red hat for only the 25th then.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 10, 2014, 01:49:14 AM »
Hmm, just noticed Simon's holiday avatar:

It's probably just me but the beard at the moment reads more "barf bag" to me for some reason... :-\ :XD: Very nice though otherwise. ;)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #59 on: December 14, 2014, 09:12:43 PM »
Constructive criticism at its finest. Does this fix the bug for you?

-- Simon