Author Topic: Lemmings Challenges  (Read 126727 times)

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
Re: Lemmings Challenges
« Reply #195 on: August 29, 2005, 06:10:50 PM »
Welcome to the forums!

Quote from: Deathman48  link=1117597280/180#193 date=1125330832
my point was that because you've used 2 blockers originally to make the one Lemming width, at least one of those 2 blockers isn't going to be contained in that one Lemming, so I can't see how you are able to force everyone through the wall, that's the part I was hoping someone would clear up.

As Shvegait pointed out in his response, the Fun 6 challenge that uses only one bomber does not save the maximum number of lemmings possible.  So you don't have to worry about saving any of the 3 blockers you used.  I think I have briefly looked at whether it's possible to lose only 2 with one bomber, but the initial RR of 50 and the entrance location seems to make it impossible to collect the lemmings in one spot with only a single blocker.

As for Tricky 23, if you want I can PM you the general idea of the various solutions that saves more than what the level intended.  You're correct that you have to do something to contain the flow of lemmings that turn around from the "boundary line".

Leviathan

« Reply #196 on: August 29, 2005, 08:05:41 PM »
I can't even beat "from the boundary line" most of the times when I play it...could you PM me with the solutions you know of?

JM

« Reply #197 on: August 29, 2005, 08:37:59 PM »
I could easily beat "from the boundary line". If i find the solution I could send it to you.

Leviathan

« Reply #198 on: August 29, 2005, 11:03:07 PM »
I can beat the level that way too,altough I fail very much...but my method involves making the first 10 lems athletes and let the 11th lem bash.
Mostly I end up  with 45 or 46 lems after the wall is breached.

However I heared about solutions saving a much larger percentage than 60% and I'dd like to know how to pull that off :)

By the way JM,I added you a while ago to my MSN but you're never online...otherwise we could share levels and enhance eachothers levels or something like that :)

JM

« Reply #199 on: August 29, 2005, 11:05:39 PM »
Sorry If i wasn't online. I don't go on msn a lot. Was this the address you have added thetransplants2@hotmail.com?

Leviathan

« Reply #200 on: August 29, 2005, 11:31:43 PM »
That would be cool :)

This is my top-5 of levels I can't beat and the percentage of failiure...

1)Race against the cliches (100% failiure,still never beat it :()
2)From the boundary line (95% failiure)
3)Just a minute part two (95%)
4)Just a minute (95%)
5)Save me (75%)

If some real lemmings expert could tell me more about those levels,it would be greatly appreciated...an ow,I know about "the lemmings solution" website :)

JM

« Reply #201 on: August 29, 2005, 11:35:03 PM »
This is how you can complete "from the boundary line"

+ Bash through the wall using the first Lemming that gets to it.
+ While he's bashing, make him a climber.
+ When the climber is done bashing, you must have at least 49 Lemmings left over. If you don't, you can't win, because 48 is 60% of 80, and that's what you need to beat the level. If you have 49 when the climber is finished bashing, go ahead. If you don't, start over. I say 49 because with the way you're supposed to beat this level, the climber will have to die. If he's the 48th one and he dies, you're down to 47, and that won't cut the mustard.
+ When the climber scales the wall and is headed for the exit, dig a small bit before the exit.
+ Build to make him turn around. Make sure that when you build, the other non-climber Lemmings will be able to walk up to the exit.
+ Mine to the left so that the other Lemmings can walk up through the diagonal tunnel and watch as at least 48 of them head for the exit.

« Reply #202 on: August 30, 2005, 12:55:43 AM »
Quote from: ccexplore (not logged in)  link=1117597280/180#188 date=1125323670
I still don't know for sure why guest had problems with the time limit, but on that note, my 48/50 solution should give you about 50 seconds left on the clock.

Probably because of my stubbornness to get the solution to work. I ended up with 4 seconds left. Now I'll go off and try to do it a different way...

« Reply #203 on: August 30, 2005, 01:24:24 AM »
I was wondering how the lemmings died in your solutions (47/50  and 48/50), mine all died because they blew up.

Deathman48

« Reply #204 on: August 30, 2005, 01:46:58 AM »
Quote from: ccexplore (not logged in)  link=1117597280/195#195 date=1125339050
As Shvegait pointed out in his response, the Fun 6 challenge that uses only one bomber does not save the maximum number of lemmings possible.

My powers of observation must be failing me then. -_-

As for From The Boundary Line normal solution, all I did was bash through with the first Lemming, build as soon as soon as you drop down, get one Lemming to climb but instead of digging, building and mining the other way, I just dug as soon as the guy climed the small gap up to the level of the exist and bashed when he dug down a little way, that seemed to work just as well if I'm remembering rightly as I'm sure I had 2 Bashers on that level.

A PM containing a couple of hints at containing the flow (genesis version) would be nice if you wouldn't mind though ccexplore. ^^ I must admit I'm seriously impressed at how you and guest and others seem to know so much about these games. It wouldn't surprise me if you've whittled down the minimum number of Lemmings you have to lose in Levels to a lower number than the creaters themselves can. Especially that building on thin air trick I saw mentioned somewhere. Genious

Quote from: Leviathan  link=1117597280/195#198 date=1125358303
1)Race against the cliches (100% failiure,still never beat it :()
2)From the boundary line (95% failiure)
3)Just a minute part two (95%)
4)Just a minute (95%)
5)Save me (75%)

I'm no expert, but I can try the Just A Minutes for you. For both of them, what I did was to bash with the first 4 Lemmings that come through without changing the release rate. Make sure they all bash forward and none turn around. With the 5th Lemming you make him dig just behind where the bashers are at the point he catches them. Make sure he's dug down enough so that when Lemmings turn around, they can't walk out to the left and back to the trap. Bash forward when the pit is deep enough, but not so deep that the Lemmings can't get out the front (the angle of the bash leaves slightly raised ground on the direction of the bash) and crank the RR up to 99. I've only ever done this with no time to spare, the level is fading out as the last Lemming goes in. There are other methods, but that's what worked for me. ^^

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #205 on: August 30, 2005, 02:01:01 AM »
Quote from: guest  link=1117597280/195#202 date=1125363343
Probably because of my stubbornness to get the solution to work. I ended up with 4 seconds left. Now I'll go off and try to do it a different way...

;) What I really meant was, I couldn't quite figure out for sure what your solution actually is, since you said the time limit is tight for you.

Quote from: guest  link=1117597280/195#203 date=1125365064
I was wondering how the lemmings died in your solutions (47/50 &#A0;and 48/50), mine all died because they blew up.

For the you-inspired 47/50 as well as well as the 48/50, they died from blowing up.  For my earlier 47/50 that relates to the 48/50, two blows up, the third you don't have to blow up.

Of course, it's not just who blow up, but where......

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #206 on: August 30, 2005, 02:29:14 AM »
DeathMan48 and Leviathan, check your PM for Tricky 23 info.

DeathMan48: &#A0;you asked for hints. &#A0;I think what I PM you is more like a walkthrough. &#A0;If you want something more subtle, let me know and don't read the PM titled "Tricky 23". &#A0;I can PM you more subtle hints instead (which will be titled "Tricky 23 Hints").

« Reply #207 on: August 30, 2005, 04:45:53 AM »
Quote from: ccexplore (not logged in)  link=1117597280/195#205 date=1125367261
;) What I really meant was, I couldn't quite figure out for sure what your solution actually is, since you said the time limit is tight for you.

For the you-inspired 47/50 as well as well as the 48/50, they died from blowing up.  For my earlier 47/50 that relates to the 48/50, two blows up, the third you don't have to blow up.

Of course, it's not just who blow up, but where......

Here is a very bad explanation:

1)RR 50
2)Bomb #1 in the middle of the first brick he lands on.
3)Make #2 a blocker as soon as he hits the ground.(right entrance)
4)RR 5
5)Bomb #3 just like #1.
6)Make #4 a blocker as soon as possible.
7)Make #5 bash so that two pixels of the bash lane are below the white line in the bricks.
8)Make #7 a blocker in the bash tunnel.
9)RR 99
10)When #5 reaches the end, make him build.
11)After #5 has built 7 steps and is on his 7th step, make him bash.
12)When #4 is released he will go to the right. Make him a blocker close to the trap.
13)#2 will be slightly behind the rest of the clump. The clump should hit the bash tunnel and turn around, #2 should keep going.
14)Bomb #7.
15)Make #2 build over the chain.
16)Make #2 bash 6 or 7 (preferably 6) pixels from the top of the ramp-like thingy.
17)When the timer is at about 37, make a lemming dig next to the steel.
18)None of the lemmings should fall to their doom, and they should all get in on time.

Truly dreadful.

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #208 on: August 30, 2005, 05:16:09 AM »
Since it's been asked, here are some hints for "Just a Minute" and "Just a Minute Part Two".

Part One

How easy or hard this is really depends on the version. I first played it on the Mac, where it's easiest: dig into the little box just before the wall, bash, release rate 99.

Here's how I solved the Genesis version, which is probably the hardest: start bashing straight away with the first lemming. The second lemming digs into the little box. The basher should now dig until he's just higher than where the other lemmings are trapped, then carry on bashing. Release rate 99. At a certain point (you'll have to experiment to get the timing right), bash the crowd out of their box. The idea is that they walk down the basher's tunnel and reach him just as he breaks through -- you don't lose time with lemmings walking all the way back to the start. This solution should work on all versions. (To be honest I didn't find this solution; ccexplore told me it.)

Part Two

Well, on the Mac, you just bash with the first lemming, dig with the second low enough to keep the lemmings contained and then bash, release rate 99. This is a bit random and sometimes fails, but you should usually succeed with about a second left.

On the Genesis, start by increasing the release rate to around 50. Again bash with the first lemming, but dig behind him with the third. Have the second lemming turn round and dig just in front of the other digger; then when they are deep enough to hold the lemmings, have them both bash, opposite ways, to make a holding area. The rest is the same as Part One. Again, this should work on all versions, since the Genesis version seems to be the slowest.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #209 on: August 30, 2005, 05:17:16 AM »
Quote from: guest  link=1117597280/195#207 date=1125377153
Truly dreadful.

Not at all!  In fact, wow!  :thumbsup:

You see, I saw from the beginning 2 approaches, and more recently (well, today) you inspired me the 3rd ("guest-inspired") approach, for 47/50.  The approaches differ in particular from how they attack the final obstacle (yep, 3 totally different ways, at least for 47/50!).

But I never quite found a working solution, even a 47/50 one, for the approach you took in you solution, despite being aware of the possibility.  So I'm actually a little impressed that you got it to work.  I can also see now why you need to wait so long in your solution.

Your approach is not what I consider "glitch-free" because of how you attack the final obstacle, and is in fact distinct from all my solutions, be it 47/50 or 48/50.  (Although your solution does contain some elements of my no-glitch, "guest-inspired" 47/50, despite handling the final obstacle completely differently.)

Anyway, it's too bad that the time limit makes your approach less favorable for 48/50.  Had it worked for 48/50, your solution would have the property of involving only 1 glitch, whereas mine uses 2.  (And you probably would've gotten 48/50 before I do.)