Author Topic: Here we go  (Read 10899 times)

Offline Mr. K

• Former admin, always Lemmings fan
    • View Profile
    • Wafflenet
Here we go
« on: May 28, 2006, 01:52:10 PM »
All righty, these are the new Lemmings Forums.  All that extra-crunchy goodness, without that troublesome lag!

I'm trying to set it up as much like the real Lemmings Forums.  A lot of the current theme is placeholder (for instance I just stole the LF logo) until I get some time to fix it up.

OK, have fun, and enjoy the non-lagginess!

tseug

Here we go
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2006, 11:06:48 PM »
This is just a test to see if it works.

EDIT: I'm not getting any lag ^_^

Offline Mr. K

• View Profile
    • Wafflenet
Here we go
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2006, 10:06:05 AM »
Yeah.  Now the problem just lies in getting people to migrate here for now.

Offline Chmera

• View Profile
Here we go
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2006, 12:06:04 PM »
I'm already here! =D

Ice_Eagle

Here we go
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2006, 12:38:00 AM »
Thanks, Mr. Ksoft! :D

I suggest you make a topic in Andi's forum about your forum. That could catch other members' attention.

Offline Mr. K

• View Profile
    • Wafflenet
Here we go
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2006, 12:51:27 AM »
I will eventually.  They seem to have died again, after working perfectly for almost... 45 minutes. :P

EDIT: Done.

Offline Shvegait

• View Profile
Here we go
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2006, 07:13:38 PM »
w00t! You know, I always did like this style of forum better for some reason. The "new" old lemmings forums aren't Lemming-y enough. But! Bring back the Lemmings smileys :)

Getting people to migrate here shouldn't be too tough, really. Considering it's not really possible to even contact the other forum most of the time, where else would you turn for Lemmings goodness?

Plus this looks pretty close to the old style of the lemmingswelt forums anyway, so it's an easy transition.

Offline Mr. K

• View Profile
    • Wafflenet
Here we go
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2006, 08:37:23 PM »
I was planning to put the Lemmings smilies back into place, but-- I can't find 'em!  I even went through a bunch of topics at the old boards and couldn't find them.  Wonder if anyone has them?

Andi

Here we go
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2006, 11:32:53 AM »
Hey! Nice board!

Well, I'll delete the old forum after some time then (You can have all the files if you want.) And probably also the rest of the site and host it somewhere free.

Yes, I'm not dissapointed or so that you opened an new forum, I fully understand that. The lag was miserable.

But what I care for is, that you used the old logo without my permission (I would have allowed you if you asked me first).
And the Lemmings smilies are ALSO by me. I dunno what goes through your mind, but is it that difficult to ask me for the smilies by eMail or PM? And for the subtitle, well...

Offline Mr. K

• View Profile
    • Wafflenet
Here we go
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2006, 12:20:45 PM »
Hello Andi!

My mind's a bit odd really.  Most logical thoughts don't happen.  So obviously I just took the logo trying to make a familiar atmosphere.  And I hadn't thought that you made the smilies.  I thought someone else did.

The logo was going to be a placeholder anyway, as it looks a little out of place... just a bit.  I've just got to make the new logo.

Subtitle... well... eh, I dunno.  *changes*

I could take the old forum files.  Maybe after a while someone will actually make a convertor for YaBB 2 so then I can merge it with this board.

I don't know what's happened to half Lemmings Forumers, but maybe if you can still get into the old boards then you can get them coming.

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Here we go
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2006, 08:00:34 PM »
Quote from: Andi
Hey! Nice board!

Well, I'll delete the old forum after some time then (You can have all the files if you want.) And probably also the rest of the site and host it somewhere free.

Yes, I'm not dissapointed or so that you opened an new forum, I fully understand that. The lag was miserable.

But what I care for is, that you used the old logo without my permission (I would have allowed you if you asked me first).
And the Lemmings smilies are ALSO by me. I dunno what goes through your mind, but is it that difficult to ask me for the smilies by eMail or PM? And for the subtitle, well...
Did you actually find out what the exact problem is? It seems to me that it is the Perl script, since the other files work without any problems.

Anyway, I'd like to still be able to access the information of your old Forum, what format is it in? And, if you remember, there were threads which couldn't be displayed for some reason (especially the older ones). Is their information still available?

Andi

Here we go
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2006, 08:56:08 PM »
I made several backups before and after the change to Yabb2. I really think it where the scriptfiles because before YaBB2 we hadn't any problems. Had we? They used a lot of new code in YaBB2 and the Perl installed on my webspace was pretty old.

And because damn lazy kontent-!#$@heads are unable to transport their domains I still wait since a month for the "All-new-great-shiny-system-with-tons-of-great-features". ?_?

Ah, to go back to the posts. The unaccesable ones are also saved, but because of some reason the Converter didn't converted them. So they are still in the YaBB1 Format, or already in YaBB2 and upload failed. I can't remember because after some time you made so many posts I was afraid to change something in the datafiles.

Well then, seems like I'll be dole for the next time. Not that bad. I think I'll enjoy relaxing and seeing the others doing the work. ^^ LF was the last projekt I administrated for now about 5 years.

PS: I'll upload the smilies soon so you can download them.

Ah, will you ever enable uploads? I once planned it but I still wait for the system-update.

Offline Mr. K

• View Profile
    • Wafflenet
Here we go
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2006, 09:30:30 PM »
Uploads... oh, gawd.

The modification to add attachments in PhpBB is expert-level.  I tried it on another and failed miserably.

But here's a thought:  What if I upgrade this forum to the feature-rich Simple Machines Forum?  It's got all we need and is easier to upload, plus it is the successor to YaBB SE.  It's even got a YaBB styled theme included so it'll be easier to snatch the look of the old LF.  What say?  It will be a quick operation, basically:

PhpBB 2.0.20>>SMF 1.0.7 (separately)>>PHPBB to SMF convertor>> SMF 1.1 RC2

Yay?  I'd like to do it; PhpBB is stupid and a new version is out; but the upgrade looks like a pain in the arse unless I have shell access (which I don't)

EDIT:  The SMF is ready, I'm going ahead with this.  If it fails, then I can still fallback on this.

Offline Mindless

• View Profile
    • Lemmings Level Database
Re: Here we go
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2006, 12:23:52 AM »
(You can have all the files if you want.)
I'd like a copy too, if you don't mind.

Andi

Re: Here we go
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2006, 04:27:17 PM »
Hey, the style imitation looks nice. =P

But giving away the files is not that easy, as all the user-data such email adresses and PMs are saved. If I'd have been am member I would be angry if someones gives that away freely. ^^ I only offered him this because he wanted to integrate the old posts.

Btw, I'll make a forward page to this forum on the old LFs.

Lemmings-Smilies