Author Topic: Lix Community Level Set  (Read 169409 times)

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
Re: Lix Community Level Set
« Reply #360 on: March 09, 2012, 10:16:55 PM »
-Still Life. Proxima's solution isn't different enough imo from the intended to be a problem. Althought Clam's is different, idk if I don't like it. I think, it's still along the same general idea.
However, (also in regards to your comments), I changed it a little again, to remove that method.
as to the decoration; (thanks btw) it's to attempt to hide the solution somewhat. Idk if it helps.

-Five for fighting. I think I like Clam solution the best, I might adjust it a little to make something more like this intended. Unless there are objections. I forgot to answer proxima's question from earlier, there was no route that involved getting stuck in the hole, I couldn't do it. So I went with what turned out to be geoo's (I think) at the time.

-..Leap. this is why I was reluctant to make levels with the new skills. I'm not experienced in them enough. I'll have to attend to it later.

For now; here is a remake of 'Stuff in the way'; one of Tseug's levels that don't involve glitches of any kind. I like the two builders method. I saw you remade 'Oh no, not again' so I felt like remaking one. First I tried remaking 'Rush Hour' but I found that near impossible to execute properly.  Plus I might make a level using an idea such as that but not as precise.

once again I really love the guidlines, I already mentioned that, but it's really handy. simple things can go a long way.
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Online Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #361 on: March 11, 2012, 01:41:59 AM »
"Stuff in the Way" is an excellent puzzle level, had me stumped for a long while. Here's my solution.

Slight change to Circular Ruins / You Have to Build a Bridge. Clam's solution is still in, but I took out a different backroute. (And, as usual, I updated the easier version so both still have identical terrain, even though the change doesn't affect the easier version's solution.) The fix has made it possible to require 100% saved as I originally wanted. This now has the benefit that, since Clam's solution saves 100% anyway, they can be seen as alternative solutions without one being superior to the other.

Also re-posted my solution to Circular Ruins; the method is almost exactly the same but the previous replay won't work on the new version.

Online Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #362 on: March 11, 2012, 06:04:10 PM »
Here's a new level. I have a feeling this one will be riddled with backroutes, so... let's see what you discover.

Offline Nortaneous

• View Profile
« Reply #363 on: March 11, 2012, 10:28:19 PM »
Updated versions of my two most recent levels and a solution to Thomas the Climber. (As for backroutes, I can't find a way out of the holding cell that uses fewer than three skills besides the one in the intended solution, so...)

Online Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #364 on: March 11, 2012, 10:48:19 PM »
That replay isn't working for me :( The comment about backroutes made more sense at the time; the original version had more skills and less steel (and didn't have the sawblade, though the backroute I added the blade to prevent disappeared anyway with the reduction in skills....) If by chance you got one of the previous versions, I've double-checked and the version attached to the above post definitely is the correct current version.

But this is a level where I want to force one particular solution, so don't assume your solution is intended until I've confirmed it  :D

Oh, and here's an easy version of Thomas, for the Fun set.

Offline Nortaneous

• View Profile
« Reply #365 on: March 11, 2012, 11:11:42 PM »
If you haven't upgraded to the newest version of Lix, that's the problem; if not, I had to delete and re-add the exit in order to get Lix to realize the level has an exit, so maybe it has something to do with that.

Online Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #366 on: March 11, 2012, 11:34:48 PM »
Replays for Castles (61 saved) and Slipping Again (same solution as before). I have no idea why the exit on Thomas the Climber stopped working; I downloaded the new version of Lix as soon as it was available. Can anyone else shed any light on this?  ???

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: March 11, 2012, 11:52:22 PM »
Fascinating! A different solution to Stuff in the way. The Only solution I knew of was ccexplore's. Although yours actually looks easier to see. It also looks like this solution would work on the original as well. Although the time limit might have ruled it out but it would've been close. (in case your curious, ccexplore's utilizes the beam at the top and has you have a lemming build on the left while one comes up and around from the right to build. The replays are in that thread)

There's 2 others (3 possibly if I can adapt a substitute for a glitchy behavior and wait till oows come out) in that set that I could remake.

All the new levels are awesome and well designed.  :)

I like the use of walkers and the batter on circular ruins. I liked the layout of Castle in the sky. I would make the required amount more though, unless you want it as a fairly easy level. Thomas the climber looks really good too. I didn't get to play it yet.
The exit on Slipping Again works fine for me  ???
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline Nortaneous

• View Profile
« Reply #368 on: March 12, 2012, 12:04:09 AM »
Raised requirement for Castles in the Sky (I like Proxima's solution, and I also managed to save 61, so I figure 55 is fair), and added steel to Slipping Again.

Online Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #369 on: March 12, 2012, 12:29:54 AM »
Both mine and geoo's solutions to Slipping Away still work with small modifications. (Mine now requires all the builders.) No variant of Clam's solution is possible any more, thanks to the sawblade on the right.

Offline Nortaneous

• View Profile
« Reply #370 on: March 12, 2012, 01:27:49 AM »
...Actually, I think I like geoo's solution more than mine. I'll go with that and kill my original solution.

Here's another level, but I don't like it very much.

By the way, now that the release rate can't be lowered past 4, Process Management is probably impossible to solve.

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: March 12, 2012, 05:17:38 AM »
I have no idea why the exit on Thomas the Climber stopped working; I downloaded the new version of Lix as soon as it was available. Can anyone else shed any light on this?  ???

My guess is that Nortaneous is missing the acid object, attached to this post by thick molasses, according to the level file they go in /bitmap/simon (though they really ought to go somewhere else). The replay works if you remove the acid from the level before replaying.

By the way, now that the release rate can't be lowered past 4, Process Management is probably impossible to solve.

You can change the minimum spawn rate in the editor, down to 1 if you like.

---

I've attached replays for the latest bunch of levels. I don't recall my solution here for Stuff in the Way working for the original version, IIRC the time limit restricted the available solutions somewhat. I'd have to check the original level again to be sure though.

Online Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #372 on: March 12, 2012, 12:41:36 PM »
My guess is that Nortaneous is missing the acid object

Ah, that would account for it :) So, I viewed Nortaneous's solution with no problems, but of course it doesn't actually solve the level because the acid is there on the real thing ;) Clam's solution is the intended one.

Quote from: Clam Spammer
according to the level file they go in /bitmap/simon (though they really ought to go somewhere else)

I have to disagree -- it's most convenient for the user to have the acid and water in the same place. Certainly if geoo or anyone else remakes the deadly objects I posted earlier in this thread, I'd want them each put with the style they belong to, not in a "Proxima" folder.

Quote from: Nortaneous
...Actually, I think I like geoo's solution more than mine. I'll go with that and kill my original solution.

Not entirely sure why you wanted to prevent mine, as it's quite a bit harder both to see and to implement (at least since you have to figure out the fiddly RR changes) but okay, your decision. I'm still curious to know what your original solution was.

Offline Nortaneous

• View Profile
« Reply #373 on: March 12, 2012, 06:47:29 PM »
Mostly because I couldn't quite replicate the RR changes.  :-[ I might make another with that solution, though.

Here's Lix Ferenda and an edit of Lix Lata to bring it in line, and what I think was the original solution to Slipping Again, along with a copy of the original level.

Online Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #374 on: March 12, 2012, 07:24:27 PM »
You could just have asked :P RR 68 at the start, and 40 when the second lix enters. I think it's usually a good feature when there are multiple interesting solutions to a level, unless the level is based on a particular trick you want the player to have to spot (and sometimes even then).

Solutions to Wreck of the Hesperus, new Lix Lata and Lix Ferenda attached. I had been meaning to have a go at making a hard version of this myself, but you got there first 8) Yours is definitely different from what I would have done, but it was quite interesting to solve -- just not very hard, and not very different from how I did the easier version.