Author Topic: Lemmings Quiz  (Read 32747 times)

Online Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
Re: Lemmings Quiz
« Reply #90 on: November 05, 2011, 04:01:36 AM »
Lemmings Revolution has levers and laser gates, which affect a remote area of the level already when a lem passes by (e.g. opening/closing doors and platforms). There is just one single level in all of the numerous other Lemmings IRS-type games (i.e. excluding Paintball and Lomax) featuring such a mechanism. Which level is it?

Also, I remember Ski Jump (Level 64 in L3D) has just one exit. The other thing that looks like an exit doesn't work as one. geoo raged. :D

-- Simon

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 05, 2011, 05:17:17 AM »
Simon's question:  Lemmings 2 Sports 5 "Blow Back" (or at least that's what I think it's called), featuring a switch to turn off the gas.

I'm probably unable to completely answer Finlay's question, but we can start off with these 2 levels:

On the Antarctic Coast (of course)
Across the Gap

I also want to say "Creature Discomforts" but I think it lacks floaters.  There might be more but I haven't started actually trying to go through all the ONML levels in my head.

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 05, 2011, 08:48:23 AM »
Actually they do have floaters (about 10) of them.
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Neolemmix: #1 #4 #5 #6
Lix: #2  #7
Both Engines: #3

Online Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #93 on: November 05, 2011, 10:22:55 AM »
Yes, Blow back in L2 is what I thought of. I figured the L3D teleporters might be the closest thing to qualify except for the single-level appearance requirement, since a pair is blocked while it's used.

Wild 2 (Lemming Hotel) should have all skills as well.

-- Simon

Offline finlay

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 05, 2011, 11:09:37 AM »
cc got three of them and Simon got the last one. Hoorayy :thumbsup:

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 05, 2011, 11:51:19 AM »
Woah honestly, out of the questions from the last three pages, Simon's triple-question about the RR was the only I could solve (ok, apart from perhaps the steam switch question which I could have got with a little bit of thought).
Name the levels that fit criterion X, especially if there's a dozen of them, is a bit too much for me. :XD:
(cc's N of each question was pretty nice though, I found the Orig one when browsing the level names list, but the ONML one is such an early and  nondescript level that when I saw the name in the list, I didn't even know what it looked like. And it made me realize how sparse one-of-each-skill levels are.)

Simon said I should pose a question anyway, so, as a follow-up to one of finlay's question (however with only one level fitting the criterion): There's a level in the Genesis version of Lemmings that has both an x and a q in the name. Which is it (hint: it's a level with a memorable design using only very few different terrain pieces).
(And if you haven't played the Genesis version, then this is an incentive to do so, because the replacement levels are quite a bit better than in the other versions on average.)

Alternative question (for those refusing to play the Genesis version): In Lemmings 2P mode, which exit belongs to the lemmings with the green hair and blue body? The one with the green or the blue flag?

Offline finlay

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 05, 2011, 12:11:37 PM »
Quote from: Spoiler
Fix the road, quick!

also, the blue flag is for the blue-bodied lemmings... kinda makes sense really ;P

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 07, 2011, 12:47:37 PM »
Okay, heeding geoo's call, here's another question outside of "name the levels":

It's fairly well-known that in many versions of Lemmings (PC, Amiga, SNES, Genesis, etc.--though not the Mac), left- and right- facing builders are not symmetric in their behavior:  the placement of the build brick relative to the lemming's standing position are not mirror images for left and right.  This is also position-independent; that is, the asymmetry is consistent regardless of the lemming's actual position in the level.

Identify another position-independent asymmetric lemmings behavior.  (I'm pretty sure this is present on most of the common versions, but since I don't have to time to actually check every version, let's say the PC version.)

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 07, 2011, 01:12:39 PM »
Should be the bomber. The bomber mask is not fully symmetric, however is it not mirrored when the lemming that explodes is walking in a different direction, so the behavior is asymmetric relative to the lemming.

Next question (it's probably not as hard as it looks if you have some geographical knowledge):
Which of the following territories belonging to Norway feature the Norway Lemming (lemmus lemmus)? Multiple answers are possible:
  • Mainland of Norway
  • Svalbard
  • Bouvet Island
  • Queen Maud Land

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 07, 2011, 08:58:57 PM »
geoo answered my question correctly. 8)

I suck at geography so definitely abstaining from the latest question. :XD:

Offline finlay

• View Profile
« Reply #100 on: November 08, 2011, 01:42:19 AM »
Should be the bomber. The bomber mask is not fully symmetric, however is it not mirrored when the lemming that explodes is walking in a different direction, so the behavior is asymmetric relative to the lemming.

Next question (it's probably not as hard as it looks if you have some geographical knowledge):
Which of the following territories belonging to Norway feature the Norway Lemming (lemmus lemmus)? Multiple answers are possible:
  • Mainland of Norway
  • Svalbard
  • Bouvet Island
  • Queen Maud Land
It'll be Norway itself and Svalbard, because Bouvet Island and Queen Maud Land (ie, Norway's Antarctic claim) are in the southern hemisphere... of course, they're all basically the same sort of climate so it's perfectly possible that lemmings would be able to live on Bouvet Island. Also, you forgot Jan Mayen land, which is another island in the north Atlantic belonging to Norway, although I don't think it's inhabited by humans or lemmings.

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 08, 2011, 07:09:59 AM »
"basically the same sort of climate" is somewhat overgeneralizing it, as the mainland of Norway is quite a bit warmer than the rest, which has polar climate. So it appears that the mainland of Norway is the only landmass of the four with Norway lemmings. (Svalbard, and Jan Mayen by extension which is even a bit further to the south in latitude, are a bit tricky, as the climate isn't as harsh as on Bouvet island and Antarctica, but it seems like there are no lemmings, at least no Norway lemmings, there. I didn't include Peter I Island either as it's pretty much the same deal as Antarctica. Useless trivia: Svalbard and Jan Mayen, as well as the very remote and uninhabitated Bouvet island have their own ISO country code and subsequently even their own top level domain.)
Independent on which hemisphere they're on, Queen Maud Land and Bouvet Island don't appear too lemming friendly, with the latter covered to over 90% by ice, and having very little vegetation, and you can imagine what Antarctica is like.

Ok, go ahead with a new question. You were pretty close, and Svalbard was admittedly somewhat tricky.

Offline DoubleU

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 16, 2011, 10:26:40 PM »
I presume you mean DOS version, and excluding the Xmas games? In that case, they are (using the Lemmix names):

Dirt
Fire
Marble
Pillar
Crystal
Brick
Rock
Snow
Bubble
Beast
Menacing
Awesome
Beast II
and possibly also the Prima Publishing level on the ONML bonus disk.

Which makes a total of 13, or 14 if you want to include that last one.

What is the greatest number of consecutive builderless levels in the original DOS games?
Trust me - you don't need to look this up. Think about it!
Fifteen.  Covox Speech Thing, especially if you count Beast, Menace, Awesome, Beast II, and Prima Publishing.  Find it and download and play it if you haven't already - which I guess you haven't, or you would have included it.

Online Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #103 on: March 01, 2012, 12:00:08 AM »
General knowledge time! Which rodent is which?

Here are the possible answers; they're shuffled, and some aren't necessary:

Jerboa
Capybara
Degu
Dead rodent's hide
Mouse
Beaver
Lemming
Squirrel
Porcupine
Whale
Flying Squirrel

-- Simon

Offline chaos_defrost

• the artist formerly known as Insane Steve
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 01, 2012, 12:08:43 AM »
a-g: All dead rodent's hide. Well, they all theoretically CAN be, right?

EDIT: Well, c looks like it might be the whale, all the others are definitely dead rodents' hides.
"こんなげーむにまじになっちゃってどうするの"

~"Beat" Takeshi Kitano