Author Topic: New unofficial online Lemmings game...  (Read 31253 times)

Offline Gronkling

• View Profile
Re: New unofficial online Lemmings game...
« Reply #75 on: June 27, 2011, 10:09:43 PM »
Here's even more glitches. Some of them look quite useful.  :P

(By 'Climbing through small gaps' I mean 'Climbing through thin terrain')

Climbers being stuck in terrain is a common glitch throughout most lemmings games though so don't worry about that. In fact it's not as glitchy as usual. The climber glitch still happens but very slowly and BACKWARDS.  :o I managed to get a climber stuck in some steel.

Offline bombsite

• View Profile
    • JS Lemmings
« Reply #76 on: June 27, 2011, 11:20:53 PM »
Thanks Gronkling!

What exactly is happening with the 'sinky basher'?  Was he in the terrain before he started bashing?

Re 'Turn Back Here', do you mean he did turn back there or he should have?

Offline Mr. K

• Former admin, always Lemmings fan
    • View Profile
    • Wafflenet
« Reply #77 on: June 28, 2011, 04:04:11 AM »
Hey, I got bored and tried this on my smartphone (sick and bidden right now)... unfortunately it doesnt work well.  Speed is fine and I can pick skills , etc, but I can't click lemmings.  Sound doesn't work either.

This is on a HTC Droid Incredible 2 with Android 2.2.  I imagine fixing these issues is out of your control, but if not I can certainly play test.

Offline bombsite

• View Profile
    • JS Lemmings
« Reply #78 on: June 28, 2011, 09:47:03 AM »
Hey, I got bored and tried this on my smartphone (sick and bidden right now)... unfortunately it doesnt work well.  Speed is fine and I can pick skills , etc, but I can't click lemmings.  Sound doesn't work either.

This is on a HTC Droid Incredible 2 with Android 2.2.  I imagine fixing these issues is out of your control, but if not I can certainly play test.

Android play testing would be great as I don't have access to a smartphone.

Re the audio issue, apparently HTML5 audio is supported starting at Android 2.3 according to what I've read online.  I don't know how easy it is to upgrade?

I've added some code which should now allow you to click/select Lemmings on Android/iPhone - could you let me know if it works now for you?  If it detects you're using a phone it should display 'phone' underneath the level timer.

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 28, 2011, 11:26:26 AM »
Out of curiosity, I tried this game on my ipod Touch. It seems to work just fine :thumbsup:, albeit a little slow. Whether that's just my slow internet or the limited processing power of the ipod, I'm not sure. Despite great difficulty in selecting the lemmings (by the sounds of it though, this might be fixed now), I managed to do the first couple of levels.

But, I tried it again just now, and it sits on the loading screen forever. :( I wonder if this latest update might have caused it ???

Offline bombsite

• View Profile
    • JS Lemmings
« Reply #80 on: June 28, 2011, 12:26:20 PM »
ClamSpammer - that bug was due to something else which I've just fixed!  Can you try again and let me know what happens?

I think the slow speed is probably due to the iPod not having much memory and/or slow processor.

In what way is selecting Lemmings difficult on the iPod?  Is it due to the small screen size?  Can you still drag the play area to see other parts of the level?

Offline Mr. K

• Former admin, always Lemmings fan
    • View Profile
    • Wafflenet
« Reply #81 on: June 28, 2011, 03:59:18 PM »

Android play testing would be great as I don't have access to a smartphone.

Re the audio issue, apparently HTML5 audio is supported starting at Android 2.3 according to what I've read online.  I don't know how easy it is to upgrade?

I've added some code which should now allow you to click/select Lemmings on Android/iPhone - could you let me know if it works now for you?  If it detects you're using a phone it should display 'phone' underneath the level timer.
Hmmm.  It just sits on the loading screen now.
Regarding Android 2.3, the update is not yet available for my phone but it is reportedly going to be released within the next month or so, so audio should work OK then.

Offline bombsite

• View Profile
    • JS Lemmings
« Reply #82 on: June 28, 2011, 04:30:55 PM »
Seems like I'll have to look into that a bit further then.  I've now removed the offending code so it should 'work' as it did previously.

Are you able to get any interaction with the Lemmings - e.g. can you get a target square to appear over any of them?

Offline Gronkling

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 28, 2011, 04:50:01 PM »
Thanks Gronkling!

What exactly is happening with the 'sinky basher'?  Was he in the terrain before he started bashing?

Re 'Turn Back Here', do you mean he did turn back there or he should have?

Sorry about my descriptions, I'm bad at them.  :P

When bashing through miner tunnels the lemmings sinks into the ground. 'Turn back here' meant the blocker field was going to far and turning the lemming round when he should of kept on going.

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 28, 2011, 10:15:32 PM »
Seems like I'll have to look into that a bit further then.  I've now removed the offending code so it should 'work' as it did previously.

Are you able to get any interaction with the Lemmings - e.g. can you get a target square to appear over any of them?

It seems to insist on using a cursor for selecting lemmings, as if I was on a regular computer with a mouse. It looks like I have to tap once to place the cursor, and tap again when a lemming is inside the cursor to use a skill. On a touchscreen device, it would make more sense to just tap the lemming to assign a skill.

Also, it seems I can't change the release rate. The other buttons work just fine (which is good, otherwise using skills would be impossible :P)

On the plus side, dragging and zooming work very well. :)

Offline bombsite

• View Profile
    • JS Lemmings
« Reply #85 on: June 28, 2011, 10:35:05 PM »
Gronkling - miners no longer leave a thin wall which other Lemmings could sometimes climb through.  I'm still looking into the other things you mentioned.

Offline bombsite

• View Profile
    • JS Lemmings
« Reply #86 on: June 28, 2011, 11:02:57 PM »
It seems to insist on using a cursor for selecting lemmings, as if I was on a regular computer with a mouse. It looks like I have to tap once to place the cursor, and tap again when a lemming is inside the cursor to use a skill. On a touchscreen device, it would make more sense to just tap the lemming to assign a skill.

I was thinking that could be the problem.  I think I've come up with a solution for this - I'll let you know when I've implemented it.

Also, it seems I can't change the release rate. The other buttons work just fine (which is good, otherwise using skills would be impossible :P)

That's strange.  I'll look into it.

On the plus side, dragging and zooming work very well. :)

Well, at least something works!!  Does the sound work OK?

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 28, 2011, 11:18:25 PM »
Well, at least something works!!  Does the sound work OK?

Unless I've missed something in the settings... no, the sound doesn't work. :-\

Offline bombsite

• View Profile
    • JS Lemmings
« Reply #88 on: June 29, 2011, 04:23:23 PM »
Unless I've missed something in the settings... no, the sound doesn't work. :-\

I don't know if iPod supports HTML5 audio - I think the iPad and iPhone do.

A couple of changes made today: fallers don't fall so far inside the terrain any more (see Gronkling's picture above), and I have increased the speed of fallers and floaters as per info from Simon.

Offline bombsite

• View Profile
    • JS Lemmings
« Reply #89 on: June 30, 2011, 10:18:52 AM »
Have you ever seen the login system on TVTropes? It's quite a simple one: pick a name and password (which doesn't have any restrictions like length or having to have numbers and letters, since it's not like it's worth anyone's time to steal it) and the site remembers it and puts a little cookie on your computer with just the name and password. No email confirmation or anything like that, because that's just annoying.

I've implemented a system similar to that on TVTropes, but it is based on IP address so no cookies will need to be stored on your computer.  There is an optional password so that if your IP address changes in the future, you can still get your old username back.  And you can also still log in via Facebook if you want, although out of the 115 people who have tested the game so far, only 4 have chosen to do this!