Author Topic: Game boy Lemmings  (Read 14413 times)

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Game boy Lemmings
« Reply #45 on: December 10, 2005, 08:02:37 PM »
I like the ONML music. About as much as I as the original one.
The original music has much more variety of course, and since there are more tracks, there are more really good tracks, but also some I really can't stand (by name the CanCan & Mountain, I think I heard them far too often and now it is annoying for me (the Genesis versions of these are ok for me however), Doggie, these strange noise sounds really bad, I don't really like Tim5 either), which ONML hasn't.
And yes, I prefer the DOS versions of the ONML tracks...which reminds me to ask: is there a way to extract the adlib samples out of a .dro file? I don't know anything about this format.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 10, 2005, 11:25:32 PM »
Quote from: geoo89 link=1132683903/45#45 date=1134244957
And yes, I prefer the DOS versions of the ONML tracks...which reminds me to ask: is there a way to extract the adlib samples out of a .dro file? I don't know anything about this format.
The .dro file just records the raw commands to the sound card (with timing information), so the answer is yes and no--you can, but there isn't any fixed place in the file you can find the samples at.

I should also note that, in case you don't know already, the adlib sound card uses FM synthesis, so technically they aren't really "samples" ("instruments" is the more preferred term for them).

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 10, 2005, 11:35:01 PM »
Quote from: tseug link=1132683903/30#44 date=1134240175
SNES and Genesis have specific tunes attached to the levels (and I think maybe NES). The Genesis music is my favorite out of all the systems I've tried, it sounds completely different. So how many do each of those have?
Not sure why you'd ask, haven't you played thru the Genesis version yourself for example?

Not counting music outside of the levels, both games have the exact same music as the original version: &#A0;the 17 "regular" music plus the one unique music for each of the 4 "special" levels. &#A0;Although that said, the "Doggie" music is modified enough on both that they don't sound recognizably as "Doggie" on first listen.

P.S. &#A0;actually I guess I don't play the Genesis version enough to be sure off top of my head that all the music are there, but they probably are.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 10, 2005, 11:37:04 PM »
Quote from: tseug link=1132683903/30#44 date=1134240175
SNES and Genesis have specific tunes attached to the levels (and I think maybe NES).
The DOS version is really the only version I know of where the music aren't mapped to specific levels, except for the special graphics levels.

tseug

« Reply #49 on: December 11, 2005, 01:21:06 AM »
I noticed a few new ones on SNES and Genesis. It's hard to keep track when they are in a sort of random order.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 11, 2005, 01:49:45 AM »
Quote from: tseug link=1132683903/45#49 date=1134264066
I noticed a few new ones on SNES and Genesis. It's hard to keep track when they are in a sort of random order.
You're mistaken. I'm quite positive there are no new music in either version, except if you count music outside of levels (eg. ending credits music etc.) &#A0;And the ordering, at least for the SNES, is identical to the Amiga ordering (the ordering used by the jukebox).

Incidentally, on the SNES version if you press the select button while on the main menu, you get the other half of the menu where there's a "sound test" option. &#A0;In there you can find all the music in the game, both inside and outside of levels.

tseug

« Reply #51 on: December 11, 2005, 04:29:37 AM »
The ones I was considering new are actually very different versions of some original music. Tricky 23 and FANL2 are some good examples (those were mainly what I was thinking of).

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 11, 2005, 09:32:09 AM »
Quote from: tseug link=1132683903/45#51 date=1134275377
The ones I was considering new are actually very different versions of some original music. Tricky 23 and FANL2 are some good examples (those were mainly what I was thinking of).
I just checked and they are versions of "Lemming2" (jukebox #4) and "Lemming3" (#10). &#A0;I don't find them any more different than how the music differs generally from version to version. &#A0;Certainly the difference is far greater with the Genesis and Amiga/DOS versions of Doggie (try Sunsoft 19 for Genesis version of Doggie).